Irele Oderinde suspended for a month without pay

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: Irele Oderinde suspended for a month without pay

Post by rsbgduck »

OregonDonor wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Or it's the response to three student athletes under his guidance ending up in the hospital with a condition that could lead to acute renal failure and necessitate kidney transplants, among other serious and permanent medical problems. The idiocy of the people on here trying to brush this off as no big deal is comical. This guy is paid a significant sum of money to be an expert in the strength and conditioning field and a week into the job, has three kids in the hospital. It has nothing to do with these guys being out of shape, lazy, soft or whatever other BS reasons people are twisting this to be on the players. The university absolutely had to respond, media shitstorm or not. This guy is lucky he didn't lose his job.
Agreed. Some people are clueless. This isn't a 1985 high school football team.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
You're right it is 2017 where some kids and grown adults need safety pins and safe rooms because something didn't go there way.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

rsbgduck wrote:
OregonDonor wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Or it's the response to three student athletes under his guidance ending up in the hospital with a condition that could lead to acute renal failure and necessitate kidney transplants, among other serious and permanent medical problems. The idiocy of the people on here trying to brush this off as no big deal is comical. This guy is paid a significant sum of money to be an expert in the strength and conditioning field and a week into the job, has three kids in the hospital. It has nothing to do with these guys being out of shape, lazy, soft or whatever other BS reasons people are twisting this to be on the players. The university absolutely had to respond, media shitstorm or not. This guy is lucky he didn't lose his job.

You're right it is 2017 where some kids and grown adults need safety pins and safe rooms because something didn't go there way.
You're mistaking ninnies who can't process their emotions with college football players who ended up in the hospital with potential lifelong ramifications. I totally see how you made that connection though, it's so logical.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

All things considered, let's just hope this is one big learning experience for everyone involved. It sound like Brenner has been released and let's hope McCormick and Poutasi follow shortly with no long term impacts. Not even trying to be melodramatic about this but Coach O is responsible for these guys lives. When S&C coaches are negligent, people can die. Look at Cal, Central Florida, Florida State and the Minnesota Vikings for real life examples of that. Mullens, Taggart and Co have handled this about as well as you can so you have to give them props for that. I don't doubt Coach O took the safety of his players seriously before this but he will be very cognizant now.

With that being said, I can't comprehend why some people are so upset about the media attention this has gotten and that Coach O was suspended. But then again, I knew what rhabdo was and how serious it can be prior to Monday night when all of the twitter and message board folks dusted off their Google MD's and became experts. This isn't some media attack on Oregon like some of you are making it out to be. It's embarrassing looking at twitter messages directed at Andrew Greif for breaking this story. You don't get hospitalized for multiple days because you are being a pussy, people realize that right? Everyone has lauded the accountability Taggart preached since he started and the first chance there has been to hold someone accountable, 75% of the fan base starts screaming that the media is picking on us. Pull your heads out of your green and yellow butts for like 10 seconds, join us in reality and realize why the media, NFL players like Joe Thomas, Geoff Schwartz and medical experts are saying this is a big deal. What part of "potential for acute renal failure" leads people down the "these guys are soft and need to be toughened up" path? Seriously, I want to hear a logical defense for this train of thought other than "well the players are supporting Coach O and said it wasn't even that bad." A month ago, those same players were saying to not fire Helf and Co, and nobody cared about what they thought then.

This isn't meant to trash Coach O because a guy like this is exactly what this team seems to need, but he still has the responsibility of keeping everyone safe...and not in the hospital.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Great posts, Duck24. Thank you.

