Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19 Thread.

Post by Tray Dub »

StevensTechU wrote:I was a little annoyed in Game 1 when the announcers mentioned Steven Adams was "underrated." Am I the only one who thinks he's actually overrated? I just counted how many centers I would take over Adams and I got to 12 pretty easily. Nurkic owned him head to head this year, because he has the same ability to play bully ball but also possesses finesse around the rim and can hit a jumper. Why are commentators so convinced he's underrated?
If you're into advanced analytics his VORP this season was 3.3, just ahead of LaMarcus Aldridge. He rebounds well and is just a tough strong presence on both ends of the court. Plus he's still really young.

I think it's fair to rate him around the 12th best center in the league, actually, but I consider that pretty good. Not an all-star, but a guy you're pretty happy having as a starter. And that's about how I think the media sees him, so I'd say he's properly rated.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

On this morning's, (Thursday, 18) "Get Up", Charles Barkley said that Portland would win the West.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

If Golden State suffers three more catastrophic injuries, he could be right!
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

The good way to look at Game 3 was that OKC needed to win, and they did. The Blazers never seemed to really get any traction in this one.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Seems like the Blazers are worried about their interior defense without Nurk and are giving up the perimeter, hoping OKC will shoot as badly as they did in Portland. Instead, they hit 15 of 29 from distance. Time for a new strategy.

Meanwhile, Evan Turner, the Blazers $18 million man, is averaging less than 12 minutes per game so far in the playoffs, and has two points in three games (the same as Anfernee Simons). One more year of dead weight to go.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Phalanx wrote:Seems like the Blazers are worried about their interior defense without Nurk and are giving up the perimeter, hoping OKC will shoot as badly as they did in Portland. Instead, they hit 15 of 29 from distance. Time for a new strategy.
Or trust in averages and keep at it.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

StevensTechU wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Seems like the Blazers are worried about their interior defense without Nurk and are giving up the perimeter, hoping OKC will shoot as badly as they did in Portland. Instead, they hit 15 of 29 from distance. Time for a new strategy.
Or trust in averages and keep at it.
I didn't watch many Thunder games this year, but I assume those averages were achieved by teams that actually played some perimeter defense, rather than just leaving them wide open. I do agree that it seems unlikely that they can keep shooting over 50% from outside though. Here's hoping, anyway.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

One point in the 2nd half for Westbrook. Credit must be given to defense by the Blazers, but OKC's 0 just can't shoot. Meanwhile, great play from lots of Blazers; Aminu, Harkless, Collins. Nice flight home I'm sure.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

CJ was the player of the game. A bunch of clutch shots down the stretch.

Series nearly in hand, with three chances to get one more win. Going to be satisfying to knock Russ and the Thunder out.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Tray Dub wrote:CJ was the player of the game. A bunch of clutch shots down the stretch.

Series nearly in hand, with three chances to get one more win. Going to be satisfying to knock Russ and the Thunder out.
Absolutely about CJ, that sequence near the end of the 4th quarter, swipes the ball out of the air heads down the court, stops on a dime to hit the 3 with the Thunder player right behind him, classic!
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Of course I wholeheartedly agree that you can't leave everybody on the perimeter open, but I fully endorse leaving Westbrook as open as he wants to get beyond 17 feet. Lillard is living rent-free in his head right now. When momentum swings in OKC's favor, nothing helps holding onto a lead like Westbrook bringing the ball up the court and drawing iron again and again.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Thurston wrote:Of course I wholeheartedly agree that you can't leave everybody on the perimeter open, but I fully endorse leaving Westbrook as open as he wants to get beyond 17 feet. Lillard is living rent-free in his head right now. When momentum swings in OKC's favor, nothing helps holding onto a lead like Westbrook bringing the ball up the court and drawing iron again and again.
OKC is a force when PG is hitting 3s with reckless abandon. When he's not, that team is in trouble.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Behind the Oakland muggers, I dislike the Thunder tremendously...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Man winning the series on Tuesday would be so sweet. Go Blazers!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13