Hmmm... Black Bart's stash? Nope... Gov't. loophole appears.

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Re: Hmmm... Black Bart's stash? Nope... Gov't. loophole appe

Post by woundedknees »

You knew it had to happen, as "In Too Good To Be True":

"$10M Gold Coin Hoard Found in Yard May Have Been Stolen From Mint"

http://gma.yahoo.com/10m-gold-coin-hoar ... .html?vp=1

"A California couple who found a stash of buried gold coins valued at $10 million may not be so lucky after all. The coins may have been stolen from the US Mint in 1900 and thus be the property of the government, according to a published report."

If this had been proven to be stolen from a private citizen, the outcome would be different... Strange how that works, eh?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

That's because the Gov't doesn't have anymore gold. Ask Germany about that 7-year plan, lol.

A family in PA lost $80M in gold coins because according to the judge "The coins in question were not lawfully removed from the United States Mint,”
http://rt.com/usa/gold-coins-pennsylvania-family-626/

The reality we live in this country is that if the Gov't wants to do it, We The People will acquiesce and allow it to happen.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

Duck07 wrote:That's because the Gov't doesn't have anymore gold. Ask Germany about that 7-year plan, lol.

A family in PA lost $80M in gold coins because according to the judge "The coins in question were not lawfully removed from the United States Mint,”
http://rt.com/usa/gold-coins-pennsylvania-family-626/

The reality we live in this country is that if the Gov't wants to do it, We The People will acquiesce and allow it to happen.

I'd be so, so pissed.
AKA: CAgrown
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Interesting development:

"We do not have any information linking the Saddle Ridge Hoard coins to any thefts at any United States Mint facility," mint officials said in a statement issued Tuesday.

http://news.msn.com/us/california-gold- ... f-theories

"Even if the mint had coins on hand covering a span of 47 years, which is unlikely, those in the hoard include some so badly worn that they wouldn't have been there, said David McCarthy, Kagin's chief numismatist."

"Another coin, dated 1876, was in such pristine condition that it wouldn't have been there either."

"It doesn't have a single marking on it," McCarthy said. "That coin couldn't have sat in a bag in the San Francisco Mint and looked like that. It would have had what we call 'bag marks' all over it."

Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Man I hope they get this money or at least I 20% finder fee.

We should all learn a lesson from this...when one finds buried treasure one SHOULD NOT report it to the media or any authorities.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Better to get in touch with the "Send Your Gold, And We'll Send You A Check" site... You will likely receive a more honest return than the gov't would provide.

Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

woundedknees wrote:Better to get in touch with the "Send Your Gold, And We'll Send You A Check" site... You will likely receive a more honest return than the gov't would provide.

I'm not going to lie...I would totally destroy the all those coins despite the historical significance and get my buddy that runs a gold swap shop to melt them down out of fear of some kind of bullshit
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Biggus Duckus wrote:Just keep the stash to yourself and sell the coins a few at a time. You get the historical significance but don't have to deal with the government.

The good news is the US mint said this stash didn't come from them
Agreed. Another irony here is that the face value of the coins is $27000. If they didn't sell them, I wonder what would happen if they just claimed that amount on their taxes?
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Bud Lee wrote:
woundedknees wrote:Better to get in touch with the "Send Your Gold, And We'll Send You A Check" site... You will likely receive a more honest return than the gov't would provide.

I'm not going to lie...I would totally destroy the all those coins despite the historical significance and get my buddy that runs a gold swap shop to melt them down out of fear of some kind of bullshit
Melting them down would be a huge mistake.