FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Re: Oregon legalizes marijuana

Post by FlDuckFan »

Duck24 wrote:
fpsduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Duck24 wrote:I wonder what Kitz will find to waste $200-300M on during these next four years?
Knowing him, he'll find a way and then run for re-election again acting like he didn't do anything wrong.

Doesn't he have to take a leave from office after this term?
I don't know the answer to that but if true, I'm sure we will see a ballot measure in 2016 to amend the state constituton to allow Kitz to continue to run and crap on this state with each successive victory. Frankly, Richardson wasn't much (if any) better but Kitz is just terrible. He gets away with fiscal and ethical murder and still get elected in a landslide.
I'll trade you guys, Rick Scott for Kitz?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck24 wrote:
fpsduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Duck24 wrote:I wonder what Kitz will find to waste $200-300M on during these next four years?
Knowing him, he'll find a way and then run for re-election again acting like he didn't do anything wrong.

I don't know the answer to that but if true, I'm sure we will see a ballot measure in 2016 to amend the state constituton to allow Kitz to continue to run and crap on this state with each successive victory. Frankly, Richardson wasn't much (if any) better but Kitz is just terrible. He gets away with fiscal and ethical murder and still get elected in a landslide.
It does look like Kitzhaber will be ineligible to run again since Oregon's term limits for governor are they can't hold the position for more than 8 years in a 12 year period. He'd be eligible to run again in 2022.
jBeavertonduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by jBeavertonduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ My sister who has been living off government assistance for nearly two decades because she keeps failing drug tests and losing jobs

My brother in law who cared more about getting high with his friends than seeing his dying mother on her death bed

My other brother in law who also can't keep a job because he always fails drug tests

My friend who had a full ride to UO golf team but got kicked off/quit because he just wanted to smoke

My friend who had a full ride cross country scholarship but smoked his way out of shape and out of a scholarship

Kid in my youth group who stopped going to school because he just wanted to go get high with his friends

Those are just off the top of my head in about a minute.
It's called personal accountability. Your friends abuse drugs because they have other problems. Nobody forced any of these people to smoke pot. Each person that you listed either failed drug tests, dropped out of school or lost jobs because they chose to smoke pot. Keeping pot illegal because you have irresponsible friends does not make any sense. You could use the same logic that cars should be outlawed because some people choose to drink and drive.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

greenyellow wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
fpsduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

It does look like Kitzhaber will be ineligible to run again since Oregon's term limits for governor are they can't hold the position for more than 8 years in a 12 year period. He'd be eligible to run again in 2022.

Hopefully, by then, he is too old to want to run again.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ You could absolutely make that argument with alcohol and data would back that up as well. Obviously we have been there done that with prohibition, and it would be the biggest logistical nightmare to try and ban alcohol again.

In the end, people will always find a crutch or something to help them escape reality, whether it is legal or not.

Don't even throw that into the atmosphere
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Bud Lee wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:^ You could absolutely make that argument with alcohol and data would back that up as well. Obviously we have been there done that with prohibition, and it would be the biggest logistical nightmare to try and ban alcohol again.

In the end, people will always find a crutch or something to help them escape reality, whether it is legal or not.

Don't even throw that into the atmosphere
Pretty interesting to think that it required a Constitutional Amendment to ban alcohol (and thus allowing Congress to pass the Volstead Act) yet the Fed's say Pot is illegal due to the Controlled Substances Act. I wonder why Congress didn't simply pass the Volstead Act instead of going through all the hassle of an Amendment? Perhaps its because there are no valid drugs laws on the books because the Fed's lack the authority under Article 1 Section 8. States can make an argument, but not the Fed's and Prohibition proves that imo.