Oregon @ Utah (L 62-72)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

rockthief
Senior

Re: Oregon @ Utah (Sat 11:30am pst)

Post by rockthief »

Probably the worst free throw shooters I've ever seen. How is that possible? Field goal accuracy is pitiful. How can the miss so many shots close int? NIT is it I think. Will someone telll me if the team is playing better than expected or worse. Thank you
taylorwade
One Star Recruit

Post by taylorwade »

duckgrad99 wrote:Ask yourselves this question: How many players on this team can you say had a good season? I would say one, Kazemi. Others had their moments, but nobody else was really consistently good. This team needs a superstar. Come on down Aaron Gordon.
I'd agree with this. This team was playing so well at the start of they year, because everybody was playing good (not great) at the same time. We don't have that guy who can get his own shot, and consistently put up 15-20 points, so we need 5 or 6 guys to get about 10. It's hard for 5 or 6 guys to get 10 or more points each game though, and when that doesn't happen we look like a hot mess on offense.

I will say that before this weekend, this team has played consistently good defense, which has kept us in every game, even when our offense is piss poor. This weekend was a combination of not getting that balanced scoring, and not playing like we are capable of on the defensive side of the ball.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

taylorwade wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:Ask yourselves this question: How many players on this team can you say had a good season? I would say one, Kazemi. Others had their moments, but nobody else was really consistently good. This team needs a superstar. Come on down Aaron Gordon.
I'd agree with this. This team was playing so well at the start of they year, because everybody was playing good (not great) at the same time. We don't have that guy who can get his own shot, and consistently put up 15-20 points, so we need 5 or 6 guys to get about 10. It's hard for 5 or 6 guys to get 10 or more points each game though, and when that doesn't happen we look like a hot mess on offense.

I will say that before this weekend, this team has played consistently good defense, which has kept us in every game, even when our offense is piss poor. This weekend was a combination of not getting that balanced scoring, and not playing like we are capable of on the defensive side of the ball.
This weekend was really the case of Oregon showing all its weaknesses at once and the opposing team pouncing on them. I still think this team can bounce back but they'll have to find what went wrong and fix them. Also, they'll need some real intensity to make sure they win at least one conference tourney game, which looks to be the winner of either the 6/11 or 5/12 games, depending on how things finish out.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Altman is an excellent coach. If Romar or EK was coaching this team, they would be lucky to have 10 wins total. This team is not that good and the talent is very marginal or young. Cal, AZ, UCLA, and possibly Colorado and UW all have better pure talent than Oregon. Consider this?
1) Kazemi is a great rebounder but can't shoot.
2) Woods has the body, but not the coordination.
3) Our starting back court is two freshman.
4) Our Senior leader's knees are destroyed
5) For some reason, our best player comes off the bench.
6) Our backup PG can't shoot or guard anyone on the perimeter
7) Carter is probably the only player off the bench other than Emory that is capable of contributing consistantly at the Pac-12 level.

And to be clear, they may not be tournament bound. Bubble teams, Villanova, Kentucky, Temple, Boise State, Cal, etc. are all now ahead of Oregon in the RPI rankings. Tennessee and Mississippi are "first four out" right now and both are right behind Oregon in the RPI standings. Oregon only has 3 Top 50 wins and a SOS above 100. If they don't win a confernece tourney game, they will be in the NIT.

taylorwade wrote:We sure have some fair weather fans don't we. This team just finished tied for second in the PAC-12 this year, how many of you had that happening before the season started? To say this team isn't a tournament team is just stupid. We may have a bad seed and may go out in the first round, but this team is 23-8 and has some big wins on their resume, they are a tournament team. Oh and Altman is a terrible coach and isn't an upgrade from Ernie, but yet he has won 20 games in each of his first three years with less talent than Ernie ever had. I understand being upset about how we have been playing, I was hoping for a much stronger finish to the season as well. Unless you are a new comer though, you remember how bad of shape this program was in just a couple of years ago. We had a great season, and took another step forward as a program this year. It's time for post season play, so lets get behind our team and hope they step it up.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

OregonFan4Life wrote:The system was a problem when Loyd was starting, that was not a system fit for Loyd. And Oregon does not get that many easy shots. They get some, but there is a reason they average more turnovers than assists and are 93rd in the nation at fg% at only 44% per game.
yes, there IS a reason they average more turnovers than assists. it's called an all-freshman backcourt, extended minutes for johnny loyd, and a 'best player' who happens to be very turnovers prone.

we're getting the same shots we got last year. last year, we had shooters. this year, we don't. we're (probably) going to be a tournament team regardless. because of coaching...
On top of that, Oregon is 249th, yes, 249th in the nation at rebounding. It's not like we're a really short team, usually we have the tallest guy on the court in Tony Woods. I know he plays soft, and I know he's easy to hate, but coaching has to take a lot of the blame too for how soft Oregon's bigs are and how horrible this team is at blocking out.
not really. woods is soft. it's not like he'd become a plus-rebounder if he played for, say, tom izzo. he's just not very good. it's all about aggressiveness and desire. woods doesn't have it. guys like kamezi and ej are plus-rebounders because they want that ball.
I know I'm in the minority, and maybe I'm expecting too much, but this has been my stance since Altman has been fired, I truly believe it, and I'll stick with it despite the insults and criticism I'll receive. If anyone brings a legitimate argument I'll respect their opinion. I just believe for multiple reasons that Altman is just an average coach at best. I can't see him winning a conference championship at Oregon, and as the Pac-12 gets better, I see Oregon finishing lower and lower. I hope I'm wrong, I want Altman to succeed, I just don't see it. I never said he's a terrible coach or worse than Ernie, I said I think he's overrated, mediocre, and not that much of an upgrade over Ernie. Again, when Ernie was coaching, the Pac-12 was at its best. These last few years under Altman, the Pac-12 has been garbaged that featured a season where the regular season championship didn't even make the NCAA tournament, that has helped Altman win 20 games each of his first three years.
// shrug the pac-12 is the 3rd best conference in the nation this year. it's not as strong as it has been in the past, but it's not like altman is coaching in the colonial league.

altman inherited a scorched earth scenario. the pac-12 is going to get better, but you're operating under the assumption that oregon won't for no other reason than, i'm pretty sure, a hunch.
ImageImageImageImageImage
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Glad I didn't see the game, sick of this team not having much offense
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Obviously this is incredibly disappointing. Hopefully they put the game behind them and put a good showing together in LV...

Going to miss the Maehl Man
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

thomas time wrote:Glad I didn't see the game, sick of this team not having much offense
It was the defense today that was horrible. The offense wasn't all that bad.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The standings are settled and Oregon will play the winner of the UW/WSU (#6/#11) game. Very winnable game against whoever wins there but Oregon really needs to be sharp or it's going to be a quick exit and a NIT bid.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

rockthief wrote:Probably the worst free throw shooters I've ever seen. How is that possible? Field goal accuracy is pitiful. How can the miss so many shots close int? NIT is it I think. Will someone telll me if the team is playing better than expected or worse. Thank you
NIT? Please, we could probably lose in the first round of the Pac-12 and still make the dance.

It's definitely disgusting how we've lost these last two games, but we will make the tournament. A first round win would add some definite insurance though.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13