Cal @ Oregon (L 46-48)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

northbeachsf
Freshman

Re: Cal @ Oregon (Thu 6pm pst)

Post by northbeachsf »

oregontrack wrote:it's just a poorly constructed cluster. we don't have a single big man you can feed to get easy points, which is fine if you can shoot the basketball but of course we can't shoot. nobody can consistently get to the rim or draw a foul.

i said it right after artis got hurt and it looks truer each week: we had a nice little thing going with an extremely balanced roster where nobody had to do more than they were capable of doing. we were winning a lot of close games. artis going out threw a giant monkey wrench in that, and nobody is capable of stepping up. now we're losing a bunch of close games. it's not that artis was a superstar, he was just the straw that stirred the drink; we were balanced, and consistent, and everybody knew their role and played it well.
Exactly...good post. Oregon just needs to beat Utah and OSU and they will probably be fine. Right now, there is not a bad loss on the resume....Colorado, Cal (x2), and Cinci are probably going to be in the field. Stanford and UTEP are questionable, but both still have Top100 RPIs.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Kyle's Brother wrote:Why was 5'2 Loyd guarding one of their two shooters on the final shot? I seriously wish he would just transfer. It's not his fault he's being played so much, but he's absolutely killing us.

And I seriously hate pac 12 officials. They need to clear house and recruit an entire new officiating crew. I've never been so angry with officials so consistently. Literally all season.
I've been upset with conference officiating for about the last decade so it's probably one of those things that will never change, but would easily make games much more watchable.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Absolutely, the fact that we are tied for first is unbelievable, and we have far exceeded expectations already. With that being said, it's not often we get here and the fact that we are here makes these losses even tougher. Losing is one thing, but playing very bad basketball for 8 straight games really makes me mad.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

As long as Artis is out, my starting five:

Singler
Dotson
Austin
Kazemi
Emory
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Brophdog88 wrote:yes, we missed shots, but did people ever think that maybe, just maybe, the expectations you are setting are insanely unrealistic? we lost, it is by no means the end of the world, we still sit tied for first. Losing Artis was a HUGE blow, the team needs spacing, and he could shoot, and played pretty well overall, provided a much bigger threat than Lloyd. Now teams can pack the paint, its nowhere near as big of an issue. If you arent making shots outside, you arent going to find easy trips to the bucket everytime, especially when you really only have one shooter. This is not some loaded team full of all star talent,its a bunch of system guys that were playing well until a key cog in that system broke, now its just a matter of survivng till Artis comes back
I don't find it that unreasonable to expect this team to score more than 50 in a game, let alone more than 20 points in a half, especially at home.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Ducks only scored 34 points off of field goals, that's so bad.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Cal @ Oregon (Thu 6pm pst)

Post by OreDucks01284 »

thats my seat view at the game.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Outside of Kazemi, no one is playing ball right now. Pretty disgusting. Shooting 27% at home, get out of here. Garbage.

Not necessarily disappointed that we lost, but it's how we lost. Beating Stanford and OSU would make up for this, but the way we are playing, holy crap... Who knows?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

What makes the 2 losses at home so difficult to take is Oregon has played great defense, holding CU and Cal both to 48 points. Anytime you hold a team to 50 or less at home, it should be a win. Oregon just has no offensive intensity at home, unlike how they were playing against UW and WSU on the road.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

I don't think it's our expectations, I expect them to score 50-55 even without Artis. This team is UUUUGLY TO WATCH, CAN'T call it Offense. They scored 52, 54, 47 and 46 points in their four conference losses, in which at least 2 and probably 3 of them Oregon should have won.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

thomas time wrote:I don't think it's our expectations, I expect them to score 50-55 even without Artis. This team is UUUUGLY TO WATCH, CAN'T call it Offense. They scored 52, 54, 47 and 46 points in their four conference losses, in which at least 2 and probably 3 of them Oregon should have won.
3 conference losses by a grand total of 7 points is really tough to accept, considering each one of those games would have been easy wins with a healthy Artis.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Last 2:14 no points tonight and I think Cal and Colorado they went over 2 minutes without a fg, even with Artis out this team shouldn't be go 2-4 minutes without a fg to end three conference games.
nogerO
Senior

N.I.T.

Post by nogerO »

This team just isn't that talented and has a rough time shooting (duh!) Will be lucky to win one game at the N.I.T. IMHO...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

This team is insanely talented. We aren't scoring because we're playing 5v4 on offense. They basically aren't guarding Loyd. That just means more defensive pressure on everyone else.

I wish Altman would just go with a big line up. We'd be infinitely better off with Singler/Dotson/Kazemi bringing the ball up the court. If nothing else it forces the defense to actually defend everyone. I'm not sure what Dana has been thinking lately. He's looked completely inept in the last few games. Strange decisions at the end of games and what looks to me like a Chip Kelly-esque stubbornness.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: N.I.T.

Post by UOducksTK1 »

nogerO wrote:This team just isn't that talented and has a rough time shooting (duh!) Will be lucky to win one game at the N.I.T. IMHO...
Disagree. When your PG is 0-6 shooting, and your leading scorer is 1-13, and your whole team shoots 27%, you lose. The saddest part is this game was played at home.

We've scored over 70 points in 17 of our 27 games.

Nothing to do with talent. It's a lack of confidence. Lack of shooting. Lack of PG keeping the offense flowing. Etc.

If we weren't talented we wouldn't beat UNLV and UCLA on the road. And beat Arizona. No reason we can't be one of the top teams in the Pac-12. But the way we've played since Artis has been gone, we look more like a middle class team.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13