Play calling sucked.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Play calling sucked.

Post by karlhungis »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I truly believe he will never be a legit starting P5 conference and the more I see him play the more confident I am in that assessment. He just does not learn and simply doesn't understand how football works at this level.
I understand that feeling. At the same time, I worry that the coaches have been unable to coach him up at all so far. I don't know if it is a Burmeister issue, a coaching issue or both. It feels like we haven't seen any QB development in this program for years now.
He shouldn't need a coach to tell him "Hey that deep sideline pass isn't the best idea", he should know after seeing it fail to work over and over and over again that it isn't a good idea. At least Alie seemed to get better as the game went on against Cal, can't say the same about Braxton. Heck you could argue the opposite actually. But I don't see any aspect of Braxton that is coachable when he continues to make such awful decisions.
At the same time, you would think a coach could you know, coach that out of him. I just hope that they are trying and that the shortcoming is on Burmeisters end.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

karlhungis wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I truly believe he will never be a legit starting P5 conference and the more I see him play the more confident I am in that assessment. He just does not learn and simply doesn't understand how football works at this level.
I understand that feeling. At the same time, I worry that the coaches have been unable to coach him up at all so far. I don't know if it is a Burmeister issue, a coaching issue or both. It feels like we haven't seen any QB development in this program for years now.
He shouldn't need a coach to tell him "Hey that deep sideline pass isn't the best idea", he should know after seeing it fail to work over and over and over again that it isn't a good idea. At least Alie seemed to get better as the game went on against Cal, can't say the same about Braxton. Heck you could argue the opposite actually. But I don't see any aspect of Braxton that is coachable when he continues to make such awful decisions.
At the same time, you would think a coach could you know, coach that out of him. I just hope that they are trying and that the shortcoming is on Burmeisters end.
Well considering our coaching staff from last season, your worries definitely are reasonable and I understand. I just personally have a hard time imaging this coaching staff not trying to coach that out of him, but who knows, you very well could be right.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Kinda wish Royce wouldn't have kept getting tired after 3 or 4 solid runs. I felt like we could have pounded it with him a lot of the 2nd half. He was killing it.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Kinda wish Royce wouldn't have kept getting tired after 3 or 4 solid runs. I felt like we could have pounded it with him a lot of the 2nd half. He was killing it.
Seems like the coaching staff is more concerned about cementing Royce's legacy than properly rotating backs at times. I understand that was probably part of the pitch to get Royce to return but man, with our stable of backs we could really wear teams down like the old thunder and lightning days.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

karlhungis wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Kinda wish Royce wouldn't have kept getting tired after 3 or 4 solid runs. I felt like we could have pounded it with him a lot of the 2nd half. He was killing it.
Seems like the coaching staff is more concerned about cementing Royce's legacy than properly rotating backs at times. I understand that was probably part of the pitch to get Royce to return but man, with our stable of backs we could really wear teams down like the old thunder and lightning days.
For sure, but against UCLA, Royce was starting to run downhill as the game went on and on. But apparently he's battling some injuries so makes sense why he came out as frequently as he did.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
Honestly throwing the Go route outside is one of the better decisions the coaches/BB have made in the passing game even if it feels like we're going to the well too much. It's a play that doesn't have to succeed to still have an effect on the defense and back 7 and while it's low-risk/high-reward, that play is all about getting the D to respect the fact that we will throw deep so back up or risk getting burnt. BB looked a lot better in the last game so can we please stop talking character issues about players who don't perform. It's clear players have limitations, leave it at that.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
Honestly throwing the Go route outside is one of the better decisions the coaches/BB have made in the passing game even if it feels like we're going to the well too much. It's a play that doesn't have to succeed to still have an effect on the defense and back 7 and while it's low-risk/high-reward, that play is all about getting the D to respect the fact that we will throw deep so back up or risk getting burnt. BB looked a lot better in the last game so can we please stop talking character issues about players who don't perform. It's clear players have limitations, leave it at that.
Huh? What defense would respect a pass that the QB cannot make? It's not like over time as Braxton continues to miss this pass we're seeing more safety help. Every time it's a one on one coverage where usually the WR has the CB beat at least a little bit and the pass goes over the WR's head. Any DC that would adjust to stop a play that clearly doesn't work should lose his job. Who knows, maybe it'll work one time a game, like when Mitchell almost made an amazing diving catch, but I'm pretty sure any DC is willing to take on the small risk that Braxton might complete this pass every once in a while.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
Huh? What defense would respect a pass that the QB cannot make? It's not like over time as Braxton continues to miss this pass we're seeing more safety help. Every time it's a one on one coverage where usually the WR has the CB beat at least a little bit and the pass goes over the WR's head. Any DC that would adjust to stop a play that clearly doesn't work should lose his job. Who knows, maybe it'll work one time a game, like when Mitchell almost made an amazing diving catch, but I'm pretty sure any DC is willing to take on the small risk that Braxton might complete this pass every once in a while.
The problem on a go route if Braxton completes one every once in awhile is they may be touchdowns or
long completions. This is why they throw them. D may have to commit a safety to help the cb which helps in
other passing routes or run plays.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
karlhungis wrote:

