Updated roster/Bell not qualified?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

maxduck
Senior

Re: Updated roster/Bell not qualified?

Post by maxduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:From MacMallard1 of freethrows:

Sure. He had a passing score, but his SAT results were challenged, by another Pac 12 coach, rumored to be located in a domicile about 40 miles north. (The "Chicago Way," don't you know ... if you can't beat 'em, destroy 'em ... the ends justify the means; by whatever means necessary."

My understanding is that the plan is to get Bell (with passing SAT score) in school at the start of Winter Term and Red-Shirt him.
Be skeptical of a McMallard posts regarding a coach. The guy is (or was) involved in finding college slots for high school kids. That service comes with a price tag, I'm sure. He was a big Ernie Kent supporter until EK kicked him out of practice, after which he lobbied furiously for his dismissal. He posted that Lorenzo Romar was easily the best coach in the Pac, great person, etc etc. He liked to talk about his relationship with Kelvin Sampson, before Sampson was run out of college basketball for recruiting violations. If Craig Robinson didn't give the the deference he believes he deserves (and he has a HUGE ego) I can easily believe he would spread unfounded rumors.

I read what he writes because he does have some good information sometimes. I believe he also wrote that Ray Schafer would be a first round pick. I should add he is why I cancelled my subscription to eDuck many years ago, after he made a couple of untrue charges about me.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Thanks for the feedback, max.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Yeah thanks max. I don't know much about the guy but from what I've read of him he definitely seems to sensationalize things. I usually just filter out that stuff and look for the real info. Like this info on Bell, I pretty much ignored the comments about Robinson and couldn't care less ha.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

maxduck wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:From MacMallard1 of freethrows:

Sure. He had a passing score, but his SAT results were challenged, by another Pac 12 coach, rumored to be located in a domicile about 40 miles north. (The "Chicago Way," don't you know ... if you can't beat 'em, destroy 'em ... the ends justify the means; by whatever means necessary."

My understanding is that the plan is to get Bell (with passing SAT score) in school at the start of Winter Term and Red-Shirt him.
Be skeptical of a McMallard posts regarding a coach. The guy is (or was) involved in finding college slots for high school kids. That service comes with a price tag, I'm sure. He was a big Ernie Kent supporter until EK kicked him out of practice, after which he lobbied furiously for his dismissal. He posted that Lorenzo Romar was easily the best coach in the Pac, great person, etc etc. He liked to talk about his relationship with Kelvin Sampson, before Sampson was run out of college basketball for recruiting violations. If Craig Robinson didn't give the the deference he believes he deserves (and he has a HUGE ego) I can easily believe he would spread unfounded rumors.

I read what he writes because he does have some good information sometimes. I believe he also wrote that Ray Schafer would be a first round pick. I should add he is why I cancelled my subscription to eDuck many years ago, after he made a couple of untrue charges about me.
This May or may not all be true, but I've heard from other people that Bells SAT have been red flagged twice now. Meaning it might even be multiple coaches, and not just the one up the street. Generally a sat gets flagged when it jumps up to much from the first one. I hope this gets resolved so bell can still attend UO at some point.
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

Can he gray shirt? Is that not for partial qualifiers? I know it is used by coaches that over fill their classes in football. But I recall it also is used for borderline qualifiers. Red shirting imply s he got accepted and would be an early enrollee.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Just saw Matt (mops) say that Bell is expected to be in Eugene in dec, and will enroll for winter term. He also said he is hearing he will RS this year, and be ready to go next year. Next year could be a big year for UO, we will only lose 3 players, but just one starter in Austin. Our bigs, provided they all live up to potential, could be the best we have had in the last 30 years with Bell, Kasongo, Carter and Chandler.

As for GS, I'm not sure why they would want to do that with bell? He isn't going to want to GS this year, then sit out RS next year. Use the RS and call it a day.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

buckmarkduck wrote:Just saw Matt (mops) say that Bell is expected to be in Eugene in dec, and will enroll for winter term. He also said he is hearing he will RS this year, and be ready to go next year. Next year could be a big year for UO, we will only lose 3 players, but just one starter in Austin. Our bigs, provided they all live up to potential, could be the best we have had in the last 30 years with Bell, Kasongo, Carter and Chandler.

As for GS, I'm not sure why they would want to do that with bell? He isn't going to want to GS this year, then sit out RS next year. Use the RS and call it a day.
Isn't it more than 3? Moser (starter), Lloyd (pretty much a starter), Calliste, Amardi, and Austin.

That's 5 guys and 3 of them are starters or starting material, so their loss is just as big. I agree that next year has potential to be big but the team is losing a lot. Everyone from the 5, besides Young, that put the game away down the stretch against Georgetown will be gone.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Forgot Amarti was a one and done player, and didn't really count Austin as a starter. Seems like he's just keeping the spot warm until Carter comes back, or Armati takes it. Lloyd has been a great Duck, but Artis is so good I don't think we will miss him much. IMHO Artis is much further along at this point than Brooks was.

Next years team will be stacked any way you cut it. Artis, Young and Dotson are all three potential NBA players, and throw in The rest and that's a deep and talented team, with some freak athletes like Bell, Basset and Cook. In a lot of ways it seems Altman is coping Louisville team from last year.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

I was more asking what is the difference except he could still use a red shirt if he got hurt. No biggy. The real question is , if he can redshirt then would he not be eligible to play this year although he would be behind, we could still use him a lot near tourny time.