#7 Michigan State @ #3 Oregon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: #7 Michigan State @ #3 Oregon

Post by Duck07 »

Can we please stop repeating this fallacy that MSU is going to be a power running team like Stanford? We'll see more shotgun snaps from MSU than we've seen from Stanford in 3 years. I doubt we see a 6th OL brought on the field let alone a 7th or 8th OL. Stanford runs a man blocking scheme, MSU runs a zone blocking scheme. Yes, Langford is a good RB and they will try to consistently get him the ball and I'm sure we'll even see a few pulling guards at times but that doesn't equate to a Stanford type running game.

----

I like the pistol formation in this game because we can balance the offense by having 2 WR/TEs to each side with the RB behind the QB. (of course, where the ball is spotted on the hash makes a big difference in college since they're wider lines) You'll recall that we typically see the RB on the side which also allows the D to start to key where a play might go. If we're balanced in the pistol and Sparty is in its Base Nickel, they can't bring a man late into the box because they can no longer "pick" a side because it could be just as likely that the play goes away from them.

We don't need to crack 20 yard runs off with it as much like the video above, we need to simply create that second of hesitation for the young LBs of MSU so that we are getting 5+ yards on each run by giving different looks. 5 yard runs allow our offense to keep the pace up and if we can do that consistently, we should cover the spread and win.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm honestly not worried about our ability to stop Stanford's offense. Cut out the mistakes, and we would have been good enough defensively last season.

What I'm more curious to see is whether our offense can carve up Stanford's defense. I think our offense is already better this year than last year, especially against teams like Stanford. DAT was amazing, but let's face it... Tyner and Royce are both better options as "every down" backs, and Royce brings a dimension to our running game that's been missing since Blount. Then there's Marshal, who may have the best hands of any runningback we've had in a very long time.

And, of course, Mariota being healthy would probably be the difference by itself.

That said, I'm most curious to see MSU's D against our offense, and not really MSU's offense against our D. Isn't MSU's D somewhat comparable to Stanford's D? Big, fast, physical with speedy, smart, bruising linebackers?

A big win against MSU would put Stanford's D on notice, imo... but perhaps I'm wrong on this... thoughts, anyone?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

For some reason our games against the Big10 are always closer than I'd like, but we usually pull them out if we don't make mistakes. It's not going to be a blowout (I don't think anyway), but Stanford and USC are much better teams than anyone in the big10 right now.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Well...always close except for that beautiful Michigan game
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote: That said, I'm most curious to see MSU's D against our offense, and not really MSU's offense against our D. Isn't MSU's D somewhat comparable to Stanford's D? Big, fast, physical with speedy, smart, bruising linebackers?

A big win against MSU would put Stanford's D on notice, imo... but perhaps I'm wrong on this... thoughts, anyone?
Other than the scheme differences, there are some similarities between the defenses but where MSU is really lacking this year is at LB. The guy with the most experience Taiwan Jones has moved from OLB inside to Mike and is now responsible for making all of the calls. Training camp reports and the first game showed that he still hasn't taken over that spot as well as Max Bullough last year and I don't think the OLB can cover our Rbs out of the backfield all night long.

Because they run a 43 and not a 34, they don't have DL that are as large as Stanford but they have a faster team defense imo. I think we're better capable of handling speedy DEs than we are strong, bruising OLBs/DEs like Trenty Murphy, Ben Gardner etc and I believe where we'll see the most improvement on our offense is our ability to get push from Hamani, Hroniss and Hunt/Pisarcik inside. I don't think a 21 point beatdown would mean anything to Stanford though as they are going to go into our game later this year with the confidence that they've beaten us before. I think our D could send a message to the Stanford O but I think the Cardinal D won't care what we do in this game beyond how they'll try to stop whatever new schemes were playing.

We're going to see a lot of man coverage and if/when MSU brings 6, I think we've just got too much speed for them to be successful against a QB like Marcus who will hurt em on the ground and through the air.
Last edited by Duck07 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I Think Duck07 has some valid points in the differences between Stanford and Michigan State. Michigan State does run a different defense than Stanford. I am not sure that they have enough experience going against a spread offense to be able to say they can stop it. Speed has always been a problem for the Big 10 conference. They have not faired well against the speed of the SEC and as a whole the conference has struggled against the Pac 12. One thing for certain is that Michigan State is going to line up and try to smash Oregon in the mouth. Oregon has to take that and continue to fight back and as mentioned use their speed to wear Michigan State down.

