What the Hell Nike?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Re: What the Hell Nike?

Post by Bud Lee »

StevensTechU wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
He can hate on who ever and wear whatever he wants. My issue is that complained about social injustices and then refused to vote and help implement changes he demanded we take as a society he's no better than the problem. He had a giant platform and didn't use it to help solve a problem. I equate his actions to bringing awareness to cancer yet refusing to fund research.
He donated $1 million to various charities. Even though I try, in my lifetime I won't have that kind of impact.
Right, like him or not he has actually put his own money up for his cause
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

FlDuckFan wrote:He claims people aren't being held accountable for crimes they commit. Last time I checked we voted for judges and most states elect the attorney general. Donating money to charities is great but that doesn't put people in the positions to hold people accountable or fight for social justice. I just don't understand why he half committed to a cause, no follow through.
I personally never miss a election and I am very active in local politics to help better my area. With that said, some people feel so discouraged by the system and believe that voting isn't going to change anything that they don't. I do believe that is the wrong approach and he should use his platform to encourage people to be informed voters and he should lead by example.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Sigh. You know who is upset about this? 40+ year old white people who don’t purchase Nike clothing or if they do, won’t change their purchasing habits because of other allegiances. It’s not like you folks who are upset are going to either stop wearing or buying Oregon Ducks gear just because of this. You know who loves this move? Nike’s target consumer base and current/prospective brand ambassadors. The rest of us, like myself, are indifferent. Nike is a business and their goal is to make money. They think that in the long run, they’ll make money off of this, either directly or indirectly. In the short term, they’ll have to deal with this Fake...I mean Fox...news outrage and a few tweets from our Orange Blumpkin president but I’m going to go out on a limb and say they did their market research on this.

So please continue to bitch and moan about this. Burn those Nike shoes that you don’t wear, cut the swoosh off your socks that you already bought...that’ll show them.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

this was a straight up business decision for nike involving a wildly popular athlete who now transcends the sport he used to play aimed at a younger generational customer base. i imagine this'll accomplish nearly everything nike wanted it to do.
ImageImageImageImageImage
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck24 wrote:Sigh. You know who is upset about this? 40+ year old white people who don’t purchase Nike clothing or if they do, won’t change their purchasing habits because of other allegiances. It’s not like you folks who are upset are going to either stop wearing or buying Oregon Ducks gear just because of this. You know who loves this move? Nike’s target consumer base and current/prospective brand ambassadors. The rest of us, like myself, are indifferent. Nike is a business and their goal is to make money. They think that in the long run, they’ll make money off of this, either directly or indirectly. In the short term, they’ll have to deal with this Fake...I mean Fox...news outrage and a few tweets from our Orange Blumpkin president but I’m going to go out on a limb and say they did their market research on this.

So please continue to bitch and moan about this. Burn those Nike shoes that you don’t wear, cut the swoosh off your socks that you already bought...that’ll show them.

It's funny, I didnt see anyone here attacking other posters for their views. But it s almost always the CK supporters who go strut to attacking people. Oh your old, or racist ect. It's none of those things. If he wants to really make a change, get involved, become a politician or lead some activist group. All hes done to this point, is divide people, rather than being smart about it and getting his message across by actually educating people on the topic.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Sigh. You know who is upset about this? 40+ year old white people who don’t purchase Nike clothing or if they do, won’t change their purchasing habits because of other allegiances. It’s not like you folks who are upset are going to either stop wearing or buying Oregon Ducks gear just because of this. You know who loves this move? Nike’s target consumer base and current/prospective brand ambassadors. The rest of us, like myself, are indifferent. Nike is a business and their goal is to make money. They think that in the long run, they’ll make money off of this, either directly or indirectly. In the short term, they’ll have to deal with this Fake...I mean Fox...news outrage and a few tweets from our Orange Blumpkin president but I’m going to go out on a limb and say they did their market research on this.

It's funny, I didnt see anyone here attacking other posters for their views. But it s almost always the CK supporters who go strut to attacking people. Oh your old, or racist ect. It's none of those things. If he wants to really make a change, get involved, become a politician or lead some activist group. All hes done to this point, is divide people, rather than being smart about it and getting his message across by actually educating people on the topic.
without attacking you, i would merely suggest that you might simply be unaware of the impact kaepernick has had in communities outside of your own. this wouldn't be the divisive topic that you acknowledge that it is if people weren't as equally passionate about kaepernick's actions as you are opposed to them.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Naw, most of this stuff is just straight up narcissism. Eliminating Social Injustice is one of the most short-sighted things I've heard in recent years. Not because it's not a "worthy cause," but some things you are simply never going to get rid of. Create one persons utopia and you've created a purgatory for another.

People use these causes to go and bully those they don't agree with, not on working on actual changes and yes, that goes for people like CK who donate money too. That Orange Pumpkin has asked them to give him a list of people to consider for pardons for example and to my knowledge, not a single one has presented him a name. Why? It's not about change, its about winning a trite argument for the majority of these individuals.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

buckmarkduck wrote:

Personally, I think Kaep is an idiot and I’d never want him as the face of my cause. How’s that for CK support? I called nobody old or racist. Go look on twitter at the videos of people burning their gear and cutting swooshes off their socks. What’s the common denominator? Where is the outrage coming from? What’s the common denominator? As for my Fox News and Trump looks like a Blumpkin comment...I stand by those.

