Stanford @ #5 Oregon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OreDucks01284
Senior

Re: Stanford @ #6 Oregon

Post by OreDucks01284 »

Now I am curious to see that we now have Freeman who would pound inside compare to last two years where we do not have RB who would pound the ball inside, all we do is trying to beat them outside which Hurt us because Stanford tackles really well.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

I hope David Parry is not 100% at least. I hate to rely on injuries, but that dude is scary to deal with if he returns at full health.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

DAT_man_again wrote:
greenyellow wrote:You do have to take some of what Stanford did today to heart since they went to a semi-hurryup offense and started using their weapons properly (Montgomery and McCaffery used to stretch the perimeter and their TEs up the middle of the field.) I have a feeling they'll also use Hogan much more in the ground game after seeing Oregon's continued struggles against mobile QBs.

If Shaw has Stanford run any form of hurry up I will change my name to Hugh Janus.
"change".....? lol, just kidding.....
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

DAT_man_again wrote:Oregon State is terrible. Might be the worst in the conference. Do not take anything that Stanford did today to heart.
The OSU defense had been good, didn't think they'd give up that many points.

On the other side it went exactly as I expected, badly injured offense line with an immobile QB against a shedder front 7.

What the Stanford offense did against the OSU defense was not good news though. I have to watch a lot of OSU football with Greatgrandma Duck. (3 recent OSU grad grandsons spoiled the purity of our Duck family). I didnt think Stanford would be as good in open field against OSU's back 7.
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

myostduck wrote:Hugely worried about Stanford. Starters and Freeman only manged 4.5 yards/carry against Kal. Now we're expected to establish the run against Stanford?? They gave up 12 yards rushing to OSU today. I know there's a huge talent and scheme discrepancy between us and our little brother, but it could be a problem this weekend. I can't live through another Stanford loss and I feel like they're gonna do anything they possibly can to "throw a party in the backfield" for the 3rd year in a row. We need to be as focused as EVER this week. I want revenge to bad. I spend some of today around the Stanford OSU tailgate area in Palo Alto wearing my Duck gear, and a lot of jeers I heard directed at me was that Stanford isn't afraid of Oregon at all. Gonna be an outstanding game next weekend. We gotta establish the LOS like we haven't the last 2 years against them. I hope Marcus is gonna play mad.

Oregon State is a terrible rushing team.

Honestly if ASU can score 26 points on Stanford we should be able to put up at least thirty. When we put up thirty or more in the last 36 games we are 36-0.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

DAT_man_again wrote: Honestly if ASU can score 26 points on Stanford we should be able to put up at least thirty. When we put up thirty or more in the last 36 games we are 36-0.
ASU had one sustained touchdown drive the whole game. 10 of their points were set-up by Stanford blunders you can't count on getting again. Also they kicked 4 field goals. I'm not sure the Ducks can replicate kicking 4 field goals.

While the OSU game isnt a blueprint to sure defeat, ASU was held to 2.5 yards per rushing attempt, and I doubt could score more than 20 points on them in 2 out of 10 re-tries of the game.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
DAT_man_again wrote:Oregon State is terrible. Might be the worst in the conference. Do not take anything that Stanford did today to heart.
The OSU defense had been good, didn't think they'd give up that many points.

On the other side it went exactly as I expected, badly injured offense line with an immobile QB against a shedder front 7.

What the Stanford offense did against the OSU defense was not good news though. I have to watch a lot of OSU football with Greatgrandma Duck. (3 recent OSU grad grandsons spoiled the purity of our Duck family). I didnt think Stanford would be as good in open field against OSU's back 7.
I already posted this in another thread, but I'll share it again.

OSU was dominated at the LOS on both sides of the ball. Mannion didn't have much time to drop back before the defense was in his face. However, the truth is that OSU just isn't very good this season either. Look at their stats.

Sat 8/30 Portland St. W 29 - 14 (FCS team)
Sat 9/6 @ Hawaii W 38 - 30 (2-6 recoord)
Sat 9/20 S. Diego St. W 28 - 7 (4-3 record but mostly poor quality wins)
Sat 9/27 @ USC L 10 -35
Sat 10/4 @ Colorado W 36 - 31 (2-6 record)
Thu 10/16 Utah L 23 - 29
Sat 10/25 @ Stanford L 14 - 38

They're #12 in the league in scoring offense and #11 in total offense. Ironically, they're #7 in scoring defense and #2 in total defense, but look at their schedule and you'll see why. They beat the bad teams they were supposed to and were dominated in 2 of their 3 losses.

