50%
50%

Total votes: 24
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Top Ten 2002 DASL Draft Grades

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Alright please don't be upset. This is mostly just having some fun with the Fred Jones story. Don't take it personal. Its mostly about Fred Jones.

1. Utah Jazz: A-
Selected Dwyane Wade out of Marquette University. Top two players in the draft were a troubled sophomore and a young high school prospect. Even though Wade got disgruntled with the coaches, he is still the best player in the draft. Nicknamed the Flash because of his quick slashing abilities who can get inside the paint and make magic. Utah has been looking for a superstar and I believe they found the right man. Wade and Redd are a talented one two punch. Now we will have to wait and see if the quiet town of Salt Lake City can keep this young from going in the wrong direction. Let's just hope he doesn't choke any head coaches.
Rookie Projections: 15ppg
Rookie Comparison: Latrell Sprewell ;)

2. Sacramento Kings: B+
Selected Amar'e Stoudemire out of Cypress Creek High School. His age and potential alone make him a number one pick consideration. One thing is for sure, the Kings found the cornerstone piece to their franchise. He is for sure to win dunk contest or two. This freak of nature will have opponents wishing he gone to college. I for one can't wait to see what he does in the center stage. Zo, DRob and Shaq are getting older and A'mare might become the next great big man. Only time will tell and for a city full of hope, Sacramento might have found their next monarch.
Rookie Projections: 17ppg, 8rpg
Rookie Comparison: Vin Baker

3. New Jersey Nets: C+
Selected Tayshaun Prince from the University of Kentucky. Prince joins a young competitive team with teammates Chauncey Billups, Jason Richardson, Richard Hamilton and Brian Grant. The Nets are one or two pieces from being a playoff contender. The development of Prince and JRich will be the key to the Nets success. You wonder if passing on Carlos Boozer will linger through the Meadowland. Overall Tayshaun was a great pickup. Someone who can play both ends of the floor. I think everyone in New Jersey will be happy the way their luck has been running.
Rookie Projections: 8ppg
Rookie Comparison: Grant Hill

4. Phoenix Suns: C-
Selected Carlos Boozer from the University of Duke. Reason they get a C-, Suns have drafted power forwards back to back years. Especially one who averaged 20ppg last season. Especially when you have no small forwards or point guards. They do get a good grade though for drafting the best available player. Boozer is a tough physical player. Should be able to get inside the paint and fight for rebounds. Not sure what his minutes will look like or if he will even be on the Suns for the rest of the year. I know one thing, the Suns were not happy falling to the number four pick. Maybe next year.
Rookie Projections: 10ppg, 7rpg
Rookie Comparison: Elton Brand

5. Chicago Bulls: C-
Selected Caron Butler from the University of Connecticut. When you pass up Fred Jones for a guy who fell under the radar. This is what happens. Either the Bulls see something very special in "Tough Juice" or they made a huge mistake. Given that, Caron Butler is still a solid pickup. Either he becomes an all star or you get a solid starter in the future. Okur, Brand, Kirilenko and Butler is a very nice young foundation. Now they just need a point guard who can elevate them to the playoffs.
Rookie Projections: 8ppg
Rookie Comparison: Michael Finley

6. Toronto Raptors: D
Selected Juan Dixon out of University of Maryland. Due to the fact the Raptors have Van Exel, this made no sense. Again either the Raptors see something special in Dixon or they made a huge mistake passing on Fred Jones. Either Juan becomes Baron Davis 2.0 or you get David Wesley. High risk for a team rebuilding. I will cut Toronto some slack. They did draft the best point guard in the draft. I would of loved to see how Nene and Curry would of played together. All I know is Dixon better be ready for training camp. And pray he develops a shot like Barros.
Rookie Projections: 11ppg
Rookie Comparison: Bobby Hurley

7. Atlanta Hawks: B-
Selected Nene Hilario out of Brazil. At age 19 who knows what type of prospect you will get. But this kid seems very defensive minded. Nene and Crash have the luxury of being role players. Baron Davis, Jamal Crawford and Kevin Garnett must step it out or you could see one or two packing their bags. I like what the Hawks are doing. Stocking up on talent and hope one of them turns into a superstar. Unfortunately I do not see Nene being the next superstar. Great pick especially when you need a center.
Rookie Projections: 8ppg, 9rpg
Rookie Comparison: Juwan Howard

