official BCS rankings out

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

echo31
Five Star Recruit

Re: official BCS rankings out

Post by echo31 »

If we do beat USC this weekend, we would deserve to be ranked over Boise State. The fact that they beat us and could go undefeated doesn't matter more than the fact that we would have to beat Cal, UW, Stanford, USC, OS, UA, ASU, UCLA, Purdue and Utah. Our schedule has a bunch of quality wins, theirs has us. I'm sorry, but 7-11 quality wins is better than 1.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

If Oregon wins out they will leapfrog Boise State, Oregon is moving up while Boise State is dropping. That first game is already starting to look like a fluke to most people.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

monster wrote:Has the BCS ever taken 2 mid-majors before? Or is this a race between TCU and BSU? Go Frogs!
How awesome would be that even after they beat us & got that undefeated season that they still fell short of the BCS because of another mid-major? That would be a freaking dream come true.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I think Boise St and TCU will go undefeated the rest of the way, and TCU will get the BCS bid while Boise St won't. That would be a tough break, but the BCS ends up screwing over teams every year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:I think Boise St and TCU will go undefeated the rest of the way, and TCU will get the BCS bid while Boise St won't. That would be a tough break, but the BCS ends up screwing over teams every year.
TCU still has to play Utah, so I don't think their road is as easy as Boise's.
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

I don’t know how you guys can honestly say that we are a better team/should be ranked higher than BSU.

(1) BSU completely dominated us. It wasn’t even close. They kicked our ass up and down the football field.

(2) We have not played a team nearly as good as BSU since then. We barely beat a Utah team at home that is incredibly overrated and could easily have three losses right now against unranked opponents. As far as the rest (Cal, WSU, UCLA, and UW), they are average at best.

Oregon fans are turning into the type of fans that people hate: “yeah, I know we lost to you guys, but we are better than you guys because we are playing really well right now”. Usually that excuse is only used when the game between the two teams was close, which was certainly was not the case in our game against BSU.

Stop being biased guys :roll:
I was BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

uo2010 wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:This brings up an interesting question: How much should head to head wins be weighed vs overall schedule? Boise St did beat Oregon which should count for a lot, but they don't have to play Cal, USC, etc.
Making comparisons is impossible. The only thing that we know is the BSU beat us, and beat us bad. BSU should stay ranked ahead of us as long as they keep winning.
Good luck with that thought...BSU is not entitled to anything..They have to earn it, the same as anyone else.....That, is why BSU is dropping in the BCS poll and will most likely continue to do so..With a convincing win over SC this next week, I would not be surprised at all to see the Ducks vault right over BSU....Why? Because we are playing quality teams and beating them, week after week...
BSU continues to play a creampuff schedule....And that is their problem...
We dont create their creampuff schedule, they do....And they should be rewarded for doing so? I dont think so.....
And btw...19-8 or whatever the final score was, is not beating us badly...They won the game..Its a W in their column and an L in ours...That's all....What's with all the BSU sympathy here...Who cares about their program, until they start playing a decent schedule, they are nothing more than a One Hit Wonder...We are not talkin The Rolling Stones here...lol
spinseeker
Freshman

Post by spinseeker »

uo2010 wrote:I don’t know how you guys can honestly say that we are a better team/should be ranked higher than BSU.

(1) BSU completely dominated us. It wasn’t even close. They kicked our ass up and down the football field.

(2) We have not played a team nearly as good as BSU since then. We barely beat a Utah team at home that is incredibly overrated and could easily have three losses right now against unranked opponents. As far as the rest (Cal, WSU, UCLA, and UW), they are average at best.

Oregon fans are turning into the type of fans that people hate: “yeah, I know we lost to you guys, but we are better than you guys because we are playing really well right now”. Usually that excuse is only used when the game between the two teams was close, which was certainly was not the case in our game against BSU.

Here's how we can honestly think Oregon is a better team NOW than the first game of the year:
1. New head coach in first game playing HC and OC.
2. On the road against a good/ possibly great team
3. Completely rebuilt O-line in first start in a hostile environment (do not underestimate the importance of this).
4. Many new defensive personnel held Boise to 19 points, lowest of the season so far.
5. O-line has now gelled and playing good/great even on the road against good competition.
6. Defense is still playing at an extremely high level
7. Coupled with a much improved offense Oregon is playing at an elite level
8. Special teams is outstanding.

