Ernie Kent and his standing with our assumed AD

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ivegottabigduck
Three Star Recruit

Ernie Kent and his standing with our assumed AD

Post by ivegottabigduck »

So will Mike Bellotti Pull Ernie Kents card if we go winless in the PAC-10?

Discuss
OreDucks01284
Senior

Re: Ernie Kent and his standing with our assumed AD

Post by OreDucks01284 »

it may not be MB doing that,I think PK will do it b4 he step out of AD
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

I was talking with my brother about that the other day...I was thinking thats why we've heard sometime in March as when Belotti would step into that spot so that PK would be able to assess EK and make the move if needed so it wouldn't be put on MB's shoulders and PK could just walk away and the situation would be over with.
ivegottabigduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ivegottabigduck »

Kilkenny succeeded in basically all but eliminating a huge buyout penalty for firing EK. ANy body know how close MB and EK are?
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I don't know, but while Belloti's teams are good 3 out of every 4 years, Kent's teams are good 1 out of every 4 years. That's unacceptable, especially with all of the talent they have had.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

I remember Mops said that, PK will go through Review on Men Bball and Women Bball and decided if both coaches need to go or not. MB have alot of Friends in Ducks Program, and i think he dont want to fire his friends so PK will do it before he step out.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Well, it seems the writing is on the wall...EK is a very quality recruiter and decent coach of guards and forwards/wings, but when it comes to coaching the big mans game, he doesnt have a clue..Never has and never will, imo...And without a big mans game, you are sometimes a bridesmaid at best, but never the bride.....
We now need to be concerned about filling the new arena...And this season isnt gonna be a gr8 help in doing so....
He needs to go, AT THE END OF THIS SEASON.....I never have been fond of in-season firings, but at this rate, as of the last game on March 11th, the regular season is essentially over.....Forget about the Pac 10 tourney....or any other post season play....We all knew that these kids were not gonna be competitive in the Pac this year, but it would have been nice to see some level of team play, through out a major portion of a game.
Bye...Bye......EK.......
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

I'm ready to join the "Fire Ernie Kent" club ... where do I sign?
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1122 ... is-ticking

I think that is a solid article. While the football program seems to have a ton of momentum, the basketball program is dead.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

I don't think it's dead by any means...But I do think if we go 0-18 there's no way you can't fire EK...I would hate to see him go but I would fully support it because you just can't go winless...But I do feel like he only needs 1 win to keep his job and I think thats the way it should be...This team is young and they're gonna be really good and I think it would be nice to have a recruiter that can bring in talent to add to this group as they get older...Thats the struggle with this team is that they recruited to surround Malik, Maarty, Bryce and Champ with role players to make a run and Champ bailed and they struggled in the second half of the game against Miss State...It's gonna take a year or 2 to get those role players out and to start building around this class
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

pudgejeff wrote:I don't think it's dead by any means...But I do think if we go 0-18 there's no way you can't fire EK...I would hate to see him go but I would fully support it because you just can't go winless...But I do feel like he only needs 1 win to keep his job and I think thats the way it should be...This team is young and they're gonna be really good and I think it would be nice to have a recruiter that can bring in talent to add to this group as they get older...Thats the struggle with this team is that they recruited to surround Malik, Maarty, Bryce and Champ with role players to make a run and Champ bailed and they struggled in the second half of the game against Miss State...It's gonna take a year or 2 to get those role players out and to start building around this class
What if they only win 1 or 2 games , should Kent be canned? I think so, but I would be ok if they allowed him one more year to see if he can "coach" this "young" team to a tournament appearance, if not he must go!
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

Kilkenny loves Kent. Gotta love it when your AD says he didn't expect much this year.
Robstu
One Star Recruit

Post by Robstu »

duckgrad99 wrote:http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

Kilkenny loves Kent. Gotta love it when your AD says he didn't expect much this year.
Klilkenny may love Kent, but I think there are others that can swing the ax it's not purely up to him... Boosters money can go along way to decide and they've been itching in the past to axe Kent, and with a new $200 million dollar arena on the way, Kilkenny is going to need all those booster dollars he can get. So just the fact that the AD likes Kent doesn't in my mind save his job at the end of the season. Money talks.
ducksball
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksball »

I dont know how this problem can be fixed. But has anyone noticed how every 4 years we have a huge amount of schollies. Then hardly any in between. This is what accounts for our lack of veteran leadership and our inconsistency.
blackjack17
Three Star Recruit

Post by blackjack17 »

Kent is a great recruiter, but perhaps the Pac10 was too big of a step for him. I loved the original hire, a UO hero to lead us, and his recruiting only helped, but in the long run we see what he has done with the program and we realize that while he is a good coach, he is not a great coach. If Kent stays we will find success at times, and if he is gone . . . . well, that is just as hard to predict as Kent's proverbial next season.