Irele Oderinde suspended for a month without pay

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

louisky
One Star Recruit

Re: Irele Oderinde suspended for a month without pay

Post by louisky »

StevensTechU wrote:
louisky wrote: i don't want to fight about it.
Put up your dukes
okay fine. first one to rhabdo...wins? loses??
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'll actually just lay down. I don't agree on firing him, due to his incident-free track record prior to the UofO, but I fully agree with the reprimand placed upon him by the athletic department as I think it sends a clear message. Please no kicking while I'm down.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

louisky wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
louisky wrote: i don't want to fight about it.
Put up your dukes
okay fine. first one to rhabdo...wins? loses??
Hopefully you worked out over winter break because as the message board MD's taught us this week, rhabdo is caused by being lazy over winter break.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Duck24 wrote:
brich75 wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:
OregonDonor wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Or it's the response to three student athletes under his guidance ending up in the hospital with a condition that could lead to acute renal failure and necessitate kidney transplants, among other serious and permanent medical problems. The idiocy of the people on here trying to brush this off as no big deal is comical. This guy is paid a significant sum of money to be an expert in the strength and conditioning field and a week into the job, has three kids in the hospital. It has nothing to do with these guys being out of shape, lazy, soft or whatever other BS reasons people are twisting this to be on the players. The university absolutely had to respond, media shitstorm or not. This guy is lucky he didn't lose his job.
Agreed. Some people are clueless. This isn't a 1985 high school football team.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
You're right it is 2017 where some kids and grown adults need safety pins and safe rooms because something didn't go there way.
You're mistaking ninnies who can't process their emotions with college football players who ended up in the hospital with potential lifelong ramifications. I totally see how you made that connection though, it's so logical.
Every time you step on the football field there are potential life long ramifications. They pushed themselves a little to far lesson learned. This is being blown way out of proportion.
They weren't on the field, between the lines. This was in offseason workout under the supervision of supposed professionals who are paid a butt ton of money to ensure their safety. They are paid to prevent them from pushing themselves to the point of actually hurting themselves. But please, tell me how kids being hospitalized as a result of an offseason workout isn't a big deal. Still waiting to hear one logical reason that doesn't revolve around being an Oregon fan. Don't worry, I'll wait.
So as long as it's "between the lines" it's cool for life long ramifications? When they are in a game they are being supervised by professionals and sometimes s*** happens. It's a violent intense sport. You push yourself and your body all the time. All the guys with brain injuries and spinal injuries were also supervised by professionals. when a guy blows out a knee does the strength coach get suspended because that player was going to hard? When a guy gets concussed does the strength coach or head coach get suspended because he was pushing to hard or used improper form? The answer is no. What they do is get them the proper medical attention and try to avoid it in the future learn from it. Which is exactly what happens in This case. The suspension is a result of media pressure and a overreaction.

For those of you that are so appallled by these adults (not kids) being hospitalized because they worked out to hard. You should find another sport to watch. Because the constant and long term brain injuries/damage and body/joint abuse that Most player incurred is much much worse than a bout of crossfitters disease.

Ps the most important thing is to catch it and treat it early which they did!
Last edited by brich75 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
louisky
One Star Recruit

Post by louisky »

StevensTechU wrote:Please no kicking while I'm down.
i never would do that.
plus like i said, i don't want to fight. about this.
but what else you got?
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Duck24 wrote:Hopefully you worked out over winter break because as the message board MD's taught us this week, rhabdo is caused by being lazy over winter break.
I know you're just joking around, but I figure what good is the internet without people learning something. All these board MD's know more about something they didn't a week ago. I like to encourage learning and teaching myself.

PS. I must admit the internet is the perfect vehicle for delivering insults, so it's good for that too. :lol:
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

For those of you that are so appallled by these adults (not kids) being hospitalized because they worked out to hard. You should find another sport to watch. Because the constant and long term brain injuries/damage and body/joint abuse that Most player incurred is much much worse than a bout of crossfitters disease.
Sssshhhh, no pointing at the brain-injury elephant in the room!