Some folks here need to quit being apologists and get real.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Duck24 wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:
OregonDonor wrote:

You're mistaking ninnies who can't process their emotions with college football players who ended up in the hospital with potential lifelong ramifications. I totally see how you made that connection though, it's so logical.
Every time you step on the football field there are potential life long ramifications. They pushed themselves a little to far lesson learned. This is being blown way out of proportion.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

On a side note I really hope this doesn't suck the drive and intensity out of the students and coaches.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

brich75 wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:
OregonDonor wrote:

Every time you step on the football field there are potential life long ramifications. They pushed themselves a little to far lesson learned. This is being blown way out of proportion.
They weren't on the field, between the lines. This was in offseason workout under the supervision of supposed professionals who are paid a butt ton of money to ensure their safety. They are paid to prevent them from pushing themselves to the point of actually hurting themselves. But please, tell me how kids being hospitalized as a result of an offseason workout isn't a big deal. Still waiting to hear one logical reason that doesn't revolve around being an Oregon fan. Don't worry, I'll wait.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

On a side note I really hope this doesn't suck the drive and intensity out of the students and coaches.
You know what really sucks the intensity out of a player? Rhabdo and a three-day hospital visit.

There is absolutely no reason why this incident should keep the team from working out hard. In fact, if the strength coach does his job, everyone will be able to work out harder but without the rhabdo!

This isn't about coddling players who aren't in shape. Rhabdo happens to athletes who would whoop the asses of anyone here in like 5 seconds... not just football players, but ripped crossfit athletes whose workouts would make you puke your morning cereal.

Part of being an athlete (and I know I'm preaching to the choir for many people here) means not just pushing yourself, but knowing HOW to push yourself. A person who gets rhabdo didn't do that correctly. That's on the strength coach to make sure his players know how to do this.

Also, keep in mind that rhabdo is pretty rare. If you go to the gym and overexert yourself, you may be exhausted and sore for a few days, but you're probably not getting rhabdo. These guys had to seriously overdo it for THREE of them to be diagnosed so closely together. That's a big deal.

And, as said before, I'm fully on board with the new strength coach. In Taggart I trust. But Oderinde needs this suspension.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

What sucks is this wasn't even caused by a workout. He wanted everyone to do the warmups right, and what should have been 5-10 minutes, turned into an hr.
DuckedUp
High School Drop Out

Post by DuckedUp »

There is a positive byproduct of this. Attitudes of the players are changing. You can see it on Twitter. There will be no half-assing it in workouts anymore. They know they must work harder to get into the shape required to compete at the highest level. It is also galvanizing them. The "us against the world" attitude is growing. Players starting to see the media for what they really are. I see this unfortunate circumstance as a key turning point with the team, their attitude, their unity, and their hunger. The media will move on, Coach O will be back and they will be ready come spring. Can't wait to see the results. #FreeCoachO
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm curious if any substantial changes to the workout regimen will be made under Oderinde compared to Radcliffe now that he will be reporting to the director of sports science instead of to coach Taggart.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:I'm curious if any substantial changes to the workout regimen will be made under Oderinde compared to Radcliffe now that he will be reporting to the director of sports science instead of to coach Taggart.
I sure hope so, I would think there will be a whole lot more science put into monitoring the athletes body before, during and after a workout. Chip was big on nutritional input, I hope that hasn't faded away completely.

For me this whole issue is a done deal and behind us except for two things.

Is coach O qualified to be a S&C coach, seems to be some question to his credentials, I would like to know. Second is how much is this going to hurt this years recruiting? Recruits will likely say it's no big deal, their mothers won't.
louisky
One Star Recruit

Post by louisky »

i think he should lose his job. i'm not screaming mad about it or anything but i think it's embarrassing that the guy doesn't have a degree in exercising.
if he's just trying to be a tough guy and it's to the detriment of player health and development -- sounds like an amateur.
should have been reporting to sports science guy all along anyway, too.
please note, i don't hope that he would be fired. but he should be. he acted stupidly and dangerously and was not good at his job. assuming his job is to strengthen kids and not literally break them.

whatever. i'm glad the kids seem excited about him.

don't kill me for my take.
i don't want to fight about it.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

louisky wrote: i don't want to fight about it.
Put up your dukes
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:
louisky wrote: i don't want to fight about it.
Put up your dukes
Them are frighten words! :lol: The bottom line is everything we as a group talk about here is out of our control, nothing we say will change or sway a decision by the Ducks or NCAA, or for the most part the media. Coach O has a month to get moved from Florida and settled in Eugene, changes will be made, are being made..........man I'm really starting to hate this saying......but,"it is what it is". Nothing to fight about.