"The argument" put in perspective, dead on analyses by Joey

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Re: "The argument" put in perspective, dead on analyses by J

Post by Cedar Tree »

You can make excuses and point to turnovers (which I don't know why you're bringing up- they're a huge part of any defense) all you want, but the fact is the Ducks defense of all those games (4/5 of which were big time games as well) was solid at the very least.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Our D last year finished 82nd, point all you want to whatever you want, but that's not good. Rick Neuhisel was on in Seattle last week and explained our D pretty well, he said last year we weren't good but Mariota covered those holes up by scoring so fast and making teams have to play catchup. He also pointed out how unsound we our fundamentally, both last year and this year. I know he's not highly thought of around UO, but he's one of the best I've heard at breaking down x and o.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

It still boggles my mind that people are defending DP.
Scoring Defense = 113th
Passing Defense = 115th
Rushing Defense = 61st. (Why run when every pass is a guaranteed completion?)
Total Defense = 103rd
Opponent 1st downs = 106th
Opponent 3rd down conversions = 78th
Opponent 4th down conversions = 116th
Opponent red zone conversions = 110th
Opponent plays over 10 yards = 92nd
20 yards = 105th
30 yards = 97th
40 yards = 86th
50 yards = 97th
60 yards = 122nd
70 yards = 113th

The Beavers are better than the ducks in every single one of those categories and they don't have the depth or talent that Oregon does. How anyone can look at those numbers and suggest that we don't have a coaching problem is truly unbelievable. I don't think that DP deserves "more time" to implement his philosophy because it clearly doesn't work. While, firing him right now would not be ideal, statistically speaking, it isn't like it would possibly make our defense any worse. I think he should be allowed to finish out the season but there is no way that he should still be the DC once the season ends.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Post by Cedar Tree »

Never once claimed our defense was a brick wall all season long. There's always room for improvement. I was just pointing out that our defense has had some very respectable performances under Coach Pellum (including some huge games).
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Cedar Tree wrote:Never once claimed our defense was a brick wall all season long. There's always room for improvement. I was just pointing out that our defense has had some very respectable performances under Coach Pellum (including some huge games).
Lol. The only brick wall in this discussion is the skulls of those defending Pellum. Impregnable defense all of you are running.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Lol. The only brick wall in this discussion is the skulls of those defending Pellum. Impregnable defense all of you are running.
I really wish people would cool it with the insults... especially coming from a moderator.

Seriously, be above that.

All Cedar said was that some of Oregon's defensive performance under Pellum were respectable. That's a completely true statement, and you should be able to admit to that while still wanting him fired. Because the reasons you want him fired are for schematic issues that appear in every game, correct? Even the games with good outcomes?

The mob mentality on this forum has been borderline unbearable lately. If the moderators want to limit membership to people who only adhere to specific views of the team, then stop beating around the bush and make that a rule. Otherwise, moderators (especially) should be treating all community members with respect. That "thick skulls" bit was completely juvenile.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Saying someone is hard headed, or thick skilled (aka stubborn) is mob mentality?

You are feeling picked on because you come to the aid of coaches (D coordinator in particular) who regularly under perform. That's noble, but you are going to take heat because you try to point out and focus on a few minuscule rays of sun light and tend to ignore the big picture of a massive raging storm around the tiny snippets of sunshine. That attracts frustration from folks because it seems so very obvious to most how bad things are. Those stats posted earlier in the thread say everything that needs to be said. Defending Pellum's results will bring out frustration in others because it's considered by most borderline ludicrous to try to defend such horrible results.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

You can criticize my views on the team without being so god damned condescending. Do I sit here calling you guys a bunch of spoiled babies who are so wrapped up in false sense of entitlements that you blindly ignore large sets of data just to carry on your little anger circles?

I think that's childish. That's why I argue with actual facts and data rather than insults.

People who don't agree with the angry mob shouldn't ever feel picked on. Just argue with facts and cut out this childish "you are crazy if you don't think this" bullshit.

Mods, please let me know if I am wasting my breath on this. I have enjoyed my time in this community, but I want no part in this mentality if it is to be condoned.

Actually, f*** it. I'm out. I am actually a forum mod for a much larger community site and I would never allow the kind of condescending tone I've seen here through the course of this season. This just isn't my kind of crowd anymore.

To those of you who kept it real for so long, "GO DUCKS!"
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Ok, let's all settle down here. We all want the same thing, a good D and and duck wins. I don't think there is any mob out to get anyone, just a vast majority of people who expect the D to at least be able to be a top 40 D. I seriously doubt anyone here is mad that we don't have LSU D, that would be great, but most of us just want a D who gets off the field a few times a half, doesn't continue to give WR free reign of the field. Challenge them at the LOS, don't give the qb wide open WR all day, and show some fire out there in the secondary.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Well I'd like a quarterback who can consistently complete passes(not ones to the other team). I think you can make a case that Frost has been just as bad as DP as a coordinator this year. With the skill positions on offense, most coordinators could get that offense to score points. But no one seems to be calling for his head, every second of every game. I think a lot of the frustrations are unrealistic. ALL teams have down years. The talent level on Oregons defense is not there right now. Some of the young guys will be good, but there are growing pains. I wonder what people would complain about if DP wasn't here, or the D had a great game. Starting times for games? Announcers? I love my Ducks, always have and always will. Some of the reactions on this board and others, sorta prove peoples points about bandwagon fans. I bet there were some people in here calling for Chips head after his first game as HC. Sorry for the rant

ps Like pez said disagreements are fine...but chill on the insults. JMO
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

pezsez1 wrote:
I really wish people would cool it with the insults... especially coming from a moderator.

