Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19 Thread.

Post by StevensTechU »

Blazers obviously with a huge handicap (no pun intended) in not having Nurk, who bested Adams in the head to head this year. But we're also getting the benefit of an obviously-banged-up Paul George. Blazers played a great first quarter, then some questionable lineup decisions by Stotts and an overall decreased intensity by the Blazers made it close. Seemed like after the first, they really sank to the trash level of OKC for the rest of the game.

Obviously like our chances in the series. I also hate OKC and want to see us knock them out.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Blazers were fortunate not to have been called for traveling on that last drive by Kanter. Otherwise, the guy had a tremendous game. How amazing was it to sign him for the minimum when he could have gone anywhere? Saved the season.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

There were two huge issues I did not like for Portland going into this series: Paul George, whom the Blazers don't have the faintest of answers for, and Enes Kanter's defense. Kanter is probably the worst (starting) defensive big man in the NBA, so the P&R, getting bullied by Adams, and Westbrook taking the action right into the paint were all of considerable concern. And while Kanter was far from great on defense, a 20 & 18 game will make up for a lot of deficiencies. He came up big.

It also helps that George is clearly hobbled with his shoulder. But I'll take it!
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Thurston wrote:
It also helps that George is clearly hobbled with his shoulder. But I'll take it!
With the Blazers going in to the series 0-10 in the playoffs, we'll take anything!
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Westbrook is obviously going to get his averages (do we have anyone who can guard him?) George is struggling and if we just do a decent job on the rest of that team we win this series. Sure hope George doesn't wake up before we do.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Blazers 114 OKC 94, Blazers go up 2-0. The teams traded the lead in the first half, ended up tied, 54-54. Portland blew it open in the 3rd, and led, 91-75 after 3. OKC looked like it was interested for the first 7 minutes or so of the 4th but checked out when they couldn't get a run.
George did a lot better in this game than in game 1, 27 points, no triple double for Westbrook, 14, 11, 8. McCollum led the Blazers with 33, along with 5 assists. Blazers took care of home court, something the Warriors, and Nuggets couldn't do.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Blazers looked really good once they got the lead, defense did a good job to get back on Russell on fast breaks to stop easy hoops. Time to get at least one on the road and come home and win it in game five.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Man, when McCollum is on, he is really on. If he could bring it like that more often, the Blazers could make it at least to the conference finals. Very entertaining to watch he and Lillard slicing and dicing the Thunder defense. Great contributions from Harkless and Curry as well. Hopefully, Kanter can bounce back fine after that wrist injury.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

In that 3rd quarter where the Blazers created separation, it was at least as much the defense as it was hitting big shots. Damian Lillard got 2 steals in about 3 defensive possessions, and Chief had another and they translated each into points. I've also thoroughly enjoyed Moe blocking George in the opening frame of each game.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

That third quarter was so much fun. Great start for the blazers!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

this was the sequence where Dame took the dagger out and buried it in OKC.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

. Game 3 is the most important game in the series; if the Blazers can come out hard at the start of the game, they could take extinguish the spirit of OKC; Westbrook will hopefully feel even more frustrated, George's shoulder will hurt even more, and if the Blazers can win game 3, it is likely the fire in OKC will be even easier to put out in game 4. If OKC can win on Friday, they'll put the pressure directly on the Blazers to maintain the advantage and regain the momentum. The Blazers are 13-0 in Series when they have a 2-0 lead.

https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/2019 ... llard.html

Barkley: “They can score on anybody. But we’re going to see how they can play in Oklahoma City. I don’t want them to go there and just relax."
On Steven Adams hard pick that knocked Damian Lillard to the ground ...
Barkley: “You see that right there deserves a retaliation!”
Smith: “No it doesn’t!”
Barkley: “Yes it does!”
Shaq: “That’s a good pick!”
Smith: “If it’s me, I’m screaming at my big man [Meyers Leonard].”
Barkley: “You cannot let [Oklahoma City] do your little man like that! You got to get Russell or Paul George back! Shaq, that’s a good pick, but you cannot let them do that.”
Smith: “I would be screaming at my teammate [for not calling out the pick]”
Barkley: “But I’m gonna retaliate, too! ... It’s a good play, but it’s a bush league play.”
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I was a little annoyed in Game 1 when the announcers mentioned Steven Adams was "underrated." Am I the only one who thinks he's actually overrated? I just counted how many centers I would take over Adams and I got to 12 pretty easily. Nurkic owned him head to head this year, because he has the same ability to play bully ball but also possesses finesse around the rim and can hit a jumper. Why are commentators so convinced he's underrated?
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

StevensTechU wrote:I was a little annoyed in Game 1 when the announcers mentioned Steven Adams was "underrated." Am I the only one who thinks he's actually overrated? I just counted how many centers I would take over Adams and I got to 12 pretty easily. Nurkic owned him head to head this year, because he has the same ability to play bully ball but also possesses finesse around the rim and can hit a jumper. Why are commentators so convinced he's underrated?
Yeah, that didn't make a lot of sense. He is not a great passer, nor a great rim protector. Hisbiggest career accomplishment has been getting kicked by Draymond Green.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:this was the sequence where Dame took the dagger out and buried it in OKC.
:o

Wow, that was cold. That poor guy had a wife and kids.