#7 Stanford @ #20 Oregon (Sept. 22, Sat 5 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Re: #7 Stanford @ #20 Oregon (Sept. 22, Sat 5 PM ABC)

Post by woundedknees »

Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

OG Duck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OG Duck »

I agree that this loss is not on the coaches... if Verdell doesn't fumble this is a win. But I do wonder -- after that first poor snap to Herbert, did anyone talk to the Center and be like "Yo, calm the f down and do what you do." Because multiple awful snaps in a row in D1 football is simply unacceptable.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

OG Duck wrote:I agree that this loss is not on the coaches... if Verdell doesn't fumble this is a win. But I do wonder -- after that first poor snap to Herbert, did anyone talk to the Center and be like "Yo, calm the f down and do what you do." Because multiple awful snaps in a row in D1 football is simply unacceptable.
Isn’t Hanson a RS SR? He had to watch the Alamo Bowl vs TCU, he should’ve known after the first one he needed to clean it up, I don’t think he needed a coach to tell him, though apparently maybe he did. If the coaches needed to tell him to get the snaps under control after the first 3 before the disastrous 4th one, then that speaks more about Hanson than the coaches. Besides, after the disastrous one, there was no more bad snaps, maybe he didn’t realize how big of a deal the bad snaps were until that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Looking the Stanford DL in the eye he might not even notice errant snaps.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
OG Duck wrote:I agree that this loss is not on the coaches... if Verdell doesn't fumble this is a win. But I do wonder -- after that first poor snap to Herbert, did anyone talk to the Center and be like "Yo, calm the f down and do what you do." Because multiple awful snaps in a row in D1 football is simply unacceptable.
Isn’t Hanson a RS SR? He had to watch the Alamo Bowl vs TCU, he should’ve known after the first one he needed to clean it up, I don’t think he needed a coach to tell him, though apparently maybe he did. If the coaches needed to tell him to get the snaps under control after the first 3 before the disastrous 4th one, then that speaks more about Hanson than the coaches. Besides, after the disastrous one, there was no more bad snaps, maybe he didn’t realize how big of a deal the bad snaps were until that point.

He redshirted in 2015 so that'd make him a RS JR now.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Probably about the only 'questionable' thing you could put on the coaches was the 1st down play call from the 1 yard line. We brought in our jumbo package, including Jordon Scott on the play that Habibi-Likio fumbled the exchange. I liked the audacity of it and that we have a jumbo package but it was probably not the safest call in hindsight. Outside of that, I don't think anything was really questionable at all. It just happened that all of the bounces went Stanford's way in this game.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Yeah, even before the fumbling fiasco, I didn't like the gimmick jumbo package as I saw it lining up. The way the Oregon offensive line was playing, and the way Cyrus has converted nearly every time he touches it near the goal line, made any gimmicks an unnecessary, untested risk in that situation. I don't know if the package really had anything to do with what went wrong, but whatever.

Overall, Arroyo pretty much called as close to a perfect game as possible. He was about as close to perfect as Herbert was. Outside of a few flukish blunders that were totally self-inflicted, the Oregon offense completely outcoached, outschemed and outplayed the Stanford defense.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

It’s been nearly 24 hours and I’m still waiting for someone to jump out, say “gotcha” and tell me that Oregon actually won. I hope the team bounces back from this game quicker than I have.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Probably about the only 'questionable' thing you could put on the coaches was the 1st down play call from the 1 yard line. We brought in our jumbo package, including Jordon Scott on the play that Habibi-Likio fumbled the exchange. I liked the audacity of it and that we have a jumbo package but it was probably not the safest call in hindsight. Outside of that, I don't think anything was really questionable at all. It just happened that all of the bounces went Stanford's way in this game.
Apparently that package was working very well throughout practice the week leading up to the game.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Here I am at work on Monday and I thought by now I’d be over the shock of Oregon choking that game away and I’m still completely shocked and confused that Oregon managed to lose it. How the heck did Oregon lose that game?!

gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Here I am at work on Monday and I thought by now I’d be over the shock of Oregon choking that game away and I’m still completely shocked and confused that Oregon managed to lose it. How the heck did Oregon lose that game?!
Couged it 2.0
Last edited by gogreen55 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Listen we all saw progress there is no arguing that. Young players made bad mistakes and so did some older guys. But as a team that was a much better outing. I don’t think many of us thought we would even be in a position to blow it. Can’t change what happened time to move on to cal and make sure it doesn’t happen again
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

brich75 wrote:Listen we all saw progress there is no arguing that. Young players made bad mistakes and so did some older guys. But as a team that was a much better outing. I don’t think many of us thought we would even be in a position to blow it. Can’t change what happened time to move on to cal and make sure it doesn’t happen again
Plus, if your gonna lose. Lose EARLY!
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Imagine if last years staff with Willie is still at Oregon would we have even been in the
game? I cant even fathom what Oregon would have looked like.

play calling would still be horrible with no plan in sight.
would still lead the country in penalties
Every play would be a flanker screen for a 5 yard loss
Willie would blame the players for everything or someone faking an injury
Getting pushed around on both sides of the line.

What we saw Saturday was a pretty good idea of what Mario wants
this team to be. A few more players in key positions (cb) (qb)and more depth
and we will be there. There was a lot to like Saturday.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Without reposting all the previous comments and rewatching the game, I have to admit I as wrong. I think one announcer mentioned we could have kneed it also. I concluded that we would have had to punt with about 10-15 seconds left. I also believe that there were not that many mistakes. If there ever was a fluky loss, this was it. The bad snaps that resulted in the fumble return by Stanford was the game. The way we were dominating at that point we would have scored. One more TD and we have 38. Stanford scored two more TDs, so final score would have been 38-28 or 38-21. The Verdell fumble, if it occurred, would not have mattered.

The top 3 teams in PAC-12 are Stanford, UO, and UW. That's both north and south. We can and should beat anyone on the schedule. UW toughest. We won't be able to sneak up on them now.

This team is for real. We scored 31, should have been 38, on the best scoring defense in nation. SC only scored 3 pt. on them. Verdell had more rushing yds than Love. OL dominated one of the, ?, best DL in nation. Like most, DBs were only ?.

If we win out we get a good bowl. Only problem is Stanford will have to lose twice for us to get into PAC-12 championship and I don't see that happening in the weak conference.