Very Bad News

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Re: Very Bad News

Post by FlDuckFan »

KingofDucks wrote:Guys, no one has to defend me or has to worry about me getting offended. Questioning this news is expected and not unwelcome. You should always feel free to ask any questions you might have. I might not always give you the answers you want, but I'll do my best.

My source for this info is one I truly trust. He honestly didn't know about Troy after the Wyoming game and saw him in full gear like the rest of you as told me what he assumed, without prefacing as such. I took it for fact. That was my mistake.

But he gave me detailed info on Andre Y and Fisher today. As for Troy, he wasn't as detailed. He simply told me that Troy has a "partially torn ACL". Didn't give me timeline. I'm not a doctor, so I suppose I shouldn't presume to know how long he is out. However, I've only known Oregon to play a player on a partially torn ACL once and it didn't go well for him. Oregon hasn't done it since. I hope it's so minimal he could return this year. Or maybe he'll tell the coaches he's willing to risk it since he's a 5th year senior. I have no clue what he'll choose to do. But what I do KNOW is that he has a partially torn ACL. Make of that what you will.
We appreciate everything you come to tell us, just sometimes the news stinks.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Pretty sure a partially torn ACL doesn't heal without surgery.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Hmmm, doing some reading on partial ACL tears.

Looks like an athlete can actually have a partially torn ACL and still play sports just fine. Completely depends on whether the knee is stable despite the tear. If the knee still fees unstable, then surgery is needed.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

KOD, I'd like to ask for a clarification...

Did your source confirm that Hill is definitely OUT with a partial ACL tear? Or did he/she just confirm he had the injury?
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

pezsez1 wrote:KOD, I'd like to ask for a clarification...

Did your source confirm that Hill is definitely OUT with a partial ACL tear? Or did he/she just confirm he had the injury?
Did not mention "out" or any length of time. Just informed me that he has a partially torn ACL.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Obviously, selfishly, I'd like for Hill to play, but what's most important is his health and whatever benefits him the most. I'm assuming he couldn't get a medical redshirt or anything like that could he? I know it wasn't much, but what I saw from him this year he looked capable of playing in the NFL, and I want to see him reach that. Whatever solution will most likely lead to him having a successful career is the one I want to see taken.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I have a feeling then that Hill isn't done for the year... maybe they just held him out against Wyoming, knowing he wouldn't be needed.

If he does play, I'll be nervous as hell watching him run around the field, but he'll likely need surgery if he intends to play at the next level (if that's even a goal for him).
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

He would have to apply for a waiver for a 6th year after the season and could take months to hear on that. I don't think that is a viable option . He would either play and risk it or rest and train for NFL
JustisM
Three Star Recruit

Post by JustisM »

pezsez1 wrote:Pretty sure a partially torn ACL doesn't heal without surgery.
As someone who's torn his ACL twice (along with two other ligaments), I can tell you the answer is yes and no. If it's partially torn, it's never going to be 100% again without surgery. You might let it sit for a while, I.C.E., and then try to see if it's solid enough to go on it, though.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

As someone who's torn his ACL twice (along with two other ligaments), I can tell you the answer is yes and no. If it's partially torn, it's never going to be 100% again without surgery. You might let it sit for a while, I.C.E., and then try to see if it's solid enough to go on it, though.
Yeah, I've learned a lot about partially torn ACLs in the past 30 minutes. :lol:

At the point a tear is detected, it looks as if doctors more or less ignore the severity of the tear and simply ask "is the knee stable?" In rare cases, the knee may still be stable enough to not need surgery (the ACL retains its function). But usually, the ligament fibers get stretched at the point of the injury, so even in a minor tear the knee may still be too unstable to play.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Ugh. Terrible. Seisay or Mathis better step up. They'll get good practice this week.
JustisM
Three Star Recruit

Post by JustisM »

Phenom wrote:Ugh. Terrible. Seisay or Mathis better step up. They'll get good practice this week.
Can we pick Mitchell off of Chicago's practice squad? Please?
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Well, there will assuredly be plenty of reps for the Ducks' secondary this weekend for whomever plays, which can only help the young guys in the big picture. And I recall reading that the coaches were pleased with Seisay's performance in the MSU game at least. Also, l believe that our coach Neal arrived the year AFTER our secondary was torched so badly in 2002 (maybe that's at least part of the reason he was hired?); so I'm not planning to worry myself sick over the possibility of a repeat of that. Hopefully, the defense will pick it up overall in this situation, like getting a consistent pass rush.

Ultimately, I don't think all these injuries (yet) tangibly changes my outlook for the team this year. The Ducks' playoff chances still depend on a healthy Mariota. Maybe now we just win more high scoring games, maybe not looking quite as good.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

I have had a partially torn ACL since I was 16...I'm 29 now. You can do focused PT on the muscles surrounding the knee which helps greatly with the instability. You can live just fine with a partial ACL tear but it is only a matter of time until it fully tears. Although, I'm not a D1 football player making numerous quick/agile cuts and putting crazy amounts of torque on the ligament structure. Frankly, I think he would be dumb to risk it because with an already compromised ACL, if he gets caught in the wrong position, he could go from an already difficult ACL recovery to a more serious multiple ligament tear with cartilage damage.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

pezsez1 wrote:Hmmm, doing some reading on partial ACL tears.

Looks like an athlete can actually have a partially torn ACL and still play sports just fine. Completely depends on whether the knee is stable despite the tear. If the knee still fees unstable, then surgery is needed.
Sounds exactly like when Dixon had his partial tear. :(
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!