Granted none of this means Boise has not grown just as much and could still beat us, however the numbers they are putting up against (supposedly) inferior competition does not lead to that conclusion for most people. To think that two teams who played at the beginning of the season can't overcome challenges they faced in the first game to become elite, or implode and go into the tank and possibly not resemble the team at the beginning of the season is foolish.
Yes, BSU beat UO in the first game, but only by 11 points on the road. Regardless of how ugly the game was, Oregon was in it until the end with a chance to win. Obviously this team has seen tremendous growth since then. Tight win against Purdue while the offense still struggled and the dominating defensive performance against Utah that won the game struggling O. Then BANG, the offense gels and we haven't looked back.
More importantly, Oregon looks nothing like they did against BSU in the first game of the season.

mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

uo2010 wrote:I don’t know how you guys can honestly say that we are a better team/should be ranked higher than BSU.

dude ur crazy.. you honestly still think were the same team that we were against bsu.. if u cant see how much we have improved in all areas you must not know football very well...
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Until proven otherwise, I am going to say that uo2010 is most likely a BSU fan that joined our boards. Every post he/she has made in multiple threads now has been seriously pro BSU.

uo2010, I dont know what blinders you have on, but if you seriously think BSU is a better team than the Ducks today, then you need to rewatch some games. Every sportswriter in America flat out said BSU played that game horribly and that the failure of Oregons offensive line is what kept them from moving the ball. Save revisionist theory for politics, this is football. :ugeek:
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

ImageImage
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

The polls have always been forgiving for an early season loss. BSU won, I give them that, but any analyst worth their grain of salt would look at the following games where there was NO or limited offense production and realize, that Boise's defensive dominance was not as impressive as first perceived, their win was also heavily influenced by Duck ineptitude (canine flu) which was demonstrated by the following two games.

The dynamic of the polls reflect as Herbstriet once put it, merit based on the body of work. Sadly that appears to include current reputation (Florida, well any team from the SEC), overall historic success and perception of a program (Texas) along with wins. BSU's schedule was not conducive to formulating a strong body of work, as many have perceived it was a one stop show which required a string of progressively improved blowouts afterwards. Hasn't happened, in fact a bad game at Tulsa glares as a perceived black mark against the program.

There is no straight line team A beat Team B approach to the polls, nor in the end run should there be unless the matchup is late season and relevant to the current rankings or a string of common opponents. Fact is put these two teams on the field today, it is not a given that BSU would win.

If the Ducks were to beat USC and jump BSU, I would not be surprised. There has been a viable, measurable improvement of the Ducks overall. That cannot be said of BSU.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

I disagree.

(1) 19-8 is not what I call completely dominating us. We didn't play well. But, they had a number of mistakes as well. Their mistakes count too if we're making comparisons of play.

(2) Based on completely objective statistical analysis, we have accomplished more in our games, including the loss to them, than they have.

The problem with your idea that no team can be ranked higher than a team they lost to is that teams don't play at the exact same level every game. Sometimes teams have a bad game. Sometimes they improve drastically with a few scheme changes. The statistics back up that Oregon has proven their merit on the field more so than BSU has, even though they beat us in the opener.

Nothing biased about formulas that rank every team on the same basis.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Yeah, I was thinkin that uo2010 most likely wears Blue and Orange undies....The sad thing is, he probly thinks they look good...
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

This makes no sense to me, it's not being biased saying Oregon deserves to be ranked higher if we win out it's just logic. Boise st. doesn't play good teams week in and week out. The majority of the teams they play are about as good as the bottom of the barrel teams in the Pac-10, which there seems to really only be one of those in the Pac-10 this season.
It's almost the same thing as why USC is ranked higher than Oregon right now, they have played a far more impressive schedule this season with wins at Notre DAme and Ohio St.
The best part about losing to Boise is it was the first game of the season, just like they say it's better to lose early than to lose late.