ESPN Heisman

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: ESPN Heisman

Post by QuackininBama »

MFRDuckFan wrote:Could Marcus actually win this thing?? I've been blocking it out of my mind (as well as any Championship thoughts) because by this time of the year we've been disappointed.

Still a lot of football left to play, but can you imagine if he DID win? Couldn't happen to a more deserving kid and about time to have someone win with character & morals for a change.
When is it given? It might come down to the playoffs. If Dak and Mariota are still neck and neck, it will go to the champion, or whoever got the farthest if both teams are eliminated.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

QuackininBama wrote:
MFRDuckFan wrote:Could Marcus actually win this thing?? I've been blocking it out of my mind (as well as any Championship thoughts) because by this time of the year we've been disappointed.

Still a lot of football left to play, but can you imagine if he DID win? Couldn't happen to a more deserving kid and about time to have someone win with character & morals for a change.
When is it given? It might come down to the playoffs. If Dak and Mariota are still neck and neck, it will go to the champion, or whoever got the farthest if both teams are eliminated.
I think it's usually held before the championship game.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

Dak isn't anywhere near Marcus' level.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

It's held the following week after the conf championship games. I'm with you MFRD, I've been trying not to think about it too much because it really does look like it's going to happen.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I hope the playoffs partially factor in now. But I suspect they won't because they would eliminate a ton of players. And they've never allowed bowl performances to be considered because it's been considered a regular season award.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

UofDuck wrote:I hope the playoffs partially factor in now. But I suspect they won't because they would eliminate a ton of players. And they've never allowed bowl performances to be considered because it's been considered a regular season award.
Ahhh ok. Well just for arguments sake:

Dak 7-0 (In the SEC, that gives him a huge advantage)
132/216 2025yds 16tds 7 interceptions
137 rushes 725yds 10 touchdowns

Mariota 8-1
169/248 2541yds 26 touchdowns 2 interceptions
71 rushes 410yds 7 touchdowns

Mariota has a decent advantage statistically. Dak has a combined 26 touchdowns, Mariota has less rushing yards and rushing touchdowns but has a combined 33 touchdowns.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

QuackininBama wrote:
UofDuck wrote:I hope the playoffs partially factor in now. But I suspect they won't because they would eliminate a ton of players. And they've never allowed bowl performances to be considered because it's been considered a regular season award.
Ahhh ok. Well just for arguments sake:

Dak 7-0 (In the SEC, that gives him a huge advantage)
132/216 2025yds 16tds 7 interceptions
137 rushes 725yds 10 touchdowns

Mariota 8-1
169/248 2541yds 26 touchdowns 2 interceptions
71 rushes 410yds 7 touchdowns

Mariota has a decent advantage statistically. Dak has a combined 26 touchdowns, Mariota has less rushing yards and rushing touchdowns but has a combined 33 touchdowns.
Marcus averages more yards per rush and has three less rushing TD's despite having about half as many carries.

Marcus has a higher completion percentage, they have similar yards per completion and Marcus has 5 less picks despite having 32 more passing attempts

Statistically speaking, Marcus is exceptionally more efficient than Dak. Taking nothing away from Dak though, the guy is a stud. Mississippi State is nothing without him at QB.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

^I don't agree with that. MSU's defense is pretty solid. I think Mariota should firmly be the Heisman leader.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

The playoffs won't factor in this year cuz it'll be handed out way earlier. And I'm not sure if I would want them to move it to a later date. It'd be very tempting to just give it to the MVP of whoever wins the championship, and it shouldn't just be a glorified Super Bowl MVP type of thing.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

If Oregon wins out, I still think Marcus wins. But it would be nice if MSU lost a game, and Prescott struggled in that game as well.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

The trophy will be presented on Dec 13
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Does the 33 TD's stat count his receiving TD?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Phenom wrote:^I don't agree with that. MSU's defense is pretty solid. I think Mariota should firmly be the Heisman leader.
31 to Kentucky
31 to Texas AM
29 to LSU
34 to UAB

Ole Miss has a much better defense. Miss St is on par with us defensively
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

Let's see what Alabama and Ole Miss do to Dak before we start comparing him and Mariota. He's beaten 2 very good teams and 6 pretty terrible teams so far, and he's not putting up anything better than Marcus despite that.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Marcus back on top.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13