My point is that Nike knows their consumer base and this was a well thought out marketing and business decision. We’re all hypocrites when it comes to this stuff. I think the use of sweatshops is deplorable but go look in my closet, Nike everywhere. I assume you are against Nike marketing Kaep and are upset. I bet you’ll still buy/wear Nike gear because you love Ducks football and we are Nike U. Ohio State fans aren’t gonna stop buying/wearing Ohio State gear. Same goes for Michigan, Florida State, Florida, Alabama and so on. Lest we forget as well, Nike has the NFL apparel contract until 2028 I believe. You really think Cowboy and Steeler fans are going to stop buying jerseys because Nike makes them? Maybe some people have that disciple but Nike is betting that more people than not don’t and more people will buy their gear as a result of this.

Nike thinks they can curry good will with this campaign and make money off of it. Same with Kaep. That alone makes me despise Kaep. He’s monetizing his battle which I find incredibly disingenuous. Yes it gives him a platform and who knows, maybe he’s donating all of the proceeds to his cause but at the day, this is all about making money. It’s not like a company whose sole goal is shareholder wealth is going to intentionally lose money because it’s the “right thing to do”.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

oregontrack wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

without attacking you, i would merely suggest that you might simply be unaware of the impact kaepernick has had in communities outside of your own. this wouldn't be the divisive topic that you acknowledge that it is if people weren't as equally passionate about kaepernick's actions as you are opposed to them.
I don't think you can argue that Kaep has caused an impact. Since he began his protests, movements like Black Lives Matter have taken off. I think everyone can be in agreement with that. The difference IMO, is that half the country sees that as a positive, while the other half sees it as a negative. We have seen mass shootings in: Dallas, NYC and Louisiana in direct connection with BLM and their followers. We also had protesters in Portland block freeways and one girl get hit by a car and riots in: Baltimore, Charlotte, Ferguson etc. Kaep has created a movement, but vilifying cops and making them an enemy instead of a neighbor is not creating a positive change.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

but is he vilifying police officers, or is his vilifying the terrible things that some of them do?

yes, those damn socks were in poor taste and did nothing but distract everybody from an actual issue.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

What the Hell Nike?

Post by OregonFan4Life »

A lot of 40+ white guys buy their white Nike’s with the blue swoosh on them. I find this move funny by Nike cause I know a lot of Liberals that already hate Nike and will never get over the child labor controversy they’ve been a part of, this move doesn’t change their minds. Yet this does bother a lot of people and I know multiple Oregon fans that will never buy Nike again because of this, so if Oregon fans won’t buy Nike anymore a lot of other fans also won’t. To me this is an incredibly dumb move by Nike, this will hurt them a lot financially. It’s clear more than ever now that Uncle Phil is no longer Nike’s chairman.

I think a lot of people fail to realize that just because 40+ year old white guys aren’t on social media doesn’t mean they don’t have power, that’s how Trump was elected. To me this seems like a short sighted decision by Nike where they think social media is the ultimate power, which it isn’t. Sure this will look awesome on social media, but their sales won’t look awesome after this move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by OregonFan4Life on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:

A lot of 40+ white guys buy their white Nike’s with the blue swoosh on them. I find this move funny by Nike cause I know a lot of Liberals that already hate Nike and will never get over the child labor controversy they’ve been a part of, this move doesn’t change their minds. Yet this does bother a lot of people and I know multiple Oregon fans that will never buy Nike again because of this, so if Oregon fans won’t buy Nike anymore a lot of other fans also won’t. To me this is an incredibly dumb move by Nike, this will hurt them a lot financially. It’s clear more than ever now that Uncle Phil is no longer Nike’s chairman.

Just like all of those people who were moving to Canada if Trump won. People talk a big game with stuff like this but few actually follow through. If Oregon wins 10 games and goes to the Rose Bowl, those big talkers will proudly be wearing their shiny new Nike branded Rose Bowl shirts.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck24 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

Just like all of those people who were moving to Canada if Trump won. People talk a big game with stuff like this but few actually follow through. If Oregon wins 10 games and goes to the Rose Bowl, those big talkers will proudly be wearing their shiny new Nike branded Rose Bowl shirts.
That may be, but I know some stubborn people out there. Just look at Trump, if he does something good, his haters will never admit it. If he does something bad, his fans will also never admit it. Same was true with Obama. People take social stances very very seriously. As I said, I know liberals that are big Oregon fans but refuse to buy anything Nike cause of child labor.

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I'll likely support Nike since I like their Oregon stuff but will stay away from the CK stuff since he never interested me when he was a player and certainly doesn't do himself any favors by bitching and whining about missing out on football, especially when he's made $40+ million in salary and countless amounts from endorsement deals. As it always is with athletes and owners, we're talking about millionaires vs billionaires. I'm sure his stuff will sell initially for the novelty and protest element to it but unless it's good past a couple years, it won't make much impact and Nike will look foolish for investing in a washed-up athlete.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

That may be, but I know some stubborn people out there. Just look at Trump, if he does something good, his haters will never admit it. If he does something bad, his fans will also never admit it. Same was true with Obama. People take social stances very very seriously. As I said, I know liberals that are big Oregon fans but refuse to buy anything Nike cause of child labor.

But they’ll root for a team that is self branded “Nike U”. Like I said above, we are all hypocrites when it beneficial to be. They won’t wear Nike but will gladly support Uncle Phil’s love child. Just a tad hypocritical.

This will blow over in a few weeks and we’ll be on to the next controversy du jour.