#2 Oregon v Bye Week

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: #2 Oregon v Bye Week

Post by OregonFan4Life »

QuackininBama wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Also, after that game, my confidence in Oregon making the playoffs went down, but my confidence in Mariota winning the Heisman went up.
Lets not get carried away. The Ducks are one of the best teams in all of college football. I am still reserved however. I am waiting for the Stanford game to pass judgement on the future of this team.
It's not like I'm drastically changing my prediction on the future of this team, but my confidence simply went down a little after seeing that performance.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

karlhungis wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Also, after that game, my confidence in Oregon making the playoffs went down, but my confidence in Mariota winning the Heisman went up.
If Oregon doesn't make the playoffs, Mariota won't win the Heisman.
Look at Maniel and Griffin when they won the Heisman.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Duck24 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:So I've got Jake Fisher making strides in recovery on top of my wish list closely followed by Don Pellum taking some 200 level classes on Defensive Football, something like "Nickel/Dime Packages from a 3-4 D"

Arizona faces their own challenge against Bye Week this weekend and I imagine they are going to be looking at some new plays to attack our lines.
I won't pretend to know more than Pellum or any of the coaches but you'd think getting burned over and over and over and over and over......you get my drift.....when rushing 3, giving the WR 10+ yard cushions and not even trying to confuse error prone Halliday would make you want to change up what you are doing. I understand wanting to keep everything in front of you but to be honest, I'd rather blitz and play cover 1 or cover 0 and make Halliday rush a throw that might get us beat over the top but also might get picked, rather than willingly give up 9 yards every play. EVERYTHING on Halliday says if you get pressure and hits on him, he will start making mistakes. Everyone has succeeded at doing that to him this season except for us. If we were up by 3 TD's in the 4th and playing conservative, I get it, but in a close game with your season on the line, yards and first downs are precious and you can't give them up like that. This bye week is coming at a perfect time.
I summed it up in the game thread as a massive failure by DP to put your players in a position to succeed. Its one thing if Dior and the DBs are pressing their man and get beat (at least he did something). But to just lay off them, never making them adjust their routes or do anything at the other end at the LOS - it was all designed for the players to fail. There was no rhyme or reason to anything we did last night beyond the fact that we had 11 guys on the field.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:So I've got Jake Fisher making strides in recovery on top of my wish list closely followed by Don Pellum taking some 200 level classes on Defensive Football, something like "Nickel/Dime Packages from a 3-4 D"

Arizona faces their own challenge against Bye Week this weekend and I imagine they are going to be looking at some new plays to attack our lines.
I won't pretend to know more than Pellum or any of the coaches but you'd think getting burned over and over and over and over and over......you get my drift.....when rushing 3, giving the WR 10+ yard cushions and not even trying to confuse error prone Halliday would make you want to change up what you are doing. I understand wanting to keep everything in front of you but to be honest, I'd rather blitz and play cover 1 or cover 0 and make Halliday rush a throw that might get us beat over the top but also might get picked, rather than willingly give up 9 yards every play. EVERYTHING on Halliday says if you get pressure and hits on him, he will start making mistakes. Everyone has succeeded at doing that to him this season except for us. If we were up by 3 TD's in the 4th and playing conservative, I get it, but in a close game with your season on the line, yards and first downs are precious and you can't give them up like that. This bye week is coming at a perfect time.
I summed it up in the game thread as a massive failure by DP to put your players in a position to succeed. Its one thing if Dior and the DBs are pressing their man and get beat (at least he did something). But to just lay off them, never making them adjust their routes or do anything at the other end at the LOS - it was all designed for the players to fail. There was no rhyme or reason to anything we did last night beyond the fact that we had 11 guys on the field.
I said this before and maybe I'm completely wrong, but I feel as if he just coached scared. He was afraid of the big play potential for WSU and just didn't want to give up a touchdown every play. I think he was just being way way way too conservative, but who knows.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote: I said this before and maybe I'm completely wrong, but I feel as if he just coached scared. He was afraid of the big play potential for WSU and just didn't want to give up a touchdown every play. I think he was just being way way way too conservative, but who knows.
I would like to see Pellum move upstairs to the box - perhaps he'd be able to see just how inadequate a 3 man rush 90% of the time looks. I know we have plays/packages that we could have used last night because I've seen us do them against MSU and Wyoming. You might be absolutely correct in that he was coaching scared because the reliance on putting 8 in the secondary looked like we knew we had no chance of stopping them so we might as well just keep them in front the entire time and hope they make mistakes.

