Who would comprise the Mount Rushmore of Oregon?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan96
Senior

Re: Who would comprise the Mount Rushmore of Oregon?

Post by duckfan96 »

Joey, Marcus, lmj and mb
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Wheaton has the most iconic play, but I would have a hard time including him over Joey Harrington when looking at the bigger picture. Harrington was unquestionably the leader of his teams and he stuck around for his senior season (leading the Ducks to a #2 national ranking) while Wheaton left a year early. Not that leaving a year early disqualifies you (Mariota), but in a close race it is definitely a factor.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

If Wheaton isn't on it, then Rich Brooks must be. There has to be someone on there who symbolizes the foundation upon with all else was built... and I'm not talking about Phil Knight's money, which continues to make a difference today... but more about the coaches and players who built the program with their blood and sweat.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I think it would have to be two players on the mountain at a minimum, and Wheaton and Marcus would be my choices. I'd then go with Chip and either Brooks or Mike B.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Yeah, this would be easier to do if there were separate Mount Rushmores for the football coaches and players. The coaches are pretty clear cut with Len Casanova, Rich Brooks, Mike Bellotti and Chip Kelly. The players are more debatable.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

KingofDucks wrote:Which 4 people would comprise Oregon football's Mount Rushmore?

For me, it's Phil Knight, Mike Bellotti, Chip Kelly, and Marcus Mariota.

Pre, Joey, Chris Miller, Ronnie Lee, Dan Fouts, Ahmad Rashad...

This ain't your fathers' U of O...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I would be in the camp of while be glad Phil Knight has plugged lots and lots and lots of money into the program he should no be on the Mt Rushmore of Oregon football. It is a tough call for me because I was raised in the age where Oregon was nothing... except a doormat. I have seen teams walk all over Oregon and when we played Notre Dame to a 10-10 tie it would not get any better. Thankfully it has. Growing up I never thought would see the day. I am pondering who I would put as the 4 as I type it. Tough for me to limit it to just 4 people. I think Dan Fouts and Bobby Moore have to be considered. They came to Oregon when Oregon was a nobody. They set some pretty high records that some still survive to this day. Don't ask me what ones because am just guessing some are still around that belong to them. Then you have people like Joey Harrington who got us the first #2 overall ranking at the end of the season... and this was before Oregon started running the spread. Marcus has to be mentioned not because he is fresh but because collectively he might be the best qb to ever play at Oregon. If there is a coach on it I would be ok with it being Len Casanova.... or Rich Brooks... or Mike Bellotti and certainly Chip Kelly.. Helfrich... will not put there at this time. I am still not sold on him. That can change this year. This year will get to see how good he really is. I could see Oregon losing 1 game or as many as 5 games. I hope its closer to 1 game than 5 but that's a different topic and while I drifted... I do not want to turn this into a topic bout Helfrich.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Solution to the Phil Knight dilemma...

Regardless of who's on the sculpture, we name the mountain after Uncle Phil.

Mt. Knight... has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

In fact, Phil would probably buy the land with the mountain on it, pay for the sculpture to be built, and then lease or sell it to the University for $1/year or something.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

Great topic "KingofDucks" to pass time while we're waiting for Sept 5th to get here:

Here's my humble opinion if it's based on football only and why.

Phil Knight-Creator/Sponsor of Nike Universe and U of O Duck Football/Sports.
Joey Harrington-1st Heisman hopeful from the U of O/NY Billboard. Gave us a taste of what it's like to WIN on the big stage.
Marcus Mariota-Heisman winner/Ambassador for the U of O.
Charles Kelly-Creator/Innovator of the "Blur Offense."

Honorable Mention:

Kenny Wheaton-The Pick
Dan Fouts-1st Duck QB to start/win in the NFL
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

An alternative lineup, just for the lulz:

Neil Everett
The lead singer of SupWichUGirl
Coach Rad
Damon Huard
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

polyduck wrote:Great topic "KingofDucks" to pass time while we're waiting for Sept 5th to get here:

Dan Fouts-1st Duck QB to start/win in the NFL
Pro football Hall of Fame Norm VanBrocklin, #1 draft pick George Shaw, and Pro Bowler Bob Berry are all former Duck quarterbacks that preceded Fouts and had success at that position in the NFL.
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

nogerO wrote:
KingofDucks wrote:Which 4 people would comprise Oregon football's Mount Rushmore?

Everyone has a different way of viewing the Mount Rushmore, right? For me, I chose the 4 people I felt were most integral to getting the football program to the elite status it currently holds. Bill Moos, Rich Brooks, and Len Casanova just missed out.

Pre didn't play football. And among the others on your list missing, I would add Bill Musgrave, Shy Huntington, and Norm Van Brocklin.
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

KingofDucks wrote:
nogerO wrote:

Everyone has a different way of viewing the Mount Rushmore, right? For me, I chose the 4 people I felt were most integral to getting the football program to the elite status it currently holds. Bill Moos, Rich Brooks, and Len Casanova just missed out.

Pre didn't play football. And among the others on your list missing, I would add Bill Musgrave, Shy Huntington, and Norm Van Brocklin.
Oh....and my father went to Stanford. ;)
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I would go with Uncle Phil, Chip, LMJ, and Marcus
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

Could consider J. Stew and Haloti as early pace setters, Puddles for the beat down he gave the Houston Cougar, and Cliff Harris for when the mount needs to blow some smoke. Seems we haven't done a ballot poll in quite a while.