After Wazzu, where does Oregon's D rank?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

After Wazzu, where does Oregon's D rank?

Post by woundedknees »

As of 9/26/2009, Oregon ranked 60th in run D, 46th in pass D, 43rd in Total D, and 38th in Scoring D.

Hard to believe the Ducks are 4-1, when you look at that.

Today should help.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: After Wazzu, where does Oregon's D rank?

Post by karlhungis »

It is funny that for the most part, we duck fans are THRILLED with how well our defense is playing this year. Yet we still aren't even sniffing the top 25 in defensive ranking. I guess that shows what type of defense we are typically accustomed to.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

I think we should be much higher in defensive ranking. I was thinking about this today, that maybe all the negative things I've thought and said about Aliotti were wrong. All I've seen all season is our D playing like crazy and putting the hurt on teams, but I guess when you're playing a team as bad as Washington St it's pretty easy for your D to look really good.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

That's what USC thought...

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

karlhungis wrote:It is funny that for the most part, we duck fans are THRILLED with how well our defense is playing this year. Yet we still aren't even sniffing the top 25 in defensive ranking. I guess that shows what type of defense we are typically accustomed to.
No, it shows that we're watching the games. Oregon's D will always have bad statistics because they're on the field WAY more than your average defense. So stats like run defense, yards per game, points per game, etc. are all skewed against us. Plus, our D has been great about getting turnovers and making stands when necessary (like when WTIII fumbled the kickoff last week and our D stepped up and made them kick the field goal).

Don't buy into these statistics whatsoever. Our D is absolutely fantastic this year.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I guess my point was more toward suggesting that we should take a big jump up in the standings, for this week at least, after today's performance.

And what the heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see Oregon do the same defensively to UCLA.

Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

woundedknees wrote:As of 9/26/2009, Oregon ranked 60th in run D, 46th in pass D, 43rd in Total D, and 38th in Scoring D.
Hard to justify what other teams have done with the number of creampuffs many of the big names play. Always felt there should be 2 sets of reporting, one for overall and more important one for Div 1 games only, the latter being more relevant.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

karlhungis wrote:It is funny that for the most part, we duck fans are THRILLED with how well our defense is playing this year. Yet we still aren't even sniffing the top 25 in defensive ranking. I guess that shows what type of defense we are typically accustomed to.
The last 2 games the D has been amazing and was quite good in the Utah game, other than the 2 turnovers against Purdue they were good but not that good, and they were OK in the Boise State game, mostly it was Boise State creating problems for themselves. The D is getting better every game. The young guys are playing great, the talent on D is better than ever, I am excited for the years to come for the Ducks.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

When you take into consideration the teams we have faced and the offensive struggles we had early on (Which made the D on the field longer), then I appreciate our defensive stats even more.

I'd love to see another team go through our schedule and our offensive woes, yet somehow remain in the top 25 in defensive rankings.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

If for some reason Prince isn't ready and Craft starts, they won't score more than 10.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Considering the strength of schedule we have played up until the WSU game, our defense is definitely under rated....I dont see the D dropping off any..This is a special group of kids, with alot of talent, playing together as a unit....and with an (dare I say it) defensive coordinator and coaching staff that is bringin it all together....
Gooooo Ducks...
rogueduck
High School Drop Out

Post by rogueduck »

As of last night 10/3/2009, Oregon ranks 54th in run D, 20th in pass D, 28rd in Total D, and 30th in Scoring D.
duckstheword
Two Star Recruit

Post by duckstheword »

The Duck's stats have been updated:

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rank ... 09&org=529

23rd in scoring defense
12th in passing effeciency
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

duckstheword wrote:The Duck's stats have been updated:

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rank ... 09&org=529

23rd in scoring defense
12th in passing effeciency
These figures are more palatible, but.....Well, lets just do our talkin on the field...lol
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

If they keep performing at this level of consistency, NA may get coach of the year!

Now that would be a stunner!