Any else cautiously optimistic?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

jimmy12
Senior

Re: Any else cautiously optimistic?

Post by jimmy12 »

Gone are the days when our scheme destroyed teams. Now the Ducks will need to recruit better athletes than their opponents and compete at a higher level. I think Taggart will get them to 7-8 wins and you will be drastic improvement on D. (but not elite D)
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

Something interesting to note. In Taggart's contract there is a bonus for getting just 6 wins in his first year. Makes me think twice about how many wins we get. Honestly, how many teams are 90%+ locks? Our opener?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duxforlyfe wrote:Something interesting to note. In Taggart's contract there is a bonus for getting just 6 wins in his first year. Makes me think twice about how many wins we get. Honestly, how many teams are 90%+ locks? Our opener?
Most coaches that take over a program as a coach (or OC/DC), it generally takes 2 or 3 seasons to get things rolling. Look at Taggart and Leavitt's tenures at USF/Colorado. But the big difference is neither of those schools had talent by the time they took over. So I think it's a little more reasonable for us to be setting 8 wins as the standard.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

duxforlyfe wrote:Something interesting to note. In Taggart's contract there is a bonus for getting just 6 wins in his first year. Makes me think twice about how many wins we get. Honestly, how many teams are 90%+ locks? Our opener?
I suspect the 6 wins is tied being bowl eligible. Makes sense.
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

UofDuck wrote:
Yeah you're probably right. I just don't want to get to lofty of expectations, should be a fun ride.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

8 wins is the number. I think there will be some growing pains. Takes time to install and perfect new schemes on both sides of the ball. And we have to avoid injuries. Wherever we finish, the new coaches get a pass this year so long as the players are fighting hard and doing the little things right. I won't even be that pissed with 6 wins so long as we don't look the debacle of last year's team. That was not a very good team. I don't know how some of you folks can say we were way better than a 4 win team. We're losing to Colorado, WSU, Cal, and Oregon State now. We were at the basement of the PAC 12 in a crappy year for the conference. We sucked.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

duxforlyfe wrote:
UofDuck wrote:
Yeah you're probably right. I just don't want to get to lofty of expectations, should be a fun ride.
Until last year we had won 9 games or more for a decade straight. Is saying we could win 8 games really "lofty expectations?"
Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Post by Duck4Ever »

I think we're looking at 9 wins minimum.
Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Post by Duck4Ever »

GrandpaDuck wrote:10-3 / 9-4 keeps my pitch fork in its holster.

Defenses are regularly turned around rapidly, particularly when the biggest issue was an obsolete scheme that has failed repeatedly and consistently in this conference. I am very optimistic ppg can be brought under 30. Heck, Coach Pepsi will have more 4 stars in his 3 deep than he has had in total at CU and USF.

I have more concerns about the offensive coaches modifying the Gulf Coast from a QB running offense to a more balanced offensive. Defenses will play it vastly different with Herbert behind center than they did facing a 1500 yard rusher as a QB. Coaches will need to adapt, but until they prove they cant I'll be optimistic.
I wouldn't be concerned about this at all. Obviously, they're modyfing the offense to Herbert and the talent around him. Herbert is also a way better passer than Quinton Flowers, and a decent scrambler. The whole offense was dependent on Flowers because he was their best option. That kind of system works even better when you have big time weapons and your QB doesn't have to make almost everything happen.

All of the Oregon running backs have much more talent than any of the USF backs from last season. Same with the receiver and tight end positions. Just watch their bowl game against the Gamecocks and you will see this. USF has nothing close to a Rolls Royce, Taj Griffin, TBJ, Carrington, Dillon Mitchell, etc.