What the Hell Nike?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Re: What the Hell Nike?

Post by Bud Lee »

Give this about 3 weeks and people will forget why they were boycotting and burning Nike products.

Look at Yeti, saw a lot of folks talking smack about them and I'm willing to bet those same folks are going to be using their Yeti gear at the tailgates all through out the deep red states.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

As I read the opinions in this thread, I tend to agree with both sides. I think Nike knew what they were doing, but I also think they are likely to have a financial backlash. There were a lot of similar reactions to Kaepernick's original protesting and the trendy kneeling that happened around the league. Lots of folks on social media insisting that it would never affect NFL ratings, and then when rating did go down, the same folks saying it was for reasons other than what the players were doing. Now we know better, that it did have an effect on ratings, which have suffered the past two years, and are expected to suffer more this year, while owners scramble to try to stop the bleeding. It doesn't seem like Nike's revival of the Kaepernick zombie will help that trend turn around. A lot of America has a tissue rejection for Kaepernick's antics, and they feel pretty strongly about it. Nike made a political decision, and are apparently willing to suffer the consequences of it in order to promote an astonishingly ideological agenda. It will be interesting to see what the response will be.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm shocked by the reactions on this board, especially since we should be busy talking about Oregon football.
If they think pandering to a bunch of 15-17 SJWs is going to win them fans, those at Nike are dumber than I thought.
My only comment on this issue (because I don't come here to get political) is Nike is most certainly NOT pandering to 15-17 SJWs. It's just that Nike isn't pandering to white people. And I don't mean that in any kind of veiled "White people are terrible" kind of way, but Nike is simply not speaking to white people with this ad.

White people are largely dismissive/resistant to Kaepernick's message. This is plainly reflected in polling. Look at how African Americans respond, though, and it's night-and-day different. Kaepernick resonates with them. It's a completely different discussion. I'm sure I wouldn't need to explain that if we had as many African American forum members as we do white forum members.

Anyway, that's my one comment here. Nike isn't concerned with selling sports gear to hipsters.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i think pezsez is absolutely correct. i don't believe people who think "nike will one day regret this" are the target audience at all. this screams of targeting a youthful audience with whom kaepernick's message strongly resonates. seems this is about marketing to customers for the next quarter century.
ImageImageImageImageImage
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

He's not a very good football player. You'd think they'd want someone who is actually good at their profession representing their company.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:He's not a very good football player. You'd think they'd want someone who is actually good at their profession representing their company.
I'd still say he's got to be better than some of the QBs still in the league but most teams don't want the baggage and/or media circus that'd come with signing him. I know the Seahawks were close to working him out but they didn't like his answers when they asked his future protest plans.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Muted response from Wall Street. Stock closed down about 2.5% but, according to Axios, the only one analyst issued an opinion. Bottom line: The one analyst who did provide research on Nike's ad campaign, Oppenheimer's Brian Nagel, wrote: "The power of the messaging from this new broader campaign is apt to overshadow any potential backlash, near term, in our view."

One thing we forget is the $20 billion in Nike revenue that originates outside North America where they never heard of Colin Kaepernick.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Bud Lee wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
He can hate on who ever and wear whatever he wants. My issue is that complained about social injustices and then refused to vote and help implement changes he demanded we take as a society he's no better than the problem. He had a giant platform and didn't use it to help solve a problem. I equate his actions to bringing awareness to cancer yet refusing to fund research.
He donated $1 million to various charities. Even though I try, in my lifetime I won't have that kind of impact.
Right, like him or not he has actually put his own money up for his cause
Tax deduction. Move along, nothing to see here...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck24 wrote:Sigh. You know who is upset about this? 40+ year old white people who don’t purchase Nike clothing or if they do, won’t change their purchasing habits because of other allegiances. It’s not like you folks who are upset are going to either stop wearing or buying Oregon Ducks gear just because of this. You know who loves this move? Nike’s target consumer base and current/prospective brand ambassadors. The rest of us, like myself, are indifferent. Nike is a business and their goal is to make money. They think that in the long run, they’ll make money off of this, either directly or indirectly. In the short term, they’ll have to deal with this Fake...I mean Fox...news outrage and a few tweets from our Orange Blumpkin president but I’m going to go out on a limb and say they did their market research on this.

