Cal @ Oregon Game Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

uodux1212
Senior

Re: Cal @ Oregon Game Thread

Post by uodux1212 »

If we end up having to play catch up, without a proven passing game it could get real ugly, real fast. Lets hope not!

GO DUCKS!

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Ok, I was going to post this giant Pac 10 recap of the weekend but I decided to go drink beer instead. :P

Lets look at the stats for a minute. Best scored 5 TD's on 131 yards. LMJ had more yardage. Of all those "yards" Best put up, only 18 came in the second half of the game! Once Minnesota keyed on Best, they shut him down completely. Riley is having major issues passing down field. Of all the throws he made, only 4 were complete past 10 yards. He is dumping the short ball because his accuracy is way off just like Masoli. To those that say Vereen is a threat, he had a total of 27 yards on Saturday. As a team Cal is averaging 3.7 yards on the ground per game. Best is at 5.0 and Vereen is 3.4. This is a VERY beatable team and is highly over rated in my opinion. Oregon is playing the best defense I have ever seen them play despite Allioti. Maybe he finally has the talent he needed to make his schemes effective?

No matter what Vegas or the media is saying, this is a huge trap game for Cal. Oregon has the defensive pop to expose Cal's offense. They are a one trick pony. Run Best this way, run Best that way. Cal can explode but only if Best carries the team. I honestly think the Oregon D will put a smack down on Best and force Riley to throw which is where Boyett and WTIII come into play. Defense will win this game and all we need from Masoli is a solid passing effort. Something around 10-12 for 18-20 and no interceptions and Oregon will put this game away. I am calling it now. Oregon 24 - Cal 18.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
rcook
Two Star Recruit

Post by rcook »

Ducks defense should give us a chance to win, based on their performance so far this year, I don't think Cal will put up the same amount of points they have vs prior (and very different) opposition so far this season.

Our offense may turn around this week, it seems to operate like a lightswitch (on or off) and clearly we need to make some adjustments to return to the "on" format we have been spoiled with in the last few recent years.

If we can score somewhere in the 35 points or more range, I think our chances are far better than they may appear.

Does not like war, fwiw
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

echo31 wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:The last 3 times we've played Cal, we didn't get 1 ounce of pressure on them.

The would fake the handoff, and just sit back there for 5 minutes and deliver a TD to Jackson
Jackson wasn't there last year, and I can remember Riley having to move around in the pocket quite a bit last year ... we even knocked him out of the game when he was flushed from the pocket and decided to run.

Both Riley and Longshore were 21-39 226yards 2TD's and no picks. They still managed to pull off those kind of stats even in the puddles of rain.

While Oregon(Masoli) pulled off 7-21 passing for 44yards 0 TD's and 2 picks.

Ya they did amazing for the conditions they were in.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I think the D is playing at a level that if the Offense can just avoid TOs & score 30-35 points, we win. Cal is incredibley overrated at this point and the Ducks are very underrated, IMO. Stop Best, play balanced on Offense & we win.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I think the D is playing at a level that if the Offense can just avoid TOs & score 30-35 points, we win. Cal is incredibley overrated at this point and the Ducks are very underrated, IMO. Stop Best, play balanced on Offense & we win.
and no Turnover on offense
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I think the D is playing at a level that if the Offense can just avoid TOs & score 30-35 points, we win.
Yeah, not turning the ball over and scoring 30-35 points is a recipe for success most games. That same recipe would very likely result in the Ducks beating USC as well. The hard part is actually being able to score 30-35 points with no turnovers against the very good defenses like those fielded by Cal and USC. Even the high powered Oregon offense led by Dixon during his senior season wasn't able to break the 30 point barrier against either Cal or USC, and the Ducks turned the ball over plenty.

If the Ducks were to score 30+ points with 1 or fewer turnovers against Cal, that would be a major accomplishment for this struggling offense. Having a couple of easy scores set up by turnovers or big special teams plays would certainly make that task a lot easier.
rcook
Two Star Recruit

Post by rcook »

VinnyKnuckles wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I think the D is playing at a level that if the Offense can just avoid TOs & score 30-35 points, we win.
Yeah, not turning the ball over and scoring 30-35 points is a recipe for success most games. That same recipe would very likely result in the Ducks beating USC as well. The hard part is actually being able to score 30-35 points with no turnovers against the very good defenses like those fielded by Cal and USC. Even the high powered Oregon offense led by Dixon during his senior season wasn't able to break the 30 point barrier against either Cal or USC, and the Ducks turned the ball over plenty.

If the Ducks were to score 30+ points with 1 or fewer turnovers against Cal, that would be a major accomplishment for this struggling offense. Having a couple of easy scores set up by turnovers or big special teams plays would certainly make that task a lot easier

SPOT ON ANALYSIS..

I still think winning is a legit possibility if we can figure out how to pass well + 1 special teams or defensive score.. No passing and we're likely doomed. Crossing fingers FTW

Does not like war, fwiw
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

Sporting News take on the Oregon/Cal game. Are they watching the same offense that we are watching? The only aspect that I can currently agree on is the "unpredictable" part. Anyways, GO DUCKS!

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingn ... o=CGI#pg14

It has been six years since cal beat USC and began its rise into the upper level of the Pac-10.The Bears are a week away from another momentous game in Berkeleyagainst the Trojans, but I'm here to tell you this week at Oregon is the bigger game for a few reasons.

Oregon is playing better than USC.
Oregon's offense is more multiple, has more weapons and isn't predictable.
Autzen Stadium is the hardest place to play in the Pac 10.
Cal QB Kevin Riley hasn't proven he can play well on the road in key league games.

Notice the plane that we flew on?
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

Add one more
Historically, Cal has not handled the top dog position very well.
(They have been pretty much one week wonders)

I am heavily biased in that turnovers are the key here. They actually have been the teams pivotal achilles heel, (i,e, Colvins fumble, and the fumbled punt). Eliminate them and this team will keep it close. (I sense that our defense is much better than credited, and feel they will keep us in this game).

To win requires the offense overall to take a giant step forward, Masoli, O-line and receivers.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

i like the fact that we are underdog against Cal :D :D
monster
Four Star Recruit

Post by monster »

Last time we were an underdog ...

Well, win or lose, I'm happy so long as no one gets KO'd.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

monster wrote:Last time we were an underdog ...

Well, win or lose, I'm happy so long as no one gets KO'd.
Then just hope no Cal player tries to talk smack to one of our big guys...
monster
Four Star Recruit

Post by monster »

Pretty sure something like that is going to happen, though
monster
Four Star Recruit

Post by monster »

On news that Best is nursing a bit of a sore foot, this from a Cal fan elsewhere:
As for Best, I’ve had a concern the past few games that he has been injured and they are covering for him. Ever since he was wincing in the Maryland game, it has been suspicious. Did anyone else notice in the Minnesota game that he would not jump up to chest bounce Shane, as he usually does? JO telling of his foot sure fits what I am seeing. He also seems a step slower than full speed for him.

I sure hope my fears are wrong, but I fear he is at about 80% and that is why his cuts aren’t as sharp. His long runs have been pretty straight ahead runs.
Worth remembering that Best also missed a couple more practices than average during camp. I've thought for awhile that he's not 100%. Problem is that stopping him when he's at 90-or-95% isn't much easier.