Yes, Oregon will have their hands full, but I still think they'll win. I wouldn't read too much into the Stanford vs OSU game.
John 3:36
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Absolutely worried about Hogan running the ball as much as any of their running backs.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I'm not too worried about Montgomery as he'll be covered by Ifo, I'm worried about Hogan keeping drives alive with his legs. LB's need to tackle in space. I know it won't be easy for the offense, but with a healthy Mariota and the WR corps playing great, they should have some success. Also, with the OLine getting healthier and Pharaoh playing as well as he is, I don't see Oregon's running game getting stuffed as bad as it has in the past against Stanford. Hopefully Armstead will play, he's huge for the run defense.

I'm hoping Frost utilizes Nelson and Allen, I don't see Stanford's secondary covering speedy guys like that well, and with a healthy OLine, Pharaoh Brown on the line, and Freeman with his good pass blocking, I think Mariota should have enough time to find those guys. Oregon should win, but Oregon should've beaten Stanford in 2012 and should've beaten Arizona the last two years. Never know what will happen.

This is a huge game, and if Oregon loses, then Oregon will be perceived as a good team but one that can't beat Stanford, therefore they won't be winning conference championships. This is a must win for this season and for the future of this program.

Also, just found out I'm going to the game. I don't care if I pass out, I will not stop yelling as long as the Oregon defense is on the field.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

We need to trust our secondary in man coverage and put 7-8 guys right up in the box at all times. Force Hogan to throw the ball in tight spots and don't allow Stanford extra blockers to gain that leverage. If we line up with a 3 man rush we are gifting them 4-5 yards at a time and they're perfectly content taking 4 yards every play for 18 play, 8 minute drives.
myostduck
One Star Recruit

Post by myostduck »

There's a limited remainder of Kevin Hogan back breaking first down scrambles that my soul is capable of enduring.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I highly doubt we'll be lining up too often with a three-man rush. We've been rushing at least four quite often over the past few games. Also, look how we fared against MSU as that game wore on... I think we'll see more of that.

Our defense isn't as strong as it has been in recent years, but I do feel like we're better at stopping the run when we're actually selling out to stop it. I'm actually not too worried about Stanford's ground attack unless they also spend plenty of time throwing the ball around (which would seem to nullify the advantages they've used to beat us recently). Our linebackers don't seem to be great at reacting to the run once they've started dropping back into coverage.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote:I highly doubt we'll be lining up too often with a three-man rush. We've been rushing at least four quite often over the past few games. Also, look how we fared against MSU as that game wore on... I think we'll see more of that.

Our defense isn't as strong as it has been in recent years, but I do feel like we're better at stopping the run when we're actually selling out to stop it. I'm actually not too worried about Stanford's ground attack unless they also spend plenty of time throwing the ball around (which would seem to nullify the advantages they've used to beat us recently). Our linebackers don't seem to be great at reacting to the run once they've started dropping back into coverage.
Comparing MSU to Stanford is a big misnomer because they don't do the same things on offense. I don't believe that MSU once in that game ran a 6th OL onto the field. I also didn't see them pull any OL more than I think twice. We'll probably see that the very first drive against Stanford.

How we go about attacking the Stanford offense might look the same as how we attacked MSU, but it has to account for those major differences in how they play. Tackling in space won't be the big issue this game, tackling in a crowd and wrapping up will be the bigger key as we've seen how losing tackles at the LOS and backfield has led to sustained drives and 3rd down conversions for them.

Stanford also has the benefit of years of experience against us, something MSU doesn't have. It also doesn't speak to the mental side of the game. We're totally in Oregon State and Washing-11's heads, in a big way which is why they continue to get blown out. Stanford doesn't just know they can win, they believe they can beat us up while winning the game.

We should win, but this game requires our defense to make plays and get stops on 3rd downs, while also preventing TDs from the Cardinal in the RZ. At this point, I'm more worried about our D vs their O than the other battle most are concerned with.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DAT_man_again wrote: Honestly if ASU can score 26 points on Stanford we should be able to put up at least thirty. When we put up thirty or more in the last 36 games we are 36-0.
Just saw that Stanford has a 31 game streak of not allowing more than 29.
andreezy
Two Star Recruit

Post by andreezy »

I liked the utilization of the Fly sweeps with Marshall and Nelson vs. Cal. I see that and some RB/TE screens, like vs. UCLA, as a way to get the chains moving and build some drives vs. the Cardinal. What do you guys think?