#7 Stanford @ #20 Oregon (Sept. 22, Sat 5 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

wepto
Four Star Recruit

Re: #7 Stanford @ #20 Oregon (Sept. 22, Sat 5 PM ABC)

Post by wepto »

ducks5ever wrote:
wepto wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:We went from loving our coaching staff to questioning them. But I will stand by what I said, this was not on the coaches, this was on the players 100%. Hanson and Verdell have to answer to their entire team for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The team looked great. This is by far the best the team has looked since Mariota left. How any of you guys can be upset after crushing Stanford on both lines is beyond me. Stanford won on a series of flukes and chokes. As long as the lines are this good, the team will compete for the Pac 12 title.
Well stated, you learn more from the losses than the wins. To be completely realistic, we're not a playoff caliber team this year and the chase for the north title is still well alive. Dillon Mitchell is an absolute beast - really sucks we wasted his first 2 years here.
Funny thing, I didn't think Oregon had any shot at the playoff before this game. Now, eh, beating UW is real possibility. Probably won't make it even the team doesn't pick up another loss, but this team is good.

This was also the first time Herbert has looked like he might be worth the first overall pick in draft.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Against a top 10 opponent you simply can not make the mistakes Oregon's team did. They came out the second half and failed to execute the majority of the 2nd half. Then you have the turnovers and a center who forgets how to snap the ball in critical times. Oregon had this game won. I feel sorry for Herbert. He played lights out but Verdell and Hanson made sure despite his stellar play that they made sure they lost.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Don't discount the officiating.

I don't blame the loss on it, but it was shockingly bad.

No Pi's. Unreal.

That pylon call? Wtf was that. That has never been called before. The whole thing was bizarre
greenyellow wrote:This game was easily winnable. They got career performances from Herbert and Mitchell but those were wasted due to poor snaps, FR RBs, and the inability of the defense to get any type of stop in the 2nd half.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

yeah this game isn't on the coaches, if Jake doesn't have those two bad snaps and ducks get the fg that's at least ten point swing and the ball game.
Last edited by thomas time on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

OG Duck wrote:I am confused by the call on the overturned touchdown. I think that needs a full explanation by the PAC-12.
The referee in the booth explained it very well during the broadcast. The pylon by rule is out of bounds, all of it. When his foot hit the pylon he was out of bounds. When his foot hit the pylon it became a matter of where the ball was, it was in his outside arm out of bounds at about a yard short of the goal line. By rule it was the right call in my opinion
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Dude. All they needed was to take an effing knee with 50 seconds left. Stanford had one more time out. Unbelievable
thomas time wrote:yeah this game is on the coaches, if Jake doesn't have those two bad snaps and ducks get the fg that's at least ten point swing and the ball game.
bigbenp
Three Star Recruit

Post by bigbenp »

I'm not sure Stanford well move any in the top 10, the Ducks had their number for 3 quarters. The capitalized on the offensive mistakes and took the game away, but our kids put up a hell of a fight for most of the night. They'll learn from their mistakes, they're going to be their own worst critics and won't soon forget what happened.
GoDucksIn09 wrote:Against a top 10 opponent you simply can not make the mistakes Oregon's team did. They came out the second half and failed to execute the majority of the 2nd half. Then you have the turnovers and a center who forgets how to snap the ball in critical times. Oregon had this game won. I feel sorry for Herbert. He played lights out but Verdell and Hanson made sure despite his stellar play that they made sure they lost.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Duckenstein wrote:Dude. All they needed was to take an effing knee with 50 seconds left. Stanford had one more time out. Unbelievable
thomas time wrote:yeah this game is on the coaches, if Jake doesn't have those two bad snaps and ducks get the fg that's at least ten point swing and the ball game.
We would have had to punt with about 20 seconds left. Yes, this option is better than fumbling, but lots of things can go wrong on punts too. Young RB made a mistake he will learn from. Not the coaches' fault.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

thomas time wrote:yeah this game isn't on the coaches, if Jake doesn't have those two bad snaps and ducks get the fg that's at least ten point swing and the ball game.
How did the coaches cause the bad snaps?
bigbenp
Three Star Recruit

Post by bigbenp »

You're right about that, the staff could have made that decision and burn the clock out. Maybe that makes all the difference and kids walk away with a win; coach has to take that on the chin at the press conference. Can anyone imagine what would have happened if Willie was still here?
Duckenstein wrote:Dude. All they needed was to take an effing knee with 50 seconds left. Stanford had one more time out. Unbelievable
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Most of this loss is on the players but the coaches made some big mistakes too. On the coaches bad clock management at the end of the game with about two minutes to go they could’ve took me three times and ran most of clock off and not all of it there’s only one timeout left by Stanford. Two of our big miss cues are on the vital play they brought in a running back That had not been in the game yet I didn’t like that. I didn’t like the conservative playcalling come out the second half. Don’t get me wrong I’m 100% in on Krista Ball and the guys they’ve got some stuff to learn to bad loss great game. I think this is good of the other team as we’ve had since the Mariota that had not been in the game yet I didn’t like that. I didn’t like the conservative playcalling come out the second half. Don’t get me wrong I’m 100% in on Cristebal and the guys they’ve got some stuff to learn to bad loss great game. I think this is good of the other team as we’ve had since the Mariota days
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I'm the moron
Last edited by karlhungis on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
bigbenp
Three Star Recruit

Post by bigbenp »

Ouch...on to next week!
Biggus Duckus wrote:Made me laughImage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

This is not on the coaches. The players did not execute the second half. There are two that stand out. I feel sorry for Herbert. He deserved to win the game.

In terms of the officiating, I did not mind the pylon rule. The one that baffles me is the lack of pass interference when Mitchell was clearly interfered with. Even Herbstreit thought it was but good ole Pac 12 refs looked the other way.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

wepto wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:
wepto wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:We went from loving our coaching staff to questioning them. But I will stand by what I said, this was not on the coaches, this was on the players 100%. Hanson and Verdell have to answer to their entire team for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The team looked great. This is by far the best the team has looked since Mariota left. How any of you guys can be upset after crushing Stanford on both lines is beyond me. Stanford won on a series of flukes and chokes. As long as the lines are this good, the team will compete for the Pac 12 title.
Well stated, you learn more from the losses than the wins. To be completely realistic, we're not a playoff caliber team this year and the chase for the north title is still well alive. Dillon Mitchell is an absolute beast - really sucks we wasted his first 2 years here.
Funny thing, I didn't think Oregon had any shot at the playoff before this game. Now, eh, beating UW is real possibility. Probably won't make it even the team doesn't pick up another loss, but this team is good.

This was also the first time Herbert has looked like he might be worth the first overall pick in draft.
Could have quoted any post on this page, but I really agree with the Mitchell was a Beast. The Ducks dominated 57 and a half minutes of regulation.