Seriously, be above that.

All Cedar said was that some of Oregon's defensive performance under Pellum were respectable. That's a completely true statement, and you should be able to admit to that while still wanting him fired. Because the reasons you want him fired are for schematic issues that appear in every game, correct? Even the games with good outcomes?

The mob mentality on this forum has been borderline unbearable lately. If the moderators want to limit membership to people who only adhere to specific views of the team, then stop beating around the bush and make that a rule. Otherwise, moderators (especially) should be treating all community members with respect. That "thick skulls" bit was completely juvenile.
Very well said, I don't think a moderator has any place making a statement like that. As a moderator it's there job, duty, responsibility to keep things from getting out of hand and not allow name calling and/or letting members comments escalate into a bitter rivalry.

Since I'm on a soap box I'll address the mob mentally issue, before this thread gets locked :mrgreen: , if a member makes a negative comment against another member or group of members because of a difference of opinion or view on an issue knowing others have showed an opinion backing their own, it creates an perspective of a mob mentality. I only joined a few months ago, but have felt the mob mentally factor since I questioned VA's ability to pass a math class and questioned his leadership ability because of it. I'll get off my box now, I only wanted to point out maybe some should think about others opinion and see if it has any validity to it before just opening up an attack on them because of differences in views.

Time to take my box back to the closet. :lol:
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

pezsez1 wrote:You can criticize my views on the team without being so god damned condescending. Do I sit here calling you guys a bunch of spoiled babies who are so wrapped up in false sense of entitlements that you blindly ignore large sets of data just to carry on your little anger circles?

I think that's childish. That's why I argue with actual facts and data rather than insults.

People who don't agree with the angry mob shouldn't ever feel picked on. Just argue with facts and cut out this childish "you are crazy if you don't think this" bullshit.

Mods, please let me know if I am wasting my breath on this. I have enjoyed my time in this community, but I want no part in this mentality if it is to be condoned.

Actually, f*** it. I'm out. I am actually a forum mod for a much larger community site and I would never allow the kind of condescending tone I've seen here through the course of this season. This just isn't my kind of crowd anymore.

To those of you who kept it real for so long, "GO DUCKS!"
Well Pezsez I for one hope you're not gone, I do enjoy your comments. I also belong to other forums and this one gets a little rocky sometimes. So I hope you cool off and return, you most here are mature enough to see what happened. It bothered me also that a mod would go to name calling...... I have never seen that before on any board.

Take care, Alan
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Yikes Pez. First of all, my post was mostly tongue in cheek. Secondly, it wasn't even directed at you. You have been pretty reasonable when it comes to Pellum.

Lastly, I wasn't "insulting" anyone. After being shown an entire list of stats showing just how deplorable our defense is under Pellum, CedarTree ignores it, offers no rebuttal, and instead clings to the fallacy that our worst-in-the-country defense has been respectable. Which is very hard-headed, or "brick skulled". If this drives you from the forum then you are way too sensitive. It's a forum for goodness sakes.
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Post by Cedar Tree »

Wow. Never would've thought my post would result in all this nonsense.

Like I said before, all I'm saying is our defense has played well under Pellum in some games. Others they haven't, sure, but I disagree with the idea that our defense has been awful every single game under Pellum, contrary to what another poster was saying.

If you don't agree with me, that's fine. I don't expect everyone to. But I refuse to jump on the "fire Pellum" bandwagon, and if you want to call me thick-skulled because of this, go right ahead. I couldn't care less.

And pezsez, if you're reading, sorry to see you go. I enjoyed reading your posts and held you in higher regard than most other members of this forum.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

Pez, hate to see you go because you are consistently involved in chat. However, I didn't see any reason to get this fired up. I didn't see you as defending Pellum but tryng to be positive about the coaches we have and not quite sure that the "brick wall comment" was totally directed at you but more of a generalization.

That said, while this years data is damning, last years results with the talent, and fact that our offensive success forced teams to become one-dimensional, kind of speaks volumes about the value of retaining DP in the new year. If the pressure on his "D" forces a more aggressive approach and he can flip the switch and proving us wrong great. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be the case as I've stated on multiple threads the schematic differences between this defense and leading defenses and find it hard to believe that there will be any signficant changes to the scheme and technique used by the D-line.

Anyway, good luck Pez with your other site. Go Ducks!