More New faces at DB

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

More New faces at DB

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

http://www2.registerguard.com/cms/index ... sive-back/

"I had some really good stuff on Oregon’s injury ravaged secondary left over at the end of this week, and some time to kill on my flight to Los Angeles this afternoon. So here’s a bonus feature for the blog that I don’t think will make it into the paper. One thing I think it imparts is just how passionate coaches are about their players, reserves as well as starters."

“Cliff Harris has a chance to be a special player,” Neal said. “Not only is he a talent, but he’s competitive, and he cares. ... He understands things. He’s picking things up. I am absolutely not afraid to play anyone that will compete the way he can. And then add the ability he has, he’ll be able to compete against UCLA.”

“If anything was to happen like that, I’m sure I could go out there and compete,” Harris said. “I ain’t afraid of nobody. I ain’t scared to go against nobody. If they are in front of me, I’ll guard them.”
wlduck
Sophomore

Re: More New faces at DB

Post by wlduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:http://www2.registerguard.com/cms/index ... sive-back/

"I had some really good stuff on Oregon’s injury ravaged secondary left over at the end of this week, and some time to kill on my flight to Los Angeles this afternoon. So here’s a bonus feature for the blog that I don’t think will make it into the paper. One thing I think it imparts is just how passionate coaches are about their players, reserves as well as starters."

“Cliff Harris has a chance to be a special player,” Neal said. “Not only is he a talent, but he’s competitive, and he cares. ... He understands things. He’s picking things up. I am absolutely not afraid to play anyone that will compete the way he can. And then add the ability he has, he’ll be able to compete against UCLA.”

“If anything was to happen like that, I’m sure I could go out there and compete,” Harris said. “I ain’t afraid of nobody. I ain’t scared to go against nobody. If they are in front of me, I’ll guard them.”
Great quote from Harris. Good cornerbacks and relief pitchers share two traits- a bad attitude and a short memory.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

8-)

Harris sounds like a G. Glad he's here.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Harris will be a special player, but deep down inside, I'd still prefer to redshirt him haha. But I guess if he has the ability to play and make this team better, it's worth it.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Yeah i wish we could RS every player haha. But if you really look at it, it may be best for him to play now. Next year we're gonna need experience & depth in the secondary and if he is as good as we think he can be he could easily end up a starter next year. Which might not be possible if he redshirts this year & doesn't get any game time experience. This experience now is gonna pay off next year when we are going to need him to be a big contributer.
ducklydoright
Two Star Recruit

Post by ducklydoright »

My feeling is that I want Harris to RS, UNLESS he is without a doubt better than anyone else (Gildon, Grady, Peppars) we can put in there. One thing I think we sometimes forget is that historically freshmen CB's, especially true frosh, do not usually play well (Gipson, Binns). We also run a very sophisticated defensive scheme, although it seems to have become less complex this year, and just because Harris may be a Great cover guy does not mean he would do well in our defense. Now i'm sure the coaches know that and they will make the proper adjustments, but I guess the spoiled/greedy duck fan in me wants to see Harris not use up a whole year of eligibility for half a season. Yet the other part of me wants to win now and if he really is the best option, which is pretty remarkable if that is the case, than throw him in there and lets see what he can do.
As for our opponent, could you pick a better Pac10 offense to have secondary issues against? Sure UCLA has the Mighty Norm Chow, but even with him the Bruin offense has been pretty piss poor. I predict that our young CB (Whoever takes over for Glasper) will be tested right away and will give up a few plays early, but once he settles down and gets over the "Wow i'm starting and i'm playing in the Rose Bowl" he will be fine. I think this game will either be a low scoring defensive battle or Costa is going to have a career day and our offense is going to continue where it has left off the past few games. Hopefully it's the latter, because if there ever was a football player that deserved to have his time in the spotlight it is Nate Costa.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I really don't care who the Ducks play... Ideally, it would be nice if the Ducks could redshirt Harris, but if it's not in the cards, at least use him enough to make it worth his tim.

Either way, Bludgeon the BlueWhines!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Harris sounds like a player. I say if he can make a significant contribution, go ahead and throw him out there this season. Sounds like Neil believes he we be the starter eventually, so why prolong what is bound to happen anyways.
Hopefully he signs up for an English class. Those "ain't" bombs were no bueno.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Would that most college players be required to participate in a public speaking class before interacting with the media.

Listening to the communication skills of many of the former players now working in the sports media, it seems as if it would be a preferable requirement for many of them, as well.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!