I am currently watching College Football live... and Desmond Howard is not sold on Oregon. Oregon has a lot of doubters when it comes to matching up against Michigan State. I think some of the comparisons to Stanford last year are a little bit on the ridiculous side considering Mariotta was operating with 1 leg. I do think that if Oregon does lose though people will think this is more fuel to the fire that Oregon can not beat those kind of teams and therefore does not belong being 1 of the 4 teams in the playoffs. In some aspects Oregon can not win. If they do win... then people will say the Big 10 is not that good.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

A major difference between the Stanford and MSU D is the Cardinal spend an entire year with an eye to stopping Oregon. In addition they often see the Ducks as they break down film of other conference opponents--what works, what doesn't. MSU doesn't have that advantage.

Didn't Wisconsin have a formidable Big 10 defense and a month to prepare? Oregon put up 45 in the Rose Bowl. I won't be surprised to see a similar number tomorrow. Besides, Autzen is good for a few points by itself.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

maxduck wrote:A major difference between the Stanford and MSU D is the Cardinal spend an entire year with an eye to stopping Oregon. In addition they often see the Ducks as they break down film of other conference opponents--what works, what doesn't. MSU doesn't have that advantage.

Didn't Wisconsin have a formidable Big 10 defense and a month to prepare? Oregon put up 45 in the Rose Bowl. I won't be surprised to see a similar number tomorrow. Besides, Autzen is good for a few points by itself.

Another huge advantage that Stanford had is that there are so many teams in the conference that run the spread now. It's not anything new to them anymore. UW ran elements of the spread under Sark and USC is now, too. UCLA, Arizona and ASU all run the spread, as well.

When you face it 5-6 times per year it's much easier to prepare for. Those guys are already conditioned to face it defensively.

That being said, I see things changing at Stanford that will bring them down to Earth. Losing 3 of 4 starters on the O-Line, losing Murphy, Skov, etc on defense, losing Tyler Gaffney and not having a proven big back to replace him, etc.

Stanford had fantastic offensive lines and guys like Toby Gerhart, Stepfon Taylor and Tyler Gaffney to run the ball down opponents throats in past years, but not anymore.

By the way, those were MOSTLY Jim Harbaugh's recruits. We'll soon find out just how good of a recruiter David Shaw is. Oh, and they lost their defensive coordinator, Derek Mason, to be the new head coach at Vanderbilt.

Regarding Michigan State, Dantonio said that they were breathing a little hard last Friday night in the second half of their game vs Jacksonville State. I have to believe that what he said is a ruse, though. They've undoubtedly been preparing for Oregon all year. Like us, their opening game against a cupcake meant nothing. If MSU really is gassed in the second half vs Oregon they'll lose by 20 points. I think he's full of nonsense, but you just never know.

Sheesh! Is it game time yet?
John 3:36
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Thanks for the insights, Duck07!
Willie Taggart is a dick.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

What's funny is all we've heard is how will Oregon handle Michigan State... , But really, how will Michigan State handle Oregon's offense? I just saw a statistic on ESPN where Oregon runs a zone read about 50% of the plays. And Michigan State last year only faced 11% of zone read plays. For MSU, this is something outside of their norm. They aren't used to teams like this, I think they may very well have their hands full against Oregon.

Should be a blast of a game, but figured I'd give a little different perspective to the game.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
thegb2001
Three Star Recruit

Post by thegb2001 »

Not going to sleep before gameday. So ready for this game! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

They send that tool Pollack to Eugene. Probably the ONE guy on their entire staff who really, honestly DOES NOT like the Ducks....ever.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Kinda funny, ESPN is ALL OVER the SEC today. There is some great games,
Oregon/Michigan St,
USC/Stanford,
Michigan/Notre Damn...
and EVERY SINGLE SEC school has scheduled cupcakes:
Alabama/Florida Atlantic
Florida/Eastern Michigan
Auburn/San Jose St
Florida St/Citadel (Not SEC but seriously Florida St. Frikkin Citadel?)
LSU/Sam Houston St

Even ESPN is like, "Seriously? With the playoffs now relying on strength of schedule this is this weeks lineup?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

QuackininBama wrote:They send that tool Pollack to Eugene. Probably the ONE guy on their entire staff who really, honestly DOES NOT like the Ducks....ever.
Amanda Pflugrad probably turned him down and now he's bitter about it :lol:
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

I cannot stand Pollack. He is absolutely excited at the prospect of the Ducks losing. He is such a tool. Herbie is the same way today too.

Chris is the only one that brought up the point about MSU not facing a team like the Ducks as well as being at Autzen.

Excited for this game! Heading out in a few hours for Autzen.