That aside, rhabdo is pretty bad, and the reason most people here had never heard about it until yesterday is it's only really "known" among people who regularly push themselves that hard. And even among those folks, it's a big deal. People who suffer from rhabdo actually face a shockingly large chance of permanent kidney damage, which (in my opinion) transcends body aches, joint pain and even bone/ligament injuries.

In other words, rhabdo shouldn't be a problem that any of us (and especially not the players) need to worry about.

I'm going to keep watching football, but I'm going to expect our coaches in the weight room are every bit the experts as our coaches on the sidelines. That is an incredibly reasonable and dare I say "minimal" expectation.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

pezsez1 wrote:
Sssshhhh, no pointing at the brain-injury elephant in the room!

That aside, rhabdo is pretty bad, and the reason most people here had never heard about it until yesterday is it's only really "known" among people who regularly push themselves that hard. And even among those folks, it's a big deal. People who suffer from rhabdo actually face a shockingly large chance of permanent kidney damage, which (in my opinion) transcends body aches, joint pain and even bone/ligament injuries.

In other words, rhabdo shouldn't be a problem that any of us (and especially not the players) need to worry about.

I'm going to keep watching football, but I'm going to expect our coaches in the weight room are every bit the experts as our coaches on the sidelines. That is an incredibly reasonable and dare I say "minimal" expectation.
I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of rhabdo, but in this chosen sport/profession there are some very serious inherent risks. Though rare rhabdo is one of them. Just like every other injury the important thing is the quick diagnosis and treatment for the player then learn and try to avoid it in the future. However it is relative to the individual which makes it impossible for the coach alone to prevent. The players need to be responsible to themselves as well.

Like it's well known you are a runner and probably in decent shape, however I could get rhabdo from walking to the fridge. We know these things about ourselves so we know how hard to push.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

What isn't getting mentioned is the length of hospitalization. Brenner has been released but McCormick and Poutasi were still there as of yesterday. Although I'm sure the University is being extremely cautious a 4-5 day hospital stay indicates fairly serious problems.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

maxduck wrote:What isn't getting mentioned is the length of hospitalization. Brenner has been released but McCormick and Poutasi were still there as of yesterday. Although I'm sure the University is being extremely cautious a 4-5 day hospital stay indicates fairly serious problems.
That does seem lengthy for most hospital trips. It does say however that when caught early you should return to normal in a "few weeks" so it seems like it's something they nurse back slowly. Also just a guess but they may be different levels of rhabdo. Maybe Brenner wasn't as depleted?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

They've got to make sure their kidneys are functioning properly and that proteins are no longer flooding their bloodstream (which would cause the kidneys to struggle again) before they can be released from the hospital.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
louisky
One Star Recruit

Post by louisky »

from 2013
https://medium.com/@ericrobertson/cross ... .3j44ytrd9

heh. he says "psychotic football coach."
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Yikes, the players are probably on kidney dialysis. Hopefully the hospital stay helps their long-term recovery from anything permanent or long-lasting.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

brich75 wrote:
maxduck wrote:What isn't getting mentioned is the length of hospitalization. Brenner has been released but McCormick and Poutasi were still there as of yesterday. Although I'm sure the University is being extremely cautious a 4-5 day hospital stay indicates fairly serious problems.
That does seem lengthy for most hospital trips. It does say however that when caught early you should return to normal in a "few weeks" so it seems like it's something they nurse back slowly. Also just a guess but they may be different levels of rhabdo. Maybe Brenner wasn't as depleted?
It's not an issue of any type of depletion. The muscles were so overworked, they started breaking down and proteins entering the bloodstream which is brutal on your kidneys. They have been given saline IV's and it's even possible blood transfusions as an attempt to 'dilute' the proteins and make it easier on the kidneys. The fact that they have been hospitalized for this long absolutely tells you how serious the issue can be. Birthing women spend less time in the hospital than these guys.

How do I know all of this? I had to piss on a testing stick to check the protein levels in my urine once a day for the first 13 years of my life due to kidney issues.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

5$ wrote:Yikes, the players are probably on kidney dialysis. Hopefully the hospital stay helps their long-term recovery from anything permanent or long-lasting.
Dialysis!??? Quite the guess and rumor starter, :shock: