"The argument" put in perspective, dead on analyses by Joey

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: "The argument" put in perspective, dead on analyses by J

Post by StevensTechU »

The line and DBs going forward should be in really good shape. Mondeaux, Manu, and Kaumatule as likely starters next year, with TJ Daniel, Carlberg, and Maloata off the bench. Back end will be a year older and wiser, with Jared Mayden, Brady Breeze, and possibly Nigel Knott coming in. If the linebackers can figure it out, a good defensive coordinator would have a lot to work with.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

The sensitivity on this board has been at an all time high as of late. Clearly the ducks need to play better as that's the only true solution to all this!
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

Pez, I hope you change your mind and come back. Things have definitely been a little chippy around here lately...probably the added stress of this season compared to the success we've seen the past few years.

Regardless of what you choose to do, take care and Go Ducks!

Cheers.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Pez, I really do hope you come back eventually since I just think people have a lot of frustration this season that they're not used to dealing with. I do agree that we do need to keep things a little more civil here, especially on topics that can have some really divisive stances. I have a hard time believing we allowed a conversation to get so nasty (or perceived to be that way) that it drove off an original, contributing member here. I think I may have to reevaluate how much time I spend here if we can't even stay civil to other Duck fans.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I'm still trying to find the part in this thread where things become so "nasty". I said something that was pretty obviously tongue in cheek and pez blew a gasket. And it wasn't even directed at him ha.

What drove off Pez was an incredibly high sensitivity. I've been on this board from the beginning as well and I don't think I've ever seen anyone take their ball and go home over something so trivial
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

What's crazy, is this board is the calm Duck board. Other boards are wanting everyone fired. I've actually cancelled my membership to one because it's so bad.

I also belong to a Seahawks board, and a team that is one yard from back to back titles, people (crazy more than likely front runner fans)want the OC and OL coaches fired. They want everyone on the OL cut, and Jimmy Graham traded for OL. Fans can be and are much worse than here.

P stick around, it's a good thing to have varying opinions.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I'm still trying to find the part in this thread where things become so "nasty". I said something that was pretty obviously tongue in cheek and pez blew a gasket. And it wasn't even directed at him ha.

What drove off Pez was an incredibly high sensitivity. I've been on this board from the beginning as well and I don't think I've ever seen anyone take their ball and go home over something so trivial
He took it as personal because you weren't clear in your target or tone as to who you were calling dense. Your use of "skulls" made it seem like you were targeting anybody who had defended Pellum, not just the one. Seeing as how Pez was one of the main people defending Pellum, I can see why he took offense to it, especially coming from a moderator who shouldn't be one insulting someone. Plus, tone is not exactly easily conveyed so he didn't see it as tongue in cheek (neither did I until your explanation and even then it's still hard to take it that way.) With your explanation not taking place until after he called it quits, he couldn't have known that.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I'm still trying to find the part in this thread where things become so "nasty". I said something that was pretty obviously tongue in cheek and pez blew a gasket. And it wasn't even directed at him ha.

He took it as personal because you weren't clear in your target or tone as to who you were calling dense. Your use of "skulls" made it seem like you were targeting anybody who had defended Pellum, not just the one. Seeing as how Pez was one of the main people defending Pellum, I can see why he took offense to it, especially coming from a moderator who shouldn't be one insulting someone. Plus, tone is not exactly easily conveyed so he didn't see it as tongue in cheek (neither did I until your explanation and even then it's still hard to take it that way.) With your explanation not taking place until after he called it quits, he couldn't have known that.
Very well stated greenyellow, the fact it came from a mod set me back some what. This is a pretty tough forum, with plenty of insults followed by "oh I was joking" back pedaling, for the most part I contribute it to members ages, that's not meant as an insult to anyone, just members at different stages of life.

One message board I have belonged to for just over 12 years had a mod start personal attacks on two different members, that lasted about a day before the mod was banned. Thomas dixon, I saw your post the same way greenyellow saw it, a mod has no place posting something like that, plenty of members do it, your post reflects on the type of board this is and the amount of respect someone can expect.

I took a lot of heat when I first joined for saying VA may not be able to play at this level and I needed to see proof before I could anoint him. Then I took much more heat for feeling he wasn't responsible enough to get to camp on time and questioned his leadership ability. How has he turned out so far? I joined and soon knew if I had a differing opinion I better look out for incoming stones, not a whole lot of intelligent conversation just your wrong because your wrong type come backs. All I'm saying is that mod was out of line, fine for a member not a mod IMO and just my perspective of this board from a newbies view ......... It can get rough without a whole lot of debate, just stone throwing.

Pez was simply using facts to defend his view of DP and got fed up with the BS.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

I took exactly as you intended. I've seen vitriol on this and DT and quite frankly that wasn't it. It was a broad generalization. Yes, it generated discussion but while you hate to see someone who's so active leave at least it should be over something a bit more direct. Bummer about Pez but he's been getting sensitive on quite a few comments lately some justified some not so much. However, I think the contrary rebuttals to all of his comments likely pushed it over the edge for his response to this one. Bummer

In fairness, we need more comments grounded in experience and understanding of the game anyway so I'm sure someone else will take up the mantle. That said, with this talent, if we do not turn the corner and hold teams under 20 consistently the scheme and adjustments are the problem, a.k.a - Coaching..... Guys like Mattingly and Swain should be able to grasp and react instantly after 2 years in the scheme. The line should play one-gap penetrating defense more often and the DL technique needs to be addressed. I can tell from stance who's running 2 gap and who isn't so something needs to change there as well.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

PM'd Pez, hopefully he'll reconsider. Also, been talking to dthomas=ddixon.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

karlhungis wrote:It still boggles my mind that people are defending DP.
Scoring Defense = 113th
Passing Defense = 115th
Rushing Defense = 61st. (Why run when every pass is a guaranteed completion?)
Total Defense = 103rd
Opponent 1st downs = 106th
Opponent 3rd down conversions = 78th
Opponent 4th down conversions = 116th
Opponent red zone conversions = 110th
Opponent plays over 10 yards = 92nd
20 yards = 105th
30 yards = 97th
40 yards = 86th
50 yards = 97th
60 yards = 122nd
70 yards = 113th

The Beavers are better than the ducks in every single one of those categories and they don't have the depth or talent that Oregon does. How anyone can look at those numbers and suggest that we don't have a coaching problem is truly unbelievable. I don't think that DP deserves "more time" to implement his philosophy because it clearly doesn't work. While, firing him right now would not be ideal, statistically speaking, it isn't like it would possibly make our defense any worse. I think he should be allowed to finish out the season but there is no way that he should still be the DC once the season ends.
Getting back on thread though, I'm with Karl on this one. The stats don't lie, and at this point DP is performing far below average up to this point.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13