That was just an outright putrid performance by Pellum and it also falls on Helfrich because the Head Coach is supposed to know WTF is going on over there as well as add his own 2c. If Helf signed off on that game plan and didn't call for adjustments its an obvious error.
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Post by Cedar Tree »

Another thing that's being lost in all this is the fact our defense limited Wazzu to just 10 points in the second half. That's not bad in today's college football.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Duck07 wrote: I would like to see Pellum move upstairs to the box -
I think thats a good idea. Being a "rookie" defensive coordinator, he needs to see things from a different perspective. If he was watching the "same game" we were, it was so obvious the defensive schemes were terrible and would have adjusted quicker.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I always wondered how coaches could do their job from the sideline. They cannot see all of what is happening.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

QuackininBama wrote:
I think thats a good idea. Being a "rookie" defensive coordinator, he needs to see things from a different perspective. If he was watching the "same game" we were, it was so obvious the defensive schemes were terrible and would have adjusted quicker.

IDK, his defense didn't do any worse than Alliotti's did a year ago.

Our O-line just plain stunk this year.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

fpsduck wrote:IDK, his defense didn't do any worse than Alliotti's did a year ago.

This is a giant part of the issue though - we always excuse the defense and talk about the woes of hte offense. 38 points by the O wasn't the issue last night.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

fpsduck wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:

IDK, his defense didn't do any worse than Alliotti's did a year ago.

Didn't we pick Halliday off like 4 times last year? Also 2 of his 4 touchdown passes were in the 4th against our 2nd and 3rd team defense. So yea, we did much better last year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I wonder if Helf is questing his handling of the DC spot yet? He could have had almost anyone he wanted, and he hired someone from within. It's amazing to me that in 20 years of duck football 2 HC continue to hire avg DC. MB had 3 chances, Charlie Watters was actually a stud but because of his tragic sons death, he walked away after a year. I hope DP can turn it around, but if this continues (ranked 117 in pass D) and Helf sticks with him after this year, he might be committing career subside.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:
fpsduck wrote:IDK, his defense didn't do any worse than Alliotti's did a year ago.

This is a giant part of the issue though - we always excuse the defense and talk about the woes of hte offense. 38 points by the O wasn't the issue last night.
And we missed a FG, and had close to 150 yrds called back by stupid penalties. The O moved the ball all night, even with OL issues. The D played prevent all night and not to give up the big plays. The problem is they gave up everything under 10 yards, which is like a death by a 1000 cuts. Get aggressive and attack, if they catch us for a big td f it. I feel like Halliday would have thrown a few int if we pressured him all night.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

And we missed a FG, and had close to 150 yrds called back by stupid penalties. The O moved the ball all night, even with OL issues. The D played prevent all night and not to give up the big plays. The problem is they gave up everything under 10 yards, which is like a death by a 1000 cuts. Get aggressive and attach, if they catch us for a big td f it. I feel like Halliday would have thrown a few int if we pressured him all night.
I wonder if that is a Helf thing? Maybe telling Pellum sit back and do not give up big plays?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

pudgejeff wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

And we missed a FG, and had close to 150 yrds called back by stupid penalties. The O moved the ball all night, even with OL issues. The D played prevent all night and not to give up the big plays. The problem is they gave up everything under 10 yards, which is like a death by a 1000 cuts. Get aggressive and attach, if they catch us for a big td f it. I feel like Halliday would have thrown a few int if we pressured him all night.
I wonder if that is a Helf thing? Maybe telling Pellum sit back and do not give up big plays?
I doubt it. It feels like old school NA defense. Bend and then break. I think DP just learned that system from the best.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!