B.B. Throwing the go, is like a center shooting a 3. The D will let you shoot that all day, same with Braxton throwing deep
No team is going to worry about it
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
karlhungis wrote:

B.B. Throwing the go, is like a center shooting a 3. The D will let you shoot that all day, same with Braxton throwing deep
No team is going to worry about it
Exactly, couldn’t agree more. I actually thought of using the same example, but Shaq specifically. Even he made one three in his career! But nobody worried about his 3 point shooting. Defenses won’t worry about something the offense can’t perform, no matter how many times they try.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Huh? What defense would respect a pass that the QB cannot make? It's not like over time as Braxton continues to miss this pass we're seeing more safety help. Every time it's a one on one coverage where usually the WR has the CB beat at least a little bit and the pass goes over the WR's head. Any DC that would adjust to stop a play that clearly doesn't work should lose his job. Who knows, maybe it'll work one time a game, like when Mitchell almost made an amazing diving catch, but I'm pretty sure any DC is willing to take on the small risk that Braxton might complete this pass every once in a while.
In this instance, it's a forest from the trees issue.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

The deep ball is one of the easiest to throw for a young QB. Its something they have done since they were 6 years old and it is relatively safe and is sack proof. But throwing it to the wideouts does nothing, as noted, to move the safeties out of the box unless you complete it regularly.

You need to David Paulson them with post and seam patterns by the tight end. It's easier to complete as the sideline doesn't become a factor, it is a shorter throw geometrically, it always affects the safety and often both of them if they are playing strong and free. Also a nice tall TE can battle for a catch or knockdown if the throw ends up a jump ball.

Interestingly, this pass is already BB's best completion, why they don't go to it again and repeatedly instead of all those deep out of bounds balls is a mystery to me. If your trying to loosen the box make the safeties move. Send the slot up the other hash just for fun while your at it.

Free coaching advise worth every penny.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

GrandpaDuck wrote:The deep ball is one of the easiest to throw for a young QB. Its something they have done since they were 6 years old and it is relatively safe and is sack proof. But throwing it to the wideouts does nothing, as noted, to move the safeties out of the box unless you complete it regularly.

You need to David Paulson them with post and seam patterns by the tight end. It's easier to complete as the sideline doesn't become a factor, it is a shorter throw geometrically, it always affects the safety and often both of them if they are playing strong and free. Also a nice tall TE can battle for a catch or knockdown if the throw ends up a jump ball.

Interestingly, this pass is already BB's best completion, why they don't go to it again and repeatedly instead of all those deep out of bounds balls is a mystery to me. If your trying to loosen the box make the safeties move. Send the slot up the other hash just for fun while your at it.

I think the biggest thing to remember is that BB has to read the defense and find those things within the offense and playcalls. So that maybe there, but if he's not seeing it, not a lot more the coaches can do.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

GrandpaDuck wrote:The deep ball is one of the easiest to throw for a young QB. Its something they have done since they were 6 years old and it is relatively safe and is sack proof. But throwing it to the wideouts does nothing, as noted, to move the safeties out of the box unless you complete it regularly.

Good stuff.