How Much Improvement Has Jeff Lockie Shown?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

How Much Improvement Has Jeff Lockie Shown?

Post by SuperDuck »

Does anyone have any inside info on how Lockie looks this year? Is he showing obvious improvement, making better decisions, better throws, etc? I'm just curious because I haven't heard anything about him other than in Moseley's reports.
John 3:36
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Re: How Much Improvement Has Jeff Lockie Shown?

Post by duck541 »

I think it's a good sign that he pulled away from Rodrigues to make him want to transfer. That said, he doesn't seem to have an elite tools so I don't think his ceiling is as high as Mahalak or Waller. Should he win the job next year, with guys we bring back, I think he'll do good job. Like DT level good.

Next year's QB situation will be interesting to watch. We should have a great units all around them so they will definitely be in a situation to succeed. I don't think he'll start but I'm pretty intrigued by Ty Griffin. Reports out of GT were that he had improved a lot. Apparently he's made some pretty big strides in the month he's been here and with a whole year running the scout team I think he could be pretty good. He certainly brings a level of athleticism that the other guys don't have.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm not gonna lie, I'm also curious about Taylor Allie. I know he didn't shoot the lights out in the spring game, but this is a guy who walked on and seems to be improving at a rapid rate. Even Helfrich, in a recent interview, seemed to indicate that Allie may have more of an intuitive feel for the game than Lockie, which is saying something.

The QB battle next year could get real interesting... Lockie vs. Allie vs. Griffin, and MAYBE throw Waller into the mix as well, although I'm skeptical about starting a true freshman QB when there's so much on the line.

EDIT: We'll probably get more clarity regarding the QB situation during the second half of Saturday's game. I really hope Allie gets in there for at least a series... seems like he's earned it with his hard work.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote:I'm not gonna lie, I'm also curious about Taylor Allie. I know he didn't shoot the lights out in the spring game, but this is a guy who walked on and seems to be improving at a rapid rate. Even Helfrich, in a recent interview, seemed to indicate that Allie may have more of an intuitive feel for the game than Lockie, which is saying something.

The QB battle next year could get real interesting... Lockie vs. Allie vs. Griffin, and MAYBE throw Waller into the mix as well, although I'm skeptical about starting a true freshman QB when there's so much on the line.

EDIT: We'll probably get more clarity regarding the QB situation during the second half of Saturday's game. I really hope Allie gets in there for at least a series... seems like he's earned it with his hard work.
OMG Pez isn't including Mahalak :o Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war!

:lol:
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

pezsez1 wrote: The QB battle next year could get real interesting... Lockie vs. Allie vs. Griffin, and MAYBE throw Waller into the mix as well, although I'm skeptical about starting a true freshman QB when there's so much on the line.
Yep. The QB battle could get really interesting next year. I'm sure they could redshirt Waller with no problem, but if they've got Allie or Griffin ahead of Mahalak next fall I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer. Hopefully, if Griffin can't win the QB job, he would be okay with changing positions, like Darryle Hawkins did. If not there'll be a couple unhappy guys. Of course, if Mahalak doesn't beat them out for #2 it wouldn't be a major issue anyway. I'm hoping that he'll win the starting job next year.

I'd like to see Lockie get the opportunity to get some more meaningful snaps this year (just not because Mariota got hurt). That's the only way he's going to get better. I hope we at least blow out Cal, Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. That would give him some opportunities.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

I think Lockie will definitely see some time this year. We should have a couple blow out wins.

I think it's cool Allie has done so well as a walk on but his natural abilities will never let him be the starter. The dude is too small, and his arm looks pretty weak.

It will most likely be Lockie vs Mahalak next year. I could see Mahalak sticking around since Lockie will be a junior and he will still be a freshman. If we loses to Waller after that he could still transfer with two to play elsewhere.

Griffin is a long shot but it would cool to see a package for him where he can use his athleticism.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Oops, forgot about Morgan!!!

Throw him into the mix too. :D

Seems like someone is bound to transfer by next spring.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:Oops, forgot about Morgan!!!

Throw him into the mix too. :D

Seems like someone is bound to transfer by next spring.

It could happen. Actually, I forgot how young Lockie still is. For some reason I've been thinking that he's been around longer, but he's only a sophomore. That, plus he had to split all of the available reps before now with JakeRod, so the kid hasn't really gotten a fair chance yet.

If Lockie wins the job next year over Mahalak and Waller it's hard to say what would happen. Also, with Mahalak redshirting this season, won't he and Waller be only one year apart?
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

duck541 wrote:I think Lockie will definitely see some time this year. We should have a couple blow out wins.

I think it's cool Allie has done so well as a walk on but his natural abilities will never let him be the starter. The dude is too small, and his arm looks pretty weak.

It will most likely be Lockie vs Mahalak next year. I could see Mahalak sticking around since Lockie will be a junior and he will still be a freshman. If we loses to Waller after that he could still transfer with two to play elsewhere.

Griffin is a long shot but it would cool to see a package for him where he can use his athleticism.
Maybe i'm wrong, but even if we do see alot of Lockie (or anyone), we ain't gunna see no passing......When Marcus and the starters have put up 50 by the 2nd or 3rd quarter, do you really think the coaches keep the same game-plan up? No, its going to be handoff city! which will be pretty intriguing with the RB depth we have nonetheless...
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

My brother was just asking me the other day about Mahalak too. I feel like neither him nor Lockie have been talked about too much during Fall Camp, which is understandable when they are overshadowed by the best QB in the nation.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ I heard Morgan is taking a bit longer to grasp the playbook than most would have liked
DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Post by DAT#6 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ I heard Morgan is taking a bit longer to grasp the playbook than most would have liked
Yeah there is a reason that true freshmen rarely play QB.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

DAT#6 wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:^ I heard Morgan is taking a bit longer to grasp the playbook than most would have liked
Yeah there is a reason that true freshmen rarely play QB.

Bellotti was talking about that yesterday on CFB Daily. He said he'd prefer to never play a true freshman or even a redshirt freshman. I don't want to argue with the coach. Actually, I understand his reasoning. Of course it would be nice to always have a redshirt junior waiting in the wings (as he quoted from Bobby Bowden), but I tend to believe that some younger players are more prepared these days than they were 10-15 years ago.

With all of the QB camps, many high schools using the spread offense, etc, depending on the situation, I don't see it as being as big of a deal as it used to be.

Also, coaching can have a HUGE impact! Look at what Chip did with a 5th string QB in the Sun Bowl against USF.

All that said, Mahalak had better get his nose in the book if he expects to make an impact early in his career.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Lockie's decent. He would be one of our worst starters in recent history if he would play. If there's a comparison...I would say Roper. Game managers, which isn't a bad thing. 9-10 win seasons max.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Phenom wrote:Lockie's decent. He would be one of our worst starters in recent history if he would play. If there's a comparison...I would say Roper. Game managers, which isn't a bad thing. 9-10 win seasons max.
It's just so hard to say. We've never seen him play significant minutes against a top notch opponent in a tight game and I hope we don't have to anytime this year.