PK80 Tournament Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: PK80 Tournament Thread

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^Pritchard seems to be the go to guy.

On the radio they said there like 57 fouls in a 40 minute game. Unreal. 3 of our starters fouled out. Again, UConn was better and thankfully they were poor at the line but jeez.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Phenom wrote:It concerns me that we don't seem to have a leader on the floor.
It's early and this is a young team. Hopefully one of these grad transfers step up.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phenom wrote:It concerns me that we don't seem to have a leader on the floor.
That is a problem, and exactly what mitigates the talent of this team. After the game one of the things that Altman pointed out was that the team "just wasn't in to it." That certainly was not a problem last year. Starting with the foul trouble and missing shots, the Ducks didn't galvanize and make it work.
Pritchard should be the leader, position wise as well as experience, but that didn't manifest last night. Everything went wrong for Troy Brown, so he couldn't take the lead. White seems like a steadying influence on the floor, but not one who can put the team on his back. I see the beginnings of an Elgin Cook in Macintyre, but not last night. So, the Ducks battled, played hard, but without direction, the paint belonged to UCONN, and ultimately the game.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Yeah, I think Payton should be the guy but I haven't seen it yet. He's too passive sometimes. Hopefully he grows into it. We need him.

Also, disappointed in Keith Smith. He just looks out of it and lacks confidence, especially on offense. It's super weird because he was a really crafty wing player in HS. He even played point. He's gonna get passed up by the younger players if he doesn't step it up.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I don't have thoughts on the game because the officiating ruined it. That wasn't basketball.

When is the NCAA rules committee going to realize that more regulation isn't going to fix anything? More offensive fouls in the key is exactly what the college game DIDN'T need. Now nearly extinct post-play will actually disappear. Not because of a natural evolution of the game either, but because of governing body regulation.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phenom wrote:Yeah, I think Payton should be the guy but I haven't seen it yet. He's too passive sometimes. Hopefully he grows into it. We need him.

Also, disappointed in Keith Smith. He just looks out of it and lacks confidence, especially on offense. It's super weird because he was a really crafty wing player in HS. He even played point. He's gonna get passed up by the younger players if he doesn't step it up.
Agree again. Last season Smith could be counted on to come in, and while probably not make great plays, would be steady, particularly on defense. Now he comes in and appears anxious.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Apparently the ref that was calling the majority of those fouls is our newest Pac-12 ref! AJ DeSai making his presence known early on in his inaugural debut as a Pac-12 ref. He looks like he will fit right in.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

droop10 wrote:Apparently the ref that was calling the majority of those fouls is our newest Pac-12 ref! AJ DeSai making his presence known early on in his inaugural debut as a Pac-12 ref. He looks like he will fit right in.
*vomits*

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^Pritchard seems to be the go to guy.

On the radio they said there like 57 fouls in a 40 minute game. Unreal. 3 of our starters fouled out. Again, UConn was better and thankfully they were poor at the line but jeez.
Nobody pays to watch the refs make call after call especially when at least a 1/3 of them were bordering on close to nothing. Frankly I don't know how good either team is with how that played out but had we managed to hit anything from outside we probably would have won.

We better come out and destroy DePaul or this will end up an ugly tournament for us.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Altman’s Oregon teams have always started out the season slow and looked raggedy at the times. By the time conference play starts and these guys have some games playing together under their belt, they’ll be a tough team to beat.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I too was expecting Prichard to be a leader this season and I haven’t seen it from him. He dribbles too much, is sloppy, dribbles right into double teams and turns the ball over. What made Brooks such a great leader was he knew when to score but he also knew when to pass and set someone else up. I didn’t see that at all from Prichard last night. This was the team’s first test and clearly they came out nervous and timid and were in their own heads all game long. The refs ruined the game, that was an atrocity and those refs literally should be fired, especially that brand new ref. It’s clear he’s a power hungry ref who wants to be noticed and wants to control the game, and he’s simply not fit to officiate basketball. But regardless, Oregon has many opportunities to win and instead played sloppy. Altman said it best when he said it was the first time they had pressure and they handled it very poorly.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I only watched the first half, but I can tell you why they lost. Piss poor defense. You can't let the other team drive all the way down the floor and into the paint to initiate their offense. Dribble has to be confronted above the 3 point arc. Easy shots and/or foul shots ensue. Piss poor. I'm sure Mr. DA with address it shortly. Offense begins with good defense. Pressure, pressure, pressure. That is all...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

The crowds for this tournament have been impressive. I wonder if they keep having it.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phenom wrote:The crowds for this tournament have been impressive. I wonder if they keep having it.
I've heard it called inaugural quite a few times. Could be brain farts from the announcers but this has been a premier tournament so far and if enough Nike schools want to be a part of it and it pencils out I'd like to see another one.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like Oklahoma won their game today so Oregon could potentially see them if they beat DePaul tonight.