Southern Utah @ Oregon (Sept 2, Sat 5:15 PM Pac-12 Net)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Southern Utah @ Oregon (Sept 2, Sat 5:15 PM Pac-12 Net)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

GrantDuck wrote:That was fun again.

There's a few glaring issues on defense and at WR, but overall..that was fun again and that's great for today.

8-)
I thought for the most part the WR's played great! They made some good catches. No noticeable drops too. I was mostly impressed with Breeland though, he reminds me of David Paulson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Yeah, I didn't notice anything that glaringly alarming about the receivers. I was surprised they didn't target Dillon Mitchell more, but maybe he was drawing extra attention, or maybe they are keeping him a bit under wraps for Nebraska. Who knows. Overall, it seemed like a pretty solid day for the receivers though.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Get the feeling they used enough of the passing game to keep SUU honest and not just gang up on the run game but the entire offensive gameplan was intentionally vanilla to not give Nebraska a lot of film.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:

There's a few glaring issues on defense and at WR, but overall..that was fun again and that's great for today.

8-)
I thought for the most part the WR's played great! They made some good catches. No noticeable drops too. I was mostly impressed with Breeland though, he reminds me of David Paulson.

Breeland is a stud. The WR's are undersized and just OK, IMO. Nelson is a great "slot" type guy, but the outside guys didn't impress much. Time will tell. Defensively the D-line got it's butt whooped a few times early, but the bigger issue was actually safety play against the run. We'd get an initial push and then a safety ran into the wrong gap or didn't cover deep, etc. I thought Billy Gibson looked like a hell of an athlete though who was ready to stick someone and did.

Tons of positives though. A coherent defensive philosophy with people on the same page being #1 for me. A really cool diverse offense that includes downhill running.

That freakin' play by Hotchkins smacking the WR and Dye cleaning up...we haven't seen that since the Azz days. Wonderful.

Oh and Troy Dye ...could be our best LBer in a long long time as far as career goes. Think he'll be up there with Mike Clay.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

polyduck wrote:Glad to see that the D kept them under 100 total rushing yards for the game!
You could see that Coach Joe has made those guys buy into being tenacious in that front 3. They may be young in some cases and not perfect, but damn, they are going to play their asses off and it's not just talk.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrantDuck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

8-)

Breeland is a stud. The WR's are undersized and just OK, IMO. Nelson is a great "slot" type guy, but the outside guys didn't impress much. Time will tell. Defensively the D-line got it's butt whooped a few times early, but the bigger issue was actually safety play against the run. We'd get an initial push and then a safety ran into the wrong gap or didn't cover deep, etc. I thought Billy Gibson looked like a hell of an athlete though who was ready to stick someone and did.

Tons of positives though. A coherent defensive philosophy with people on the same page being #1 for me. A really cool diverse offense that includes downhill running.

That freakin' play by Hotchkins smacking the WR and Dye cleaning up...we haven't seen that since the Azz days. Wonderful.

Oh and Troy Dye ...could be our best LBer in a long long time as far as career goes. Think he'll be up there with Mike Clay.
The WR on the outside were 6ft, 6'1, 6'2 and 6'1. They aren't Stanford tall, but they aren't undersized really.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

And add in Pagano and Young on the D-Line and we might really see a big push.
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

I was really critical of the Taggart signing, mainly because I was lead to expect that Chip Kelly was returning, and I felt this hire was politically motivated in this era of everything being politically motivated. Nonetheless, I have no problem admitting I was wrong to be so critical of Taggart. Taggart has given me very much reason to be hopeful going forward. His staff, even those who weren't heralded like Woodie and Pimpleton, all seem to bring an energy and a passion that was lacking. I'm really impressed with Arroyo especially. Despite some penalties(in all honesty, the PIs were like that one guy in pickup games who calls a foul every time there is even the slightest of contact) and James' fumbles, I thought all units looked completely focused, determined, and energetic. Barring some major injuries, like Herbert for example, I think this team has the potential to win the conference and play for it all. I was waiting to see the team play before going all in on Taggart, and even thought it's just one game, it gave me many reassurances that Willie has what it takes and knows how to win on the field. The team looked night and day compared to last season. The defense will only get better as new players and depth return. I'm pretty much sold on this team and think it will turn out far better than many predicted.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

OregonFan4Life wrote:There's no way this USC WMU game ends in time, glad I have the PAC-12 app! I really don't understand why there is only a 3 hour time slot for game, that never happens.

Insert spot-on derogatory Pac-12 Network comment here.------------->
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

nogerO wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:There's no way this USC WMU game ends in time, glad I have the PAC-12 app! I really don't understand why there is only a 3 hour time slot for game, that never happens.

Lol, I did last night! I think I missed the first six minutes of the game. If the PAC 12 network would run a split screen on over lapping games it would be better than nothing. Another point is they have a PAC 12 network LA and Arizona....... huh?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Wife and I went on a 300 mile ride on our motorcycle yesterday. I got home and turned on the game and it was halftime and it was 42-21!?!?!? Naturally I was confused about what to think about that score. But I was very pleased with the second half. Defense pitches a shutout and the offense was pretty much unstoppable. I was very happy to see the first team in there for a long time. Willie was giving them a chance to work on their play in a real game. That was great. The biggest plus I saw was there are going to be some very teachable moments in the videos and the mistakes I saw for the most part were made by being aggressive. This team is better than I expected (yeah I'm the dummy who predicted a 28-17 win) and I love the attitude. Going to watch the first half tonight. I think we could go 3-0 to start the season based on what transpired yesterday in the three games I was paying attention to (Oregon, Nebraska and Wy O ming). GO DUCKS!!!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Alan wrote:
nogerO wrote:

Lol, I did last night! I think I missed the first six minutes of the game. If the PAC 12 network would run a split screen on over lapping games it would be better than nothing. Another point is they have a PAC 12 network LA and Arizona....... huh?
I know on Comcast here in Portland, when the games go long and an Oregon based team game starts, they have the Oregon based game on Pac-12 Oregon which is a non HD channel, I believe channel 420. I missed the game so not sure if they did that but in the past, I've watched the early minutes of Ducks games on standard definition on that channel. Nothing like 6 minutes of standard definition football makes you appreciate HD.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I also felt bad for Arizona fans, they missed the entire first quarter of their game! But I find it weird my comcast package has the PAC-12 network but doesn't have PAC-12 Oregon. I wonder how much it costs. Maybe the 3 hour time slot is a scheme from the PAC-12 network to get fans to pay more for their team's additional PAC-12 channel.

GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think we beat Nebraska... but it will be a very hard fought game. Can not think we go undefeated or even win the conference after just one game. This was a division 2 school. We should have won by a large margin and we did. I am cautiously optimistic. I saw our defense play with more heart and enthusiasm than we seen the last few years. There is a lot of teachable lessons in this game. The penalties uggg the penalties... am sure that will be a huge discussion during the week, Taggart has talked about the fact this is not a good enough team to be able to consistently overcome penalties. It needs to be addressed and corrected. I still think we go 8-4 or 7-5 but could also see us going 10-2. We have a minimum of 2 losses. No way we only lose 1 game. I would hate to guess how many first downs Southern Utah got because of penalties against Oregon. Absolutely can not do that against any teams that contend for the Pac 12 title if want to win the Pac 12 title. Some of the penalties were questionable... others were not. The running into the kicker on 4th down and less than 5 resulted in a first down. That against a really good team will kill us. You take a possession away from own team while giving the ball back to a team had stopped. Penalties have to be corrected. They were near the bottom in all of division 1 in penalties last year. Looks like will be again this year if do not fix it.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Did we sellout yesterday?