#7 Stanford @ #20 Oregon (Sept. 22, Sat 5 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duckenstein
Freshman

Re: #7 Stanford @ #20 Oregon (Sept. 22, Sat 5 PM ABC)

Post by Duckenstein »

It's clearly not our year

Stanford is extremely experienced and they found a way to win by converting good luck into points.

I've never seen anything like that 4th quarter, and I do think luck and chance was a huge part of it. But Stanford was able to take advantage, they may not be as good as Oregon but they are savvy
duck58 wrote:Without reposting all the previous comments and rewatching the game, I have to admit I as wrong. I think one announcer mentioned we could have kneed it also. I concluded that we would have had to punt with about 10-15 seconds left. I also believe that there were not that many mistakes. If there ever was a fluky loss, this was it. The bad snaps that resulted in the fumble return by Stanford was the game. The way we were dominating at that point we would have scored. One more TD and we have 38. Stanford scored two more TDs, so final score would have been 38-28 or 38-21. The Verdell fumble, if it occurred, would not have mattered.

The top 3 teams in PAC-12 are Stanford, UO, and UW. That's both north and south. We can and should beat anyone on the schedule. UW toughest. We won't be able to sneak up on them now.

This team is for real. We scored 31, should have been 38, on the best scoring defense in nation. SC only scored 3 pt. on them. Verdell had more rushing yds than Love. OL dominated one of the, ?, best DL in nation. Like most, DBs were only ?.

If we win out we get a good bowl. Only problem is Stanford will have to lose twice for us to get into PAC-12 championship and I don't see that happening in the weak conference.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Didn't get to watch the game because I had a prior commitment... thank goodness.
so final score would have been 38-28 or 38-21
My pre-game prediction to my brother was Oregon winning 35-21. I told him if we were going to win, then the score couldn't be close, because I didn't think this team had the proven moxy to win a close game against a good opponent.

Sigh.

Hopefully, though, this loss gives the team the experience needed to bury the Huskies next month.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Duckenstein wrote:It's clearly not our year

Stanford is extremely experienced and they found a way to win by converting good luck into points.

I've never seen anything like that 4th quarter, and I do think luck and chance was a huge part of it. But Stanford was able to take advantage, they may not be as good as Oregon but they are savvy
duck58 wrote:Without reposting all the previous comments and rewatching the game, I have to admit I as wrong. I think one announcer mentioned we could have kneed it also. I concluded that we would have had to punt with about 10-15 seconds left. I also believe that there were not that many mistakes. If there ever was a fluky loss, this was it. The bad snaps that resulted in the fumble return by Stanford was the game. The way we were dominating at that point we would have scored. One more TD and we have 38. Stanford scored two more TDs, so final score would have been 38-28 or 38-21. The Verdell fumble, if it occurred, would not have mattered.

The top 3 teams in PAC-12 are Stanford, UO, and UW. That's both north and south. We can and should beat anyone on the schedule. UW toughest. We won't be able to sneak up on them now.

This team is for real. We scored 31, should have been 38, on the best scoring defense in nation. SC only scored 3 pt. on them. Verdell had more rushing yds than Love. OL dominated one of the, ?, best DL in nation. Like most, DBs were only ?.

If we win out we get a good bowl. Only problem is Stanford will have to lose twice for us to get into PAC-12 championship and I don't see that happening in the weak conference.
Good luck and chance were definitely a huge part. Stanford is also extremely disciplined and detailed. So they almost never make those shoot yourself in the foot mistakes themselves. Even when a team is playing better than them, they can still win by capitalizing on the other teams boneheaded mistakes. To beat them you need to play better than them and a clean game.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

But what happens if we beat Washington and Washington beats Stanford, and those are the only losses of those three teams. What would the tie breaker be in that instance?
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

If I had to make any guesses about a 3 way tie it is that our non conference schedule would then hurt us. Look at who Stanford plays or Washington plays. Washington will have lost to Auburn and us... Stanford loses to UW . I think Oregon still loses in 3 way tie.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

RanDux wrote: But what happens if we beat Washington and Washington beats Stanford, and those are the only losses of those three teams. What would the tie breaker be in that instance?
A series of tiebreakers are used to determine which two teams match up in the Pac-12 Football Championship Game. Final standings in each division are ordered top to bottom (with the top team in each division playing for the title) based on the following criteria:

Conference winning percentage
Number of conference wins
Two-team ties If two teams are tied for a division championship, head-to-head results between those two teams are used as a tiebreaker to decide who participates in the Football Championship Game.