So please continue to bitch and moan about this. Burn those Nike shoes that you don’t wear, cut the swoosh off your socks that you already bought...that’ll show them.
Nike lost 3 Billion today. Seems a lot of people are "showing" them...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

DmoneyDuck wrote:Amazing job by Nike; the most recent ad campaigns have been so powerful (see Serena Williams). Colin Kapernick is an outstanding role model who is standing up what he believes in (social justice). He not only talks the talk but walks the walk as well (https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/1/31/ ... on-dollars).
https://www.redjournalists.com/taya-kyl ... ice-means/
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

nogerO wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Sigh. You know who is upset about this? 40+ year old white people who don’t purchase Nike clothing or if they do, won’t change their purchasing habits because of other allegiances. It’s not like you folks who are upset are going to either stop wearing or buying Oregon Ducks gear just because of this. You know who loves this move? Nike’s target consumer base and current/prospective brand ambassadors. The rest of us, like myself, are indifferent. Nike is a business and their goal is to make money. They think that in the long run, they’ll make money off of this, either directly or indirectly. In the short term, they’ll have to deal with this Fake...I mean Fox...news outrage and a few tweets from our Orange Blumpkin president but I’m going to go out on a limb and say they did their market research on this.

So please continue to bitch and moan about this. Burn those Nike shoes that you don’t wear, cut the swoosh off your socks that you already bought...that’ll show them.
Nike closed today at $79.60, 15 cents under the August 17th close of $79.75. After hours trading went to $79.86. So far this is simple market fluctuation. Four months back it was trading in the mid $60's.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Bud Lee wrote:Give this about 3 weeks and people will forget why they were boycotting and burning Nike products.

Look at Yeti, saw a lot of folks talking smack about them and I'm willing to bet those same folks are going to be using their Yeti gear at the tailgates all through out the deep red states.
Bud's 100% right , regardless of my feelings as pointed out elsewhere in the thread I'm not the target demographic anyway so my opinion is moot. I probably came off a bit to strong in my comments as it really doesn't matter to me anyway. I actually need a pair of shoes and will more than likely buy a pair of Nike's this weekend because I like their product.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

maxduck wrote:
nogerO wrote:

Nike closed today at $79.60, 15 cents under the August 17th close of $79.75. After hours trading went to $79.86. So far this is simple market fluctuation. Four months back it was trading in the mid $60's.
I'm not talking about on August 7 or four months ago. Nike lost 3.7 Billion dollarsTODAY!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

FlDuckFan wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:Give this about 3 weeks and people will forget why they were boycotting and burning Nike products.

Bud's 100% right , regardless of my feelings as pointed out elsewhere in the thread I'm not the target demographic anyway so my opinion is moot. I probably came off a bit to strong in my comments as it really doesn't matter to me anyway. I actually need a pair of shoes and will more than likely buy a pair of Nike's this weekend because I like their product.
People don't even have to fully boycott Nike to make them feel this deal in the wallet. Nike closes poor selling lines yearly so all that has to happen is for CK's line of shoes and apparel to be a bad seller compared to other signature lines. I'm of the opinion that the market or CK branded stuff is fairly limited, especially if he continues not being a part of an actual team.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Boycotts of people who don't would buy Nike anyway, costs Nike nothing. BUT

Purchases by counter boycotters, who currently don't buy Nike, to "Own the Deplorables" is all plus business.

If this becomes a social war of boycotting older white males versus suburban and urban women counter protest shoppers, Nike cleans up. I don't think this will happen though as the news cycle is moving too fast for this to stay a fresh hot button for either side.

Personally, I don't think I own a single pair of Nikes. This isn't out of protest over anything. Most of my shoe money goes to boots or cheap throw away sneakers as I am hard on my footwear. But if my wife hears about a Nike boycott by Trumpers, I could come home to $1000 worth of new Nike gear in my closet, particularly if she thinks it will piss off my Duck loving - Trump loving older brother. My fear is it might be Beaver Nike gear so she can double taze him.