2 more players off the team

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

echo31
Five Star Recruit

2 more players off the team

Post by echo31 »

http://blogs.registerguard.com/cms/inde ... ome-links/
Defensive end Dominic Glover and long snapper Zach Taylor are no longer with the team due to “failure to meet NCAA eligibility requirements,” I’m told. Glover was entering his redshirt sophomore season after back problems cost him pretty much all of 2008, and Taylor joined the team as a junior college transfer last season and battled consistency.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Re: 2 more players off the team

Post by chapelhillduck »

Remember when we signed the best long snapper in the country?
ivegottabigduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ivegottabigduck »

What does this do to those academic numbers the NCAA does?
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

chapelhillduck wrote:Remember when we signed the best long snapper in the country?
NO ... I blocked that memory after the Cal game when the punt snap went over the head of Syria for a safety
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I remember when we signed Zach Taylor lots of people were complaining if he worth the scholarships because there were so many better players left on the board.

In the end, looks like it was a waste.

It still amazes me how players who are handed a full ride to college can't hold up their end of the bargain. Is it really that hard to qualify?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Yeah. Such a great opportunity lost.

I think people that age are often going through big life transitions and can't always juggle everything they need to or don't know what they want enough to stay disciplined.

I went to HS with a great place-kicker that was briefly on the Ducks squad. But, he had to leave due to grades. From hanging out with him, it seemed like he just wasn't emotionally committed to making it happen. Like he didn't want the pressure and kind of sabotaged himself to avoid it. I've always kept him in mind when I hear about kids missing out due to grades, etc.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Too bad about Glover, could care less about Taylor. There's never a point to offer a pure long-snapper, especially one who can't snap. Hate to be so critical, but I never liked that offer.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

And some of you worry warts were concerned about the number of available shollies...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

woundedknees wrote:And some of you worry warts were concerned about the number of available shollies...
Haha well a half dozen transfers isn't a great solution to that problem...
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Two guys that were not contributing leaving is not so bad, in fact it seems like good news to me because it opens up 2 more scholarships and with the interest the Ducks are receiving from recruits, they could probably use those 2 extra scholarships!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

These two don't exactly qualify as transfers... More like drops!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

BisonDucks
Three Star Recruit

Post by BisonDucks »

BSU just landed a late incoming JUCO recruit today. Is there a chance we might bolster the DT or OG rotation with a late entry? I'd like to see another body in the rotation.
goducks75
Four Star Recruit

Post by goducks75 »

Tray Dub wrote:
woundedknees wrote:And some of you worry warts were concerned about the number of available shollies...
Haha well a half dozen transfers isn't a great solution to that problem...
True but they were bound to happen with the coaching change. Helps us out in the long run I guess :lol:
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I remember when we signed Zach Taylor lots of people were complaining if he worth the scholarships because there were so many better players left on the board.

In the end, looks like it was a waste.

It still amazes me how players who are handed a full ride to college can't hold up their end of the bargain. Is it really that hard to qualify?

you got that right, i wasnt happy when they offer Zach Taylor. We could have gotten someone else better.
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

gofightingducks wrote:Two guys that were not contributing leaving is not so bad, in fact it seems like good news to me because it opens up 2 more scholarships and with the interest the Ducks are receiving from recruits, they could probably use those 2 extra scholarships!
Zach Taylor was going to be a senior this upcoming season anyway, thus his departure doesn't change the available scholarship totals for the next recruiting class. Glover's departure opens 1 up though. Slowly but surely the number continues to grow.