Coaches Tied to Oregon Job (Comprehensive List)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: Coaches Tied to Oregon Job (Comprehensive List)

Post by GrandpaDuck »

TualatinDuck wrote:I cant see Gundy leaving Okie State.
Salary history, facilities, proximity to recruits, billionaire booster support are all ties or tilt to OkSU's favor. Why would he leave and why would we want him?
ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ArkansasDuck »

SuperDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Taggart has turned around a couple stinky teams into competitive teams. I just wonder if Oregon is a big jump for him.
He has an excellent QB (Flowers) to run his offense. It's hard to say if his success this season is more due to superior QB play or not. Kind of like when Marcus was here. It masked a few things because of the points he was able to put up.

I'm an Arkansas State Red Wolves fan and alumni and I watched Willie Taggart bring Western Kentucky from FCS to a respectable bowl eligible FBS team. You've got to understand just how bad this team was when he got there. I watched his team up close 2 times and he is a very versatile and technically sound coach. He preaches details...few penalties, technically sound blocking, lots of WR blocking, sound tackling on defense. The only thing is that it was like watching Stanford. He used primarily 2-TE sets (including Jack Doyle-Colts) and gave it to his RB (Antonio Andrews of the Titans) for most of the game with very little passing. That's very un-Oregon like. However he did recruit Brandon Doughty (Miami Dolphins) at QB who turned out to be a heck of a QB passing for 5,000 yards and 48 TD's in each of his final 2 seasons although Taggart had already moved on by that time.

WKUs first FBS season was 2009. He didn't coach them but was hired in December after their coach went 0-12.
In 2010 he went 2-10
In 2011 he went 7-5 including 7-1 in conference. His lone conf loss came against my RedWolves and Hugh Freeze
In 2012 he went 7-5 including a victory over my RedWolves and Gus Malzahn

Bottom line I think Taggart is a great coach. I think he will be at a big school very soon, however schematically he isn't a fit for what Oregon can run with superb athletes. Taggarts scheme, much like Stanfords, requires players to be bigger and stronger than their opponents. He would be a fit for an SEC or Big10 school, not a Pac12.
Last edited by ArkansasDuck on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
Salary history, facilities, proximity to recruits, billionaire booster support are all ties or tilt to OkSU's favor. Why would he leave and why would we want him?
there have been reports that Gundy and billionaire booster are not on the friendliest of terms..
ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ArkansasDuck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:

It's widely known that Gundy and T Boone Pickens (the Souths Phil Knight) don't get along AT ALL. T Boone calls the shots and I think it's wearing thin on Gundy.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

ArkansasDuck wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Taggart has turned around a couple stinky teams into competitive teams. I just wonder if Oregon is a big jump for him.
He has an excellent QB (Flowers) to run his offense. It's hard to say if his success this season is more due to superior QB play or not. Kind of like when Marcus was here. It masked a few things because of the points he was able to put up.

I'm an Arkansas State Red Wolves fan and alumni and I watched Willie Taggart bring Western Kentucky from FCS to a respectable bowl eligible FBS team. You've got to understand just how bad this team was when he got there. I watched his team up close 2 times and he is a very versatile and technically sound coach. He preaches details...few penalties, technically sound blocking, lots of WR blocking, sound tackling on defense. The only thing is that it was like watching Stanford. He used primarily 2-TE sets (including Jack Doyle-Colts) and gave it to his RB (Antonio Andrews of the Titans) for most of the game with very little passing. That's very un-Oregon like. However he did recruit Brandon Doughty (Miami Dolphins) at QB who turned out to be a heck of a QB passing for 5,000 yards and 48 TD's in each of his final 2 seasons although Taggart had already moved on by that time.

WKUs first FBS season was 2009. He didn't coach them but was hired in December after their coach went 0-12.
In 2010 he went 2-10
In 2011 he went 7-5 including 7-1 in conference. His lone conf loss came against my RedWolves and Hugh Freeze

Bottom line I think Taggart is a great coach. I think he will be at a big school very soon, however schematically he isn't a fit for what Oregon can run with superb athletes. Taggarts scheme, much like Stanfords, requires players to be bigger and stronger than their opponents. He would be a fit for an SEC or Big10 school, not a Pac12.
The difference with Taggart now is that he went to a spread offense to take advantage of the types of athletes he could attract at USF. He's a much better fit, offensively, for Oregon now than when he was at WKU, which may be why his name continues being a leader in their search.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

mrpd21 wrote:I just need them to hire anyone at this point, for the sake of my work productivity...
:lol: Right?

Chip would make the most sense, not only for us, but also for him.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

guys at work here are going crazy. They believe you just go down to your local 7-11 and
find a coach it cant be that hard... well Oregon is proving them wrong. I have this gut feeling
that it will be someone that has not been mentioned yet...not sure why.. Just to many twists and
turns....
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

greenyellow wrote:
ArkansasDuck wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

In 2010 he went 2-10

The difference with Taggart now is that he went to a spread offense to take advantage of the types of athletes he could attract at USF. He's a much better fit, offensively, for Oregon now than when he was at WKU, which may be why his name continues being a leader in their search.
Yes, he has dumped his own offense and turned it over to a new OC who put in a spread and got +8 wins for the first time. So he gets a provisional A for his OC hire and a D- for his DC hire. The 'A' has an asterisk because it might be the QB as much as the OC.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

ArkansasDuck wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:

It's widely known that Gundy and T Boone Pickens (the Souths Phil Knight) don't get along AT ALL. T Boone calls the shots and I think it's wearing thin on Gundy.
So that is why he wants to leave, now part 2. Why do we want him. With all T Boone's money, Texas being in the crapper, A&M and Nebraska out of the league, OU having up and down years, he hasn't really set the world on fire in his last 5 years to justify North of 6 million a year. He isn't even 40 anymore.

I would prefer him over Helf, Harsin, Taggart and Mullen though, so nevermind.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
ArkansasDuck wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:

So that is why he wants to leave, now part 2. Why do we want him. With all T Boone's money, Texas being in the crapper, A&M and Nebraska out of the league, OU having up and down years, he hasn't really set the world on fire in his last 5 years to justify North of 6 million a year. He isn't even 40 anymore.

I would prefer him over Helf, Harsin, Taggart and Mullen though, so nevermind.
He seems to constantly have one foot out the door. I don't want to deal with our next coach interviewing for other jobs after every season.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!