Oregon @ Stanford Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Robstu
One Star Recruit

Re: Oregon @ Stanford Thread

Post by Robstu »

pudgejeff wrote:average=decent...and 4 out of 12 is 1 of every 3 years...and two of those were elite 8 runs...which is not just good but fucking amazing and completely and totally unheard of here until then...I mean i'm only 23 but I guess i've been watching and paying attention when i was little cause it seems like you guys don't have any idea of how different this program is than it ever was or ever was thought of being
I know we were bad in the past but that's a pretty lame argument for keeping Kent. There is no way you can compare the program of what it is now and what it could become to the one in the past. More money, new arena, nike connection. Do you think recruits are gonna care about our record from 1950-1980's?? No... Sure history can be played up at some programs, I'm not saying we could be on the level of the Kansas or UCLA's of the world, those are special cases. But what should be the reason to not expect winning seasons and tournament runs year in and year out from this program? Its the argument that BUGS me the most.... Acceptance of marginality.

I thank Kent for getting this program rolling, and laying a foundation and getting people excited about basketball. I aknowledge that. But due to the past few years outside of an Elite 8 run and just BARELY making the tournament and getting waxed by Mississippi State... There is just no consistency and that's what I want out of this program. You'd think from when the first Elite 8 run, and the recruiting classes he's put together that this program would be taking off and competing for pac-10 titles (im not saying winning it but in the race)... and they are not.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

What are you talking about?...They have been competing for pac 10 titles...and waxed by Miss st.???...did you watch that game? pretty sure we were up 20 at half...sorry but thats not quite a waxing and i'm pretty sure we lost at the very end...and 1950's - 80's?...when do you think we started winning?...We didn't start winning even a little bit and till way late in the 90's...and I love how you beside's and elite 8 run? Are you kidding? You need to pay a little more attention college basketball and the NCAA tourney...We are one of only a handful of teams that have two elite 8 runs in this decade...Teams like Duke and UNC and UCLA...I'm sorry but if you think anyone's going to do a better job than kent your trippin.

In the last decade teams with 2 or more elite 8 appearances:

2-Oklahoma st, Wisc, Illinois, Duke, Maryland, Oklahoma, Xavier, Lousville and OREGON
3-Florida, Arizona, UConn, Texas, Memphis, UCLA
4-UNC, MSU
5-Kansas

I'd say thats some pretty darn good company. And Arizona and UCLA being the only other Pac-10 teams in there thats really good. And oh yeah USC and Stanford going one time a piece in 2001 are the only other schools in the Pac-10 to even make an elite 8 this decade. We're not settling for mediocrity. Funny how soon you forgot, Joevan Catron and Tajuan Porter were freshman on our last elite 8 team.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Jeff,

Elite 8's don't mean you get a pass for the next 4 seasons. Kent has brought this program a long way, but it can get better. And this team hasn't been competing for pac-10 titles. They had a team full of "can't miss seniors" last year and were lucky to even make the tournament. Ignoring the records for a second, Kent just isn't a very good coach.
seniorduck
One Star Recruit

Post by seniorduck »

I believe he had a good run, but all runs come to an end... With such a great class of freshmen this year we can't afford to have the mindset that he will get better prepared for next year.. We need a change before it is to late. IMO!!
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

The elite 8 was 2 years ago and the NCAA tourney was last year...So what going to the tounament 2 years in a row and making a run in one of em isn't good enough now?...Do we think we're Duke?