8. Indiana Pacers: D+
Selected Samuel Dalembert out of Seton Hall. The Haitian born center is a great shot blocker. All the Pacers needed was someone who can protect the paint. Only reason I gave them a D+ and not a C- is you got to take some risks. Dalembert, O'Neal and Odom make a great frontcourt but you also miss on a chance to take a potential all star caliber player. Maybe Jay Williams could of developed into a great point guard or maybe Fred Jones wins rookie of the year. You got to take chances and it seems the Pacers took the safe bet. And maybe they turn into busts. But I feel Jay Williams would have been the perfect pick for Indiana. Next season who knows maybe I'll be the stupid one and Dalembert wins Rookie of the Year.
Rookie Projections: 7ppg and 9rpg
Rookie Comparison: DeSagana Diop

9. Cleveland Cavaliers: B-
Selected Jay Williams from the University of Duke. Jay is a great pick at number nine. Undersized but Cavs fill a void from losing Mercer last season. This pick may haunt Cleveland depending on the development of Fred Jones. Clearly Cavaliers fans hope Jay Williams becomes the next Iverson but I don't see him being a top 10 scorer in the league. Great player to have in the rotation if he can develop playing the point, he may be the steal of the draft. I do see him as a all rookie second team reason Cavs get a B-.
Rookie Projections: 12ppg
Rookie Comparison: Derreck Martin

10. Orlando Magic: A
Selected Fred Jones out of Oregon. The Orlando Magic strike big and hit hard, stealing the college phenom to Florida. Penny and Jones may make one heck of a backcourt. Fred Jones may turn into the best player of the draft. He could also be a bust, one reason the other nine teams stayed away. Magic add to their young core of Swift, Rashard Lewis, Richard Jefferson and Fred Jones. With Penny aging, Orlando may have found their next star.
Rookie Projections: 15ppg
Rookie Comparison: Derek Lee
mking22wvu
Three Star Recruit

Re: Top Ten 2002 DASL Draft Grades

Post by mking22wvu »

12. Golden State Warriors: A+
Selected Drew Gooden from Kansas. He was passed on by 11 teams mostly due to the fact that his aura was so bright, they never could get a good look at him. The Warriors trusted his Geez-like persona, and made the wisest choice in league history.
Rookie Projections: 42ppg
Rookie Comparison: Wilt Chamberlain

Seriously, though, fun article....I think the top 4 are gonna be really good players.
stylesofpunk
Three Star Recruit

Post by stylesofpunk »

Van Exel is 30 Dixon is a work in progress and could possibly take over for him in the future. There was one starter from this draft(Wade) for this year and it was developmental players from 2 on I had to go with Dixon after Chitown took Butler right before me
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Harsh grader, but this is definitely one of the weakest drafts ever. I'm surprised no one from pick 3 to 8 tried to trade down or out of the draft.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
stylesofpunk
Three Star Recruit

Post by stylesofpunk »

Nets just need Sheed and Big Ben now and they will have Big Ben/Sheed/Prince/Rip/Billups which would be amazing to see
jibbajabba614
Senior

Post by jibbajabba614 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Harsh grader, but this is definitely one of the weakest drafts ever. I'm surprised no one from pick 3 to 8 tried to trade down or out of the draft.
U know i had all A,B and C's until #10. I changed them cause the fred jones hype early in the season.
stylesofpunk
Three Star Recruit

Post by stylesofpunk »

jibbajabba614 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Harsh grader, but this is definitely one of the weakest drafts ever. I'm surprised no one from pick 3 to 8 tried to trade down or out of the draft.
U know i had all A,B and C's until #10. I changed them cause the fred jones hype early in the season.

I should be bumped up a little because i gave reason why I picked Dixon :D
jibbajabba614
Senior

Post by jibbajabba614 »

I think Dixon is a good pick. Its more about teams 2-9 not picking the guy who zyme had as the top prospect for draft. Then he put amare and wade in the draft. I gave magic a higher grade than them. Mostly was a comical article
stylesofpunk
Three Star Recruit

Post by stylesofpunk »

his handles killed it for me D+ on handles
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

stylesofpunk wrote:his handles killed it for me D+ on handles
Which is weird since he played Point and excelled IRL.
Marzeial
Freshman
GM: Atlanta Hawks

Post by Marzeial »

I like Fred Jones and thought about pulling the trigger multiple times but there was no way I could do it. I had bigger needs in the front court, the grade is still fair though
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Please vote

dave
Sophomore
GM: Cleveland Cavaliers

Post by dave »

Kind of tough to give out grades before TC but I will vote max points.
CLEVLAND CAVS
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Please keep voting. Once we reach 20 votes, I'll lock in the results.

DrBradBuss
Junior
GM: Detroit Pistons GM

Post by DrBradBuss »

Best player available should get me a B at least. :lol: