Re: Fall Camp Updates

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

A friend mentioned to me tonight that one of his long-time best friends, who passed away recently in a swimming accident, was Apelu's step dad. My buddy hadn't made the connection until he saw Apelu's mom in the video. Just makes Apelu even easier to root for knowing what he's had to deal with before getting to this point. Hope he tears its up.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

cordy02c wrote:Like Moseley's practice report said Johnny Johnson is a beast.Don't understand how he was a two star
So what is his perceived weakness that prevented him from being more highly recruited? Does he lack ideal speed or something?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

gogreen55 wrote:
cordy02c wrote:Like Moseley's practice report said Johnny Johnson is a beast.Don't understand how he was a two star
So what is his perceived weakness that prevented him from being more highly recruited? Does he lack ideal speed or something?
Yes, but that's about it. Great hands, body control, build, route running, etc.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

gogreen55 wrote:
I've wondered about that. He ran a 4.58 40 at the Opening regional which is plenty fast, and checked in at a cut 6'0, 190, which passes the eye test. He played for the best team in Arizona. He had 5 catches for 179 yards against powerhouse Centennial (CA) while mostly being covered by UCLA-signee Jaylan Shaw. He's got great hands.

Best thing I can come up with is that he was on a team with Kolby Taylor (OSU signee) and Gunner Romney (a very good WR in '18), so he simply didn't stand out in the crowd. That sometimes happens, where guys get overshadowed by teammates or lost in a crowd because they don't do something exceptional. Most of us would agree that an 'Oregon caliber' player would, at minimum, be the best WR on his high school team. In Johnson's junior year, he was 3rd on his high school team in receiving yards, and his senior year he was 2nd because the aforementioned Taylor got hurt preseason.

That's the best I can offer. I don't think he's the next Josh Huff, but I do think he'll be very solid for Oregon.
New Duck
One Star Recruit

Post by New Duck »

Also have to keep in mind his exposure got a late start with having his Jr season be his first in a highly recruited area. That season he walked into a program with no expectations due to being new and being behind Kolby (as stated) but also behind the number one WR in the country N'Keal. In Sr season once Kolby was unable to play teams started rolling saftey over the top (after Centennial game) and bracketed him on many plays leaving the very talanted Gunner on the other side in single coverage where his size speed combo was almost unstoppable. Because of his build johnny was also utilized many times to play h-back/te to lead block for TJ Green leaving him out of routes on play action.

Many factors can be attributed to where he is now and how the process played out. I don't think Duck fans will be disappointed. Saw an interview before Sr season where a couple of his personal goals was 10 pancake blocks and zero drops for the season. My favorite part of his game, the desire to be great in all aspectseven the the things that dont show up in the box score.....well and of course those hands and body control Saw on social media he spent all summer working speed. Cant wait to see how it shows come game time.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

New Duck wrote:Also have to keep in mind his exposure got a late start with having his Jr season be his first in a highly recruited area. That season he walked into a program with no expectations due to being new and being behind Kolby (as stated) but also behind the number one WR in the country N'Keal. In Sr season once Kolby was unable to play teams started rolling saftey over the top (after Centennial game) and bracketed him on many plays leaving the very talanted Gunner on the other side in single coverage where his size speed combo was almost unstoppable. Because of his build johnny was also utilized many times to play h-back/te to lead block for TJ Green leaving him out of routes on play action.

Many factors can be attributed to where he is now and how the process played out. I don't think Duck fans will be disappointed. Saw an interview before Sr season where a couple of his personal goals was 10 pancake blocks and zero drops for the season. My favorite part of his game, the desire to be great in all aspectseven the the things that dont show up in the box score.....well and of course those hands and body control Saw on social media he spent all summer working speed. Cant wait to see how it shows come game time.
Appreciate the added color.
New Duck
One Star Recruit

Post by New Duck »

I have been lurking for months....finally decided to take the plunge. Seems a pretty friendly place.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

New Duck wrote:I have been lurking for months....finally decided to take the plunge. Seems a pretty friendly place.
Haha. I did the same a year and a half or so ago. It's a solid board with, I think, mostly older duck fans but a few younger ones that are really into recruiting.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Moseley had an interesting comment on Twitter, that Taggart said he was not going to utilize a scout team as often and go more 1's on 1's during the season.

Does this mean the 1's will also have to learn scout? Seemed a bit confusing.

The one thing about this longer camp is it's making me even more anxious for the games!

Excited about the offseason and the positvity of the staff. Now we'll see if WT and staff can XO/Gameplan/Teach with the big boys.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:
New Duck wrote:I have been lurking for months....finally decided to take the plunge. Seems a pretty friendly place.
Haha. I did the same a year and a half or so ago. It's a solid board with, I think, mostly older duck fans but a few younger ones that are really into recruiting.
Lots of fantastic insights on the Ducks here as well as some inside knowledge, I very much enjoy this board and it's level of maturity. BTW, great info on Johnny Johnson, thanks to both of you!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrantDuck wrote:Moseley had an interesting comment on Twitter, that Taggart said he was not going to utilize a scout team as often and go more 1's on 1's during the season.

Does this mean the 1's will also have to learn scout? Seemed a bit confusing.

The one thing about this longer camp is it's making me even more anxious for the games!

Excited about the offseason and the positvity of the staff. Now we'll see if WT and staff can XO/Gameplan/Teach with the big boys.
That's a good question. Seems weird for the 1's defense to learn how the opponents defense plays just to help the offensive 1's cause.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

New Duck wrote:Saw an interview before Sr season where a couple of his personal goals was 10 pancake blocks and zero drops for the season. My favorite part of his game, the desire to be great in all aspectseven the the things that dont show up in the box score.....well and of course those hands and body control Saw on social media he spent all summer working speed. Cant wait to see how it shows come game time.
Nice! Sounds like the perfect attitude for a complementary receiver.
New Duck
One Star Recruit

Post by New Duck »

gogreen55 wrote:
New Duck wrote:Saw an interview before Sr season where a couple of his personal goals was 10 pancake blocks and zero drops for the season. My favorite part of his game, the desire to be great in all aspectseven the the things that dont show up in the box score.....well and of course those hands and body control Saw on social media he spent all summer working speed. Cant wait to see how it shows come game time.
Nice! Sounds like the perfect attitude for a complementary receiver.
Even better if that complimentary player at any position can eventually turn into a leader and/or star and still has that same mentality.

This years team already seems to have way more of that mentality than previous just from the leadership of the Coaching staff....once it filters through the whole program then Oregon will be back at the top consistently again. Of course this opinion is just from reading the practice reports and listening to the interviews.

Should have never fallen this far in the first place.