ONE MORE YEAR!!!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: ONE MORE YEAR!!!

Post by Boom »

buckmarkduck wrote:I see DAT leaving and Ifo, possibly TMitch, but he strikes me as a guy who wants to be a high draft pick and right now he's a 3-4 round guy. Grasu IMHO is a 5th rounder right now he's been up and down this year.

Marcus keeps to himself, but he seems like the type who enjoys being in school and will stay and get that degree. He's a guy who was patient enough to stay at a HS who wasn't starting him, when I'm sure he had people telling him to transfer and start anywhere else. I also think in 2015 he could be the #1 pick. No Clowney, no Teddy, no one except MM.
There's always someone.. There are several highly rated juniors that could decide to play their senior years.. and because of positional value he's not really competing against Clowney. The first 5 picks could easily be QBs in this years draft. I'm not sure what the money difference is, but I don't think being the #1 pick is as substantial as it was before the rookie cap.

Also.. I'm not so sure that MM couldn't surpass Teddy Bridgewater as the #1 QB taking.
Last edited by Boom on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Phenom wrote:
Boom wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:Mariota doesn't strike me as the type of kid who is only here to "do his time" until he can make himself draft eligible. I love DAT, but he pretty much hinted at that while he was being recruited. And that's fine, that's great for DAT and he is gone this year, but Mariota? I doubt it.
Matiota has a significantly higher draft ceiling that DAT... Sarkisan wasn't blowing smoke when he said Mariota will be a top 5 pick. I would be really surprised if he comes back for a 4th year.
Good thing next year is only going to be his 3rd.
He's a redshirt sophmore. This is his 3rd year.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

QuackininBama wrote:
Boom wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:Mariota doesn't strike me as the type of kid who is only here to "do his time" until he can make himself draft eligible. I love DAT, but he pretty much hinted at that while he was being recruited. And that's fine, that's great for DAT and he is gone this year, but Mariota? I doubt it.
Matiota has a significantly higher draft ceiling that DAT... Sarkisan wasn't blowing smoke when he said Mariota will be a top 5 pick. I would be really surprised if he comes back for a 4th year.
Your looking at it analytically rather than from a personal perspective. Yes, so far Mariota looks like a 1st round pick. That doesn't automatically mean he is going to leave. You have to look at Mariota and decide, what does HE want? Does he want to jump right to the NFL or get his degree? Take the numbers out of the equation and think about Mariota as a person. His personality type doesn't strike me and jumping to the NFL just because he can.
Most of our guys go to summer school and graduate early.. finishing his degree won't be a problem.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

Phenom wrote:
Boom wrote:
4th year junior in 2014. Two reasons that Mariota comes back is that he is only going to be 20 and the draft next year is really going to be QB heavy. That being said, he doesn't have much more to prove and will do well either way.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

rentdodger1 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
Boom wrote:
4th year junior in 2014. Two reasons that Mariota comes back is that he is only going to be 20 and the draft next year is really going to be QB heavy. That being said, he doesn't have much more to prove and will do well either way.
I don't have any idea what his thoughts are, but the fact that this draft is going to be QB heavy would be one reason to stay. On the other hand, if I'm not mistaken, three of our O-Lineman our seniors, so to lose Grasu, Fisher and Johnstone could have a huge impact on his decision. Injury would have to be a concern and if 6 out of 9 experienced lineman were leaving he might have some thinking to do.
John 3:36
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Out of all the people to declare early.. I'd be most concerned about Tyler Johnstone and if Ifo & Mitchel declare together. I think our secondary will be fine if only one of them leaves early though.
andreezy
Two Star Recruit

Post by andreezy »

MM will be a 4th year junior next year
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Boom wrote:Out of all the people to declare early.. I'd be most concerned about Tyler Johnstone and if Ifo & Mitchel declare together. I think our secondary will be fine if only one of them leaves early though.
I agree, Dior Matthis has looked really good this year but Toy Hill has looked unreliable at times.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

SuperDuck wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
Boom wrote:
I don't have any idea what his thoughts are, but the fact that this draft is going to be QB heavy would be one reason to stay. On the other hand, if I'm not mistaken, three of our O-Lineman our seniors, so to lose Grasu, Fisher and Johnstone could have a huge impact on his decision. Injury would have to be a concern and if 6 out of 9 experienced lineman were leaving he might have some thinking to do.
Grasu, Fisher and Johnstone are also back next year if they so choose. All of these guys will go through draft evals. It would be surprising if any of them would go if not 1st round. I doubt any OL player would eval better than 2-3 rounders. Maybe one of the benefits of having Chip Kelly in the league is these underclassmen considering a move up will have someone that will give them a realistic assessment of what they can expect and where they might fit.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Marcus, DAT, and Ifo are on the roster next year.
AKA: CAgrown
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Elduderino wrote:I'd be pleasantly surprised if Marcus, DAT, and Ifo are on the roster next year.
Honestly, I will be surprised if Marcus or DAT jump this year.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

karlhungis wrote:
Elduderino wrote:I'd be pleasantly surprised if Marcus, DAT, and Ifo are on the roster next year.
Honestly, I will be surprised if Marcus or DAT jump this year.
Your optimism is to be admired. Here's to hoping you're correct.
AKA: CAgrown
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

There are all sorts of reasons it makes sense for Marcus to stick around another season, which is why he likely will.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Boom wrote:Out of all the people to declare early.. I'd be most concerned about Tyler Johnstone and if Ifo & Mitchel declare together. I think our secondary will be fine if only one of them leaves early though.
I agree, Dior Matthis has looked really good this year but Toy Hill has looked unreliable at times.
Isn't Hill ahead of Dior on the depth chart? I've seen him on D more. That being said, I expect a dropoff at CB. I hope Seisay can step up. In fact, I could see us having to replace an entire secondary. I like Dargan at safety, though and I've heard lots of good things about Daniels.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Phenom wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Isn't Hill ahead of Dior on the depth chart? I've seen him on D more. That being said, I expect a dropoff at CB. I hope Seisay can step up. In fact, I could see us having to replace an entire secondary. I like Dargan at safety, though and I've heard lots of good things about Daniels.
When I first started posting here everyone was wondering about our secondary. They were depleted, lost a lot to graduation, who was going to step up...I think they did ok!