#6 Oregon vs California (Levi's Stadium)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: #6 Oregon vs California (Levi's Stadium)

Post by GrantDuck »

Cal's Offense sure was legit scoring 7 points against UW. LMFAO.

They would not score 20 against Bama or any decent defense.
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Bigwaved wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:What a stupid selfish penalty by Fisher. Marshall had the first down, just bad.
:roll: Selfish for trying to maintain a block? :roll:
There was 0 need or reason for that hold. Penalties that stop important plays that are not necessary at all are selfish by my definition.
You don't need to explain it is your definition. That is clear. Just as clear as is it is an inaccurate use of the word. SMH...
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pezsez1 wrote:I never said I'm free of concerns... but our offense/special teams put our defense in a really bad place during the first half. Take away those short-field drives, and our D has held Cal to 21 points.

Our offense was pretty middling in the third quarter, too.... but in that critical stretch of the game, our defense held and limited the Bears to just one TD.

Basically, this is just an overall sloppy game, and it's short-sighted to get all mad at the defense without spreading the blame around. The amount of anger I see directed toward ONLY our defense is kind of baffling, especially considering how awesome our defense was during our last two games.
What's why I said inconsistent. I'm aware our defense played great the last two games (outside of the 4th quarter against UCLA), but they didn't look near as good tonight, can't deny that.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

560+ yards of offense
over 5.6 YPP
40+ points.
And only 14 points in the second half, after our offense and special teams stopped screwing the pooch.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:If I had one word to describe this defense, it'd be inconsistent.
Probably the best way to describe it. They have moments of greatness and then go through stretches of looking plain lost. I think it happens with so many young guys playing.
More than that, this defense looked far better against UCLA and Washington, but this looks nowhere near a playoff defense tonight.
Tell us how you really feel.
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

pezsez1 wrote:
If I had one word to describe this defense, it'd be inconsistent.
You guys are selling Cal's offense short. This offense is legit... and so far, we've held them to one second-half score, which is pretty damn good.

They got most of their scores in the first half, thanks in large part to a horrific punt and Freeman's fumble.

Our D is giving up yards, but we're actually doing a pretty good job of keeping an extremely potent offense out of the endzone.
They really just like to complain is all.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

What's why I said inconsistent. I'm aware our defense played great the last two games (outside of the 4th quarter against UCLA), but they didn't look near as good tonight, can't deny that.
I agree with this. I think pass-heavy teams really stress our schemes. But our D still came through tonight and played big in the second half, when it mattered most. In fact, I'd say our D outplayed our O in the second half... this game could have been much more tense without Cal's muffed punt, giving MM a stupidly short field (just like how Cal was only in the game because they got two short fields in the 2nd quarter).

People can trot out total yardage stats all they want (skewed anyway because our offense is last in TOP), but the defense wasn't as bad as some posters are making it out to be.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Bigwaved wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:
If I had one word to describe this defense, it'd be inconsistent.
You guys are selling Cal's offense short. This offense is legit... and so far, we've held them to one second-half score, which is pretty damn good.

They got most of their scores in the first half, thanks in large part to a horrific punt and Freeman's fumble.

Our D is giving up yards, but we're actually doing a pretty good job of keeping an extremely potent offense out of the endzone.
They really just like to complain is all.
TRUTH

Negative Nancys and Debbie Downers is what is CONSISTENT

I get the D is underwhelming tonight, but it's not necessarily indicative of the entire year or where things are going.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

duck55 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:If I had one word to describe this defense, it'd be inconsistent.
Probably the best way to describe it. They have moments of greatness and then go through stretches of looking plain lost. I think it happens with so many young guys playing.
More than that, this defense looked far better against UCLA and Washington, but this looks nowhere near a playoff defense tonight.
Tell us how you really feel.
Dude, waste of a post. Getting tired of dumb insulting posts like this. Don't agree, post your opinion. I believe the defense we saw TONIGHT was not a playoff defense. Care to dispute that,
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

pezsez1 wrote:
560+ yards of offense
over 5.6 YPP
40+ points.
And only 14 points in the second half, after our offense and special teams stopped screwing the pooch.
Washingtn gave them what, 14 points for the game? Come on. We need to do better if we expect to be a playoff team. Our offense is beautiful. Ducks win. Cheers!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

YAY WE WON!!! BUT YOU'D NEVER KNOW IT BY SOME OF THE POSTS IN THIS THREAD! GO DUCKS!!!
Our offense is beautiful. Ducks win. Cheers!
Our offense was actually pretty meh in the third quarter... had our defense not tightened up, this could have played out a lot more uncomfortably.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Thank god this game is finally over. Felt like the clock wasn't moving most of the game. Got the W against a vastly improved and dangerous Cal team. Wasn't the cleanest but I'll take it.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:
560+ yards of offense
over 5.6 YPP
40+ points.
You're absolutely delusional if you think we are going to win out with this defense.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pezsez1 wrote:
I agree with this. I think pass-heavy teams really stress our schemes. But our D still came through tonight and played big in the second half, when it mattered most. In fact, I'd say our D outplayed our O in the second half... this game could have been much more tense without Cal's muffed punt, giving MM a stupidly short field (just like how Cal was only in the game because they got two short fields in the 2nd quarter).

People can trot out total yardage stats all they want (skewed anyway because our offense is last in TOP), but the defense wasn't as bad as some posters are making it out to be.
Ya the offense didn't play up to their potential in the second half. Obviously DP and the Oregon defense doesn't like air raid offenses. Hopefully the defense that showed up against Washington shows up next week. Need to beat Stanford!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

You're absolutely delusional if you think we are going to win out with this defense.
Oh, we ARE going to win out with this defense. 8-)

Our offense really needs to learn how to play in the third quarter, though.