Brady Leaf talks Oregon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

tonyd
Three Star Recruit

Brady Leaf talks Oregon

Post by tonyd »

Have to admire what this guy went through. He poured his heart into the Oregon program and community and always had a great attitude about it throughout all the adversity he faced. He received way more crap that he deserved and will go down as one of my favorite Ducks of all time because of it.

http://www.duckterritory.com/football/1 ... lks-oregon
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Re: Brady Leaf talks Oregon

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

Brady is truly a class act.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

It's nice that it sounds like he is the complete opposite person as his brother. If I'm being honest though, he sucked as a football player.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

I don't think he " sucked as a football player ". He just got forced into action too soon. People thought Dixon sucked until his senior season and wanted JM tossed most of last season. I can not believe our coaches would randomly give out scollies to just anyone that played QB in High School without believing they could play @ D1 level.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Had Oregon stayed with a traditional offensive set, I believe Brady may well have had a chance to shine...

With the advent of the spread, I believe Brady was, at best, a serviceable backup.

Kudos for having the guts to stick it out and try to perform under very adverse circumstances.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

goducks75
Four Star Recruit

Post by goducks75 »

duckgrad99 wrote:It's nice that it sounds like he is the complete opposite person as his brother. If I'm being honest though, he sucked as a football player.
Most moronic thing I've ever heard. We recruited him for an entirely different offense (Dudwig's offense) than the offense that was in place by his senior year. He had a solid skill set (by no means was he the greatest obviously), but combine an offense that doesn't utilize his talents properly with the injuries he had and he's not going to be a superstar.
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

Disagree with the statement that he "sucked", as stated before he was not a fit for the remodeled "O"; He suffered that ankle injury in that Arizona game which reduced his effectivewness and carries the Oklahoma loss on his back which is unjustified. When the kid was "on" he was good.

I wish him the best in life and hope the best for him.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Eh, whatever. He wasn't very good, and I'm not afraid to admit it.
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

duckgrad99 wrote:Eh, whatever. He wasn't very good, and I'm not afraid to admit it.
LOL...How do you think Masoli would look in the USC offense? Horrible. That's the same situation that Brady was in. Had Brady been in the USC offense, I would imagine we would have hated playing against him. Kid had a good toolset, and could play drop-back passer very well. Unfortunately our team, protections, and sets were not made for that by the time he was able to take snaps.

Please don't be like that to a kid that gave everything and didn't blow out of here like so many kids do these days. He was a great kid and you would have a totally different respect for him had he played in the offense he was recruited for.

I say if people don't know what they are talking about, let others talk so that you can listen and learn. Obviously you should be listening and not talking.
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I dont know how good he would be in another offense. I do know that by time he got to play the offense did not suit him. He was suited more for a pro style offense than the spread. I think he might have been good in a pro style offense but who really knows. I do know without a doubt the spread offense we came to by his senior season did not suit him. I admire the fact that he didnt jump and abanodn ship and stayed committed to the ducks despite qan offense that didnt meet his abilities.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

Autzenoise wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:Eh, whatever. He wasn't very good, and I'm not afraid to admit it.
Please don't be like that to a kid that gave everything and didn't blow out of here like so many kids do these days. He was a great kid and you would have a totally different respect for him had he played in the offense he was recruited for.

I say if people don't know what they are talking about, let others talk so that you can listen and learn. Obviously you should be listening and not talking.
That last paragraph is a total summation of what is wrong with these forums. He expresses a different opinion than you, but, obviously, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

These forums, and I guess Duck fans in general, have such a Kidsports "everybody wins" fashion if a guy says nice things once he's gone, and yet, when he was here, I guarantee you a lot of you were asking for him to be pulled.

And yet, on the flip side, if a guy leaves the team, probably to be closer to their family or play a position they find in their best interest, it's a total "good riddance" or "they weren't a team player".

I'll say it: he was not very good, regardless of the offense. Time after time you would see him given an opportunity in the pocket, and he wouldn't pull off the pass he was asked to make. Obviously he wouldn't make it as a long time starter in a spread-option offense, yet when he was given opportunities and gameplans to make it work, which we have seen work (Roper, Clemens, and various other "slower" QB's have successfully executed a spread across the country) the production wasn't there.

I like a kid who was a team-player just as much as the next guy, but don't overplay his skillset (there's a reason his only other offers were Wazzu and Colorado State) and blame it on the system - Brady Leaf was NOT very good.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

To say any football player who started at the D-1 level & won games in a BCS conference "sucked" is absolutely moronic. Yeah he wasn't some great QB, in no way did he suck though. It's not like he was Chris Harper throwing the ball. Anyone remember the OT game against Cal at Autzen? After he threw the game winning TD I bet you weren't saying how bad he sucked.

Throw duckgrad99 out there to play QB & you'll see what its like to "suck".
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

Oregonian wrote:
Autzenoise wrote:

That last paragraph is a total summation of what is wrong with these forums. He expresses a different opinion than you, but, obviously, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Had he even made a staement like "He sucked IN OUR OFFENSE" or anything of the like, I would not have even cared. Fact of the matter is that none of us are qualified to make a matter of fact judgement on this like you two have.

You think Jim Carey would make a good Shakepearian (sp) actor? No, probably not. Does that mean as an actor he "sucks"? Nope.

Just realize that you guys don't know everything, neither do I. That is why I make assumptions based on my knowledge, and the individual situations. Please don't make point of fact statements when your knowledge is obviously low, or you are choosing to not take the situation in to account.

Thanks, and let's get back to getting ready for Masoli winning a Heisman on our way to a NC!!
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
ducksin2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducksin2010 »

Brady didn't come through for us when we needed him a couple times, but NO ONE one this board can dismiss him because because he "sucked". He wasn't right for the offense but he did what he could with what he had. He had no reason to try to play in the UCLA game 2 years ago because he could hardly walk, but he knew that he was the only QB that knew the offense. I think we could have one with Roper if we prepared for it, but the coaches didn't. Either way, people need to lay off Brady even though I was among the people to hang my head when he jogged onto the field.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

Autzenoise wrote: Just realize that you guys don't know everything, neither do I. That is why I make assumptions based on my knowledge, and the individual situations. Please don't make point of fact statements when your knowledge is obviously low, or you are choosing to not take the situation in to account.
!
That, or, you know, I was taking the situation into account and still making a statement, same as you. You just disagree and attempt to disavow our statements by saying we don't know anything or are not in the correct situation to make that statement.

Newsflash: Everybody on this planet makes statements or judgment based on their viewpoint, and I know for a fact my knowledge is not low and I AM taking the situation into account. Brady Leaf wasn't successful, and if you want to blame it on the offense, that's fine, but that's what he went through. That will never change. And I am going to make my statements off of that.

Although, if you want to go past that: there's a reason he wasn't receiving tons of BCS level scholarships. His skill-set was not phenomenal.

I respect him for being a team player, but by no stretch of the imagination was Brady Leaf a good quarterback as an Oregon Duck.