Multiple-team ties If three or more teams are tied atop a division at the end of the season, the following criteria are used to eliminate teams until just two teams remain, at which point the two-team tiebreaking procedure is used.

Head-to-head results (best record in games between tied teams)
Record in intra-divisional games
Record against the next highest placed team in the division (based on the record in all conference games), proceeding through the division
Record in common conference games
Highest ranking in SportSource Analytics poll entering the final weekend of the regular season

https://pac-12.com/article/2014/11/06/p ... xplanation
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

So we root for ND and BYU this weekend so that we end up as the highest ranked team.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

So under the current hypothetical of everyone winning out to create a 11-1 Stanford, 11-1 Oregon and 10-2 bumass with everyone at 8-1 in P12 play it goes to the final tie-breaker of Highest Ranked team in the SportSource Poll which I can find the company, but not their poll to get an idea of where we stand. (You'd think that with our worst games behind us as well as our only loss, that we'd only rise from here on out)

We would probably be ranked ahead of bumass but behind Stanford. Root for 2 Cardinal losses or 1 that is just so damn ugly by seasons end that they fall behind us. Oh and we've got to bring it for the rest of the season like that.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Not sure if anyone listened to the Dan Patrick Show yesterday but a duck fan called and described the game as this, “Oregon had a 99% chance of winning and still found a way to lose.” Thought that was a funny way to describe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Duck07 wrote:So under the current hypothetical of everyone winning out to create a 11-1 Stanford, 11-1 Oregon and 10-2 bumass with everyone at 8-1 in P12 play it goes to the final tie-breaker of Highest Ranked team in the SportSource Poll which I can find the company, but not their poll to get an idea of where we stand. (You'd think that with our worst games behind us as well as our only loss, that we'd only rise from here on out)

We would probably be ranked ahead of bumass but behind Stanford. Root for 2 Cardinal losses or 1 that is just so damn ugly by seasons end that they fall behind us. Oh and we've got to bring it for the rest of the season like that.
Yeah so we’d need a ND victory over Stanford this week to put them in position for a second loss against bumass up north and even though they already have one loss, be better if they lost another before we beat them just because they’re the bumass team up north.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

I hadn't heard of SportSource until today but it looks like they are a subscription service. I did find a 4 year old ESPN article describing the evolution of the company and their focus.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -decisions
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Duck24 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:So under the current hypothetical of everyone winning out to create a 11-1 Stanford, 11-1 Oregon and 10-2 bumass with everyone at 8-1 in P12 play it goes to the final tie-breaker of Highest Ranked team in the SportSource Poll which I can find the company, but not their poll to get an idea of where we stand. (You'd think that with our worst games behind us as well as our only loss, that we'd only rise from here on out)

Yeah so we’d need a ND victory over Stanford this week to put them in position for a second loss against bumass up north and even though they already have one loss, be better if they lost another before we beat them just because they’re the bumass team up north.
In this scenario, no we actually don't (*vomit*) unless Stanford has 2 conf losses as well. Stanford at 8-1 in the North with bumass at 7-2 or worse makes the first tie breaker head to head and not create a 3-way tie that goes to the ranking.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ it assumes uw beats Stanford and we beat us. Uw already lost to Auburn, thus their second loss but not a conference loss.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Even though it’ll never happen, i wish the pac12 would just take the two best teams, regardless of north or south, to play for the pac12 championship. The top half of north is always so much better than that of the south, and its not even close.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I wouldn't say it is not even close. It may not be close this year. Last couple of years USC did fairly well in the south and in bowl games. I don't like them but Darnold was a good qb and won a lot of games for them. 2 years ago they won the Rose Bowl. Last year they beat Stanford twice. Neither of those are easy. When USC struggles there is nobody else that has continuously showed can compete the whole year in the south.