Willie to FSU and who's going with him

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Willie to FSU rumors heating up

Post by greenyellow »

pezsez1 wrote:I wonder what Royce Freeman would think about Taggart bolting after one year? I have a feeling I'd agree with Royce.
I have a feeling the whole team would feel the same way.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

I believe Willie when he said he's not interested in the openings in Florida. I did not
believe Chip when he said he wasnt going anywhere then leaves the next day for the nfl.
Hope im wrong but i think he wants to prove himself here. And the better the ducks get the
better his pay will be. He has the resources here and up north with uncle Phil.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I would never be more upset with a Coach than if Willie left after 1 year.

Would be complete bush league, Kiffin level bullshit. The highest level of deception. It would cripple us for years to come.

I'll save the full rant if it happens, but for now I'll just say I think Willie stays and I want to continue to believe him when he's said he's committed to Oregon. He SEEMS like a genuine dude.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

brich75 wrote:Part of me just hopes he goes so we can get a good coach that wants to be here permanently and will devolope players. It's not that I don't like Willie I think he is great but I don't want to go through this every single year which we will.
It's kinda weird that 2 of the big 3 Florida positions opened in year 1...
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think the rumors will persist until he comes out and publicly tell FSU he is not interested and I fully committed to Oregon. It seems to me that any coach in that position needs to state it publicly to whatever school is pursuing them that they are not going anywhere. If I have any concern it is that Willie no publicly denied it to FSU.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck wrote:I would never be more upset with a Coach than if Willie left after 1 year.

Would be complete bush league, Kiffin level bullshit. The highest level of deception. It would cripple us for years to come.

I'll save the full rant if it happens, but for now I'll just say I think Willie stays and I want to continue to believe him when he's said he's committed to Oregon. He SEEMS like a genuine dude.
I feel the same way exactly. His seeming genuineness would be why it would hurt so much. That he could come to Oregon and immediately infuse such a positive culture, do so well in recruiting, ingratiate with the fans, "It was raining touchdowns"..and then leave, crippling said recruiting class, after one year would be deceitful.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

GrantDuck wrote:I would never be more upset with a Coach than if Willie left after 1 year.

That is simply not true. Agreed with the rest.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

From a money standpoint, FSU is going to win this battle. They could offer Willie $4.5M and Oregon would have to approach $5M to match because of state income taxes. Considering they’re paying Jimbo $5.7M, that would be a drop in the bucket for them. Let’s just hope Jimbo doesn’t bolt because Willie’s gone if FSU comes calling IMO. Better pay, the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, he’s from Florida. As someone said above, it’s nail biting time until Jimbo decides what he’s doing. Even then, does A&M come calling for Willie with their Brinks truck full of money if they don’t get Jimbo?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Duck24 wrote:From a money standpoint, FSU is going to win this battle. They could offer Willie $4.5M and Oregon would have to approach $5M to match because of state income taxes. Considering they’re paying Jimbo $5.7M, that would be a drop in the bucket for them. Let’s just hope Jimbo doesn’t bolt because Willie’s gone if FSU comes calling IMO. Better pay, the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, he’s from Florida. As someone said above, it’s nail biting time until Jimbo decides what he’s doing. Even then, does A&M come calling for Willie with their Brinks truck full of money if they don’t get Jimbo?
I don't think so. I think Willie would remind them too much of their previous coach...
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Duck24 wrote:From a money standpoint, FSU is going to win this battle. They could offer Willie $4.5M and Oregon would have to approach $5M to match because of state income taxes. Considering they’re paying Jimbo $5.7M, that would be a drop in the bucket for them. Let’s just hope Jimbo doesn’t bolt because Willie’s gone if FSU comes calling IMO. Better pay, the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, he’s from Florida. As someone said above, it’s nail biting time until Jimbo decides what he’s doing. Even then, does A&M come calling for Willie with their Brinks truck full of money if they don’t get Jimbo?
I don't think that money is the biggest pull for Willie, thus he would not leave after 11 months to head to Texas AM just because they offered him a higher salary. It's largely assumed/reported that FSU/UF and possibly Miami are the end goal for Taggart.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Jimbo Fisher is ruining my holidays.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

I find it interesting that he sat courtside with the Knight's up in Porltand for the PK80 then the same weekend we give him an extension with a pretty nice pay raise. You have to think there were some discussions about the FSU job and about Taggart staying or leaving. I bet Knight told him the ceiling is really high at Oregon and so is the compensation if he stays and does what we all think he can do. This first extension/raise is only the beginning.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Meh, this will get interesting.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

From the USF beat writer for the Tampa Bay/St. Pete Times: