Who do you want as the HC at Oregon next year?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Who do you want as the HC at Oregon next year?

Post by Phenom »

I'm going to very intrigued in seeing how Arroyo calls a game.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Phenom wrote:I'm going to very intrigued in seeing how Arroyo calls a game.
His time at Okie State may be a good thing as they play fast.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Do we even know if any of these names have been interviewed or are interested in the job. Besides cristobal?
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

And don't forget you can email your well-reasoned thoughts on this topic to athleticdirector@uoregon.edu :lol: .
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by srduck »

pezsez1 wrote:I'm honestly shocked we haven't learned anything about candidate interviews. What is Mullens waiting for? You'd think they would have had interviews lined up like yesterday. They can't afford to just sit still like this.
what do you think he has been doing since he flew out of Eugene after meeting with the team on Tuesday? He’s doing it at an off site location and guess what it’s a confidential search. Make sense? And just to make you feel better they contracted with a search firm over two weeks ago. A contingency plan was in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trnxcam
Three Star Recruit

Post by trnxcam »

I don't think Mullens hires anyone from the existing coaching staff.

I think all the players and recruits uniting around Cristobal will actually have a reverse effect on Mullens. I think Mullens has an ego and I think he will not be dictated by recruits or players as to who the next coach will be.

If he was going to hire Cristobal or anyone else on the current staff...he should have already done it to help save the recruit class. The longer Mullens waits to announce the new coach...the less likely it is someone from the current staff.

Cristobal probably had a better chance to get hired by Mullens as the next HC before all the players started supporting him. Now I think Mullens takes him off the list.

You may not think Mullens has an ego...but he does. He wants the HC to be his choice.

Also PK does not have as much influence over hiring as people think.

I think we are going to be initially disappointed with the choice for HC and I don't think the recruiting class will survive.

This is likely Mullens' last chance to get it right and he knows it. And he is not going to hire someone because the players want it. This is his hire and his alone.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

trnxcam wrote:I don't think Mullens hires anyone from the existing coaching staff.

I think all the players and recruits uniting around Cristobal will actually have a reverse effect on Mullens. I think Mullens has an ego and I think he will not be dictated by recruits or players as to who the next coach will be.

If he was going to hire Cristobal or anyone else on the current staff...he should have already done it to help save the recruit class. The longer Mullens waits to announce the new coach...the less likely it is someone from the current staff.

Cristobal probably had a better chance to get hired by Mullens as the next HC before all the players started supporting him. Now I think Mullens takes him off the list.

You may not think Mullens has an ego...but he does. He wants the HC to be his choice.

I think we are going to be initially disappointed with the choice for HC and I don't think the recruiting class will survive.

This is likely Mullens' last chance to get it right and he knows it. And he is not going to hire someone because the players want it. This is his hire and his alone.
You have inside info or just your theory? I'm fairly certain the PKs have a lot of influence.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

trnxcam wrote:I don't think Mullens hires anyone from the existing coaching staff.

I think you are right with respect to the timing issue; the reason to hire Cristobal is the recruiting class, the stupidest thing would be to wait until it breaks apart and then hire him.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

We don't NEED Cristobal to keep this recruiting class together. Heck, we don't even know if he's capable.

We just need a good recruiter who can sell a vision. Remember how Willie came in and salvaged Helfrich's floundering class? No reason why a guy like Sumlin couldn't do the same thing, right?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

pezsez1 wrote:We don't NEED Cristobal to keep this recruiting class together. Heck, we don't even know if he's capable.

We just need a good recruiter who can sell a vision. Remember how Willie came in and salvaged Helfrich's floundering class? No reason why a guy like Sumlin couldn't do the same thing, right?
Cristobal is considered one of, if not the best recruiter in the nation.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

pezsez1 wrote:We don't NEED Cristobal to keep this recruiting class together. Heck, we don't even know if he's capable.

Sumlin isn't proven to be capable either. He was fired from A&M for a reason. Now I'm not on the no Sumlin train like some other posters but I don't agree with the no on Cristobal because of his previous record . Willie was hired and his record wasn't/isn't the best either.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Cristobal was the 2015 and one other year national recruiter of the year at Alabama!!!!!
He is also responsible for a lot of the current commits. The guy is a dam good recruiter.
Sumlin i would be ok with...however number of players arrested of 25 is a red flag to me.
They say he does not have much disipline in the locker room. yea its a really bad class why
keep it together..sarcastic of course....
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Lol this is so true about Mullens! I took a grad level sports marketing class and twice during the term Mullen’s spoke to us, and half of the time he just criticized Phil Knight and talked about how the UofO needs him to keep PK in check. The main criticism was Uncle Phil wanting Matthew Knight Arena to be big enough to host an NCAA tournament regional bracket, which resulted in empty seats which Mullen’s hate. I do think he will end up going with Cristobal because as much as he hates it, donors do have a lot of influence, but we’ll see what he decides.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Wicked burn towards WT:
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:

Lol this is so true about Mullens! I took a grad level sports marketing class and twice during the term Mullen’s spoke to us, and half of the time he just criticized Phil Knight and talked about how the UofO needs him to keep PK in check. The main criticism was Uncle Phil wanting Matthew Knight Arena to be big enough to host an NCAA tournament regional bracket, which resulted in empty seats which Mullen’s hate. I do think he will end up going with Cristobal because as much as he hates it, donors do have a lot of influence, but we’ll see what he decides.
Oregon has had some real winners as AD.. years and years ago Bill Bowerman walked into i
believe Rick Bay's office. Bay was the AD at the time. Bowerman layed a check for $1 million in
front of Bay. Told him that was for a new building at Hayward field that had locker rooms and meeting
rooms etc. Told Bay it was to be used only for Track. Bay told Mr. Bowerman that they would use
it however the uofo wanted. Check went back in Bowermans pocket and he walked out. Couple
of weeks later the uofo came to their senses and got the money on Bowermans condition. The building is
the one at the north end of the track. Because im old this is how i remember this going down.
Point is i dont trust the AD to do the right thing. They have for some reason this premadonna personality.