Oregon @ Wyoming (Sept. 16, Sat 4 PM CBS Sports Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Re: Oregon @ Wyoming (Sept. 16, Sat 4 PM CBS Sports Network)

Post by Duck4Ever »

karlhungis wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Before the season started I predicted a loss for this game, since then I'm changing it to a win and also predicting Oregon will go 8-4 rather than 7-5, but still really scared about this game. I know they're running offense is really bad, but that passing offense scares me. Hopefully Springs and Graham step up and the front 7 put Josh Allen on his back a lot. GO DUCKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've only watched Wyoming play Iowa but based off of that game, Nebraska had a much more potent offense than Wyoming does. Wyoming has a better QB but the surrounding pieces on Nebraska are vastly superior. What concerns me more is the Wyoming defense. They are the number 3 defense against the pass and really appear to play very sound football. I think Oregon fans are going to be frustrated with our offense again after this game.
C'mon we all know their defensive ranking means nothing. Look at who they've played.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Duck4Ever wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Before the season started I predicted a loss for this game, since then I'm changing it to a win and also predicting Oregon will go 8-4 rather than 7-5, but still really scared about this game. I know they're running offense is really bad, but that passing offense scares me. Hopefully Springs and Graham step up and the front 7 put Josh Allen on his back a lot. GO DUCKS!

I've only watched Wyoming play Iowa but based off of that game, Nebraska had a much more potent offense than Wyoming does. Wyoming has a better QB but the surrounding pieces on Nebraska are vastly superior. What concerns me more is the Wyoming defense. They are the number 3 defense against the pass and really appear to play very sound football. I think Oregon fans are going to be frustrated with our offense again after this game.
C'mon we all know their defensive ranking means nothing. Look at who they've played.
Have you watched them play? They play hard and are well coached. I think Oregon fans are expecting us to roll in there and just steam roll them on offense. All I'm saying is I don't think our offense will have an easy time moving the ball. I'm not saying we will lose, just that they will make it more difficult than people will expect.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

karlhungis wrote:
Duck4Ever wrote:
karlhungis wrote:

Have you watched them play? They play hard and are well coached. I think Oregon fans are expecting us to roll in there and just steam roll them on offense. All I'm saying is I don't think our offense will have an easy time moving the ball. I'm not saying we will lose, just that they will make it more difficult than people will expect.
I mean, you're the one that brought up the defensive ranking - I think it's fair to bring up the competition they faced. If you want to switch to the eye test now, that's fine, but I think it's still too small of a sample size and pretty subjective.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

dphi wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
Duck4Ever wrote:
karlhungis wrote:

I mean, you're the one that brought up the defensive ranking - I think it's fair to bring up the competition they faced. If you want to switch to the eye test now, that's fine, but I think it's still too small of a sample size and pretty subjective.
Iowa is a decent team and they did okay against them defensively. Yes, it's a small sample size and all pre game speculation is pretty subjective. Just trying to have a conversation based on what I've seen. You haven't even taken a stance, you are just disagreeing with me. How do you see the game unfolding?
OregonFan4life -
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

I don't see Wyoming putting up much of a fight defensively - I just don't see their defensive line being powerful or talented enough to make an impact.

Didn't mean to offend or anything, just that you seemed to use defensive ranking to justify your concerns but retreated it from it when their opponents were brought up. Defensive ranking means nothing going into week 3.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

dphi wrote:I don't see Wyoming putting up much of a fight defensively - I just don't see their defensive line being powerful or talented enough to make an impact.

Didn't mean to offend or anything, just that you seemed to use defensive ranking to justify your concerns but retreated it from it when their opponents were brought up. Defensive ranking means nothing going into week 3.
People are frustrated with our team for only scoring 45 against Nebraska. If you think Wyoming won't put up much of a fight on defense, how many points do you think we will score?
OregonFan4life -
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

New coaching staff, game is on the road, high altitude and a lackluster second half the last game. Take your pick as to why this game may be tougher than they think in Vegas. I didn't think Oregon would cover the spread against Nebraska and I don't think they will cover the spread against Wyoming. I think they win but only by 4 or 6 and not by double digits.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

Good question, much harder to answer after the play calling differences between weeks 1 and 2. I think Willie will still let off a bit in the second half, but Wyoming won't have the depth to take advantage. If I had to make a guess on the score, I'd say something like 52-17 or thereabouts.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

dphi wrote:Good question, much harder to answer after the play calling differences between weeks 1 and 2. I think Willie will still let off a bit in the second half, but Wyoming won't have the depth to take advantage. If I had to make a guess on the score, I'd say something like 52-17 or thereabouts.
I would certainly be happy with that score. I'm thinking it will be closer to 38 - 28. Either way, it will be fun to watch.
OregonFan4life -
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

If Oregon outscores Wyoming by 35 points they will pass Wyoming in the points per game defensive statistic so that is my hope.

Also I think this is the best chance the team has for a shutout the rest of the season which would bring Oregon's points per game down to 20 going into pac-12 play. Shutout is unlikely and I am not predicting one but it would be nice to get one someday so wishing upon a star for that.

I do think Wyoming has a very good coach who really exploited attempts to blitz them when Oregon played them before. Seemed like every TD they made was against a blitz.
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

karlhungis wrote:
dphi wrote:Good question, much harder to answer after the play calling differences between weeks 1 and 2. I think Willie will still let off a bit in the second half, but Wyoming won't have the depth to take advantage. If I had to make a guess on the score, I'd say something like 52-17 or thereabouts.
Either way, it will be fun to watch.
Absolutely! Not stoked about the network it's on but at least it's not a 7pm game.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
I do think Wyoming has a very good coach who really exploited attempts to blitz them when Oregon played them before. Seemed like every TD they made was against a blitz.
They struggled with the blitz against Iowa. I think we will be more successful with the blitz this time around.
OregonFan4life -
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Game will be close.

Those expecting a blowout will be disappointed.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

If anyone was curious, Wyoming and Oregon had two common opponents last year:

Oregon vs UC Davis - W 53-28 (week 1)
Wyoming vs UC Davis - W 45-22 (week 3)

Oregon @ Nebraska - L 32-35 (week 3)
Wyoming @ Nebraska - L 17-52 (week 2)
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

karlhungis wrote:
dphi wrote:I don't see Wyoming putting up much of a fight defensively - I just don't see their defensive line being powerful or talented enough to make an impact.

People are frustrated with our team for only scoring 45 against Nebraska. If you think Wyoming won't put up much of a fight on defense, how many points do you think we will score?
Iowa on there best day isn't half the O we have.

Fwiw Iowa average 351 yds a game last year. I don't see how anyone can compare what they did vs UW to what our O will do to them.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.