The last time Oregon started 2-5..

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: The last time Oregon started 2-5..

Post by buckmarkduck »

I'm not a Spartan or anything else, I could care less what their issues are. I'm a duck, and I only care where this team is headed right now, and in the future. Does anyone really want to wait and see if Hoke can recruit his guys, and turn the d around in 2-3 years? Besides at this point he has one DL recruit, I'm not seeing a big swing in DL coming to UO that will make our D legit anytime soon. Sometimes it's ok to admit defeat, cut bait and bring in someone else.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

I agree! Hoke has shown a complete inability to play to with the assets he has. He is actually worse than Pellum. To think that people were talking pre-season about "how long can we keep him," is laughable.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

jimmy12 wrote:I was on the field yesterday at the Rams vs Giants game in London and spoke to one of the assistant coaches for the Rams. We talked about the Ducks and their issues. He is of the firm belief this is just a downward cycle and one that happens in college football. He was also quick to point out that over the past few years, the Ducks were LOADED on defense. I paused, he then said that is the Rams number 1 CB is (former Duck) Troy Hill. Troy Hill wasn't even the Ducks top corner. It was Ifo. If any of you watched yesterday, he absolutely shut down Odel Beckham Jr. The one long pass that OBJ caught yesterday, Hill had switched and OBJ beat the safety. So, here is my point, the Ducks have been blessed with Monster talent in DeForest and Armstead on the inside and Troy Hill and Ifo on the outside. This team has some talent, but they are young and really lack the 3-4 stars that are needed to make a difference. We all hoped Canton and Arrion were those guys. Right now they are not.
Oregon had a mediocre defense with outstanding players. Not sure that's exactly a compliment. Seems pretty apparent that Neal, and probably Pellum and Hoke, have got to go.

Oregon isn't the only young defense in college football, but they're the only one that ranks 128th in defense.

Regarding comparing Helfrich to Dantonio (of Brian Kelly or David Shaw, for that matter), every team has blips on the radar. It's really uncommon that you get a Dana Altman-like ascendance, where every year is better than the last. However, Dantonio has done something pretty close to that. 4 wins before the year he got there, followed by 7, 9, 6, 11, 11... and so on (13 wins in 2013). He built his success, which gives you the understanding that he can do it again. Helfrich hasn't done that. He took a veteran team with a Heisman quarterback really far, but 'his team' is looking worse and worse by the year.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Pellum is a definite. He has proven he can't coach any longer. I believe he could years ago, but not now. Hoke is terrible

Neal-- I have problems with. Did he just become bad this year? (or did he just recruit poorly). Ugo is terrible and the Safety's have actually gotten worse.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

jimmy12 wrote:Pellum is a definite. He has proven he can't coach any longer. I believe he could years ago, but not now. Hoke is terrible

Neal-- I have problems with. Did he just become bad this year? (or did he just recruit poorly). Ugo is terrible and the Safety's have actually gotten worse.
In looking at it, Neal has hit the jackpot on some players who have become NFL studs, and it actually worries me that they were never as dominant in college as they've been in the NFL. That goes for Troy Hill, TJ Ward, Jairus Byrd, Spencer Paysinger, and perhaps others. When evaluating it, he's basically been good with great talent, and pretty bad with average talent (last 2 years). Only guys I can say really played above their talent level under Neal were Avery Patterson and Brian Jackson.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Don't forget John Boyett. He was a pretty good safety before his injury. Was definitely a playmaker. I would be fine if they get rid of Hoke but think they will weigh that option at end of year.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Don't forget John Boyett. He was a pretty good safety before his injury. Was definitely a playmaker. I would be fine if they get rid of Hoke but think they will weigh that option at end of year.
Boyett played to his talent level, IMO. He was really good when healthy, and he'd still be in the NFL if it wasn't for personal issues.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I'd say Aiken was a big step down from Azzinaro and should likely be one to go. Under Azz, our DL were active and got off blocks fairly well while the DL under Aiken seem lethargic and have trouble getting any type of push or pass rush.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:I'd say Aiken was a big step down from Azzinaro and should likely be one to go. Under Azz, our DL were active and got off blocks fairly well while the DL under Aiken seem lethargic and have trouble getting any type of push or pass rush.
And yet before that he had a dominant odd front in Arizona. I think Aiken is out of place in one gapping but he was fine teaching two gap. This is where it's hard to discern what the scheme calls for and the HC and DC want vs what the coach wants.

For example, Bellotti criticizing the 10 yard depths of the CBs was rich when we haven't seen constant press coverage since 2003 with Gipson and Phinisee. That 10 yard island stuff started on his watch but since it continues do we say it's all Neal?
BTJ201
Three Star Recruit

Post by BTJ201 »

Duck07 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I'd say Aiken was a big step down from Azzinaro and should likely be one to go. Under Azz, our DL were active and got off blocks fairly well while the DL under Aiken seem lethargic and have trouble getting any type of push or pass rush.
And yet before that he had a dominant odd front in Arizona. I think Aiken is out of place in one gapping but he was fine teaching two gap. This is where it's hard to discern what the scheme calls for and the HC and DC want vs what the coach wants.

For example, Bellotti criticizing the 10 yard depths of the CBs was rich when we haven't seen constant press coverage since 2003 with Gipson and Phinisee. That 10 yard island stuff started on his watch but since it continues do we say it's all Neal?
Oh man memories, Gibson and Phinisee. It sometimes felt like we were in prevent defense all for quarters
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

Not that it matters but I thought it was Gipson/Binns that was the all time nadir in Oregon CB play.
BTJ201
Three Star Recruit

Post by BTJ201 »

Kimber45 wrote:Not that it matters but I thought it was Gipson/Binns that was the all time nadir in Oregon CB play.
binns? You mean Jackie Bates? I'm at that age where they are all starting to run togather.
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

J. Bates. Now there's a name I haven't heard in awhile either.

I think Binns is correct though: http://www.dailyemerald.com/2005/04/27/ ... n-defense/

And if I remember correctly Phinisee left the program too to pursue skateboarding or to design street clothes or something like that.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

BTJ201 wrote:
Kimber45 wrote:Not that it matters but I thought it was Gipson/Binns that was the all time nadir in Oregon CB play.
binns? You mean Jackie Bates? I'm at that age where they are all starting to run togather.
Marques Binns was #2, always wore a white sweat band around his neck and would flash gang signs during games. Was very good at back pedaling, not much else. Currently doing 15 on a disputed murder that involves a friend of DeSean Jaccson no less.
BTJ201
Three Star Recruit

Post by BTJ201 »

Duck07 wrote:
BTJ201 wrote:
Marques Binns was #2, always wore a white sweat band around his neck and would flash gang signs during games. Was very good at back pedaling, not much else. Currently doing 15 on a disputed murder that involves a friend of DeSean Jaccson no less.
That's right, I remember him now. Bell rung! He was a peach!