If Oregon gets to the playoffs , I think we would win it all

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Re: If Oregon gets to the playoffs , I think we would win it

Post by RebelDuck »

I just don’t see Oregon doing well in the playoffs. I’d take the Rose Bowl without question this year.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

I can't believe anyone would rather not be in the playoff than have a shot at winning it all....I have no idea how competitive it would be, but you got to be in it to win it you fools!
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Look at the Toronto Raptors, how many people gave them a shot against the Warriors this year. Yeah, they needed the help of injuries to win, but who's to say Trevor Lawrence doesn't throw 4 picks trying to squeeze in some balls or something like that.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

bigsugarduck wrote:I can't believe anyone would rather not be in the playoff than have a shot at winning it all....I have no idea how competitive it would be, but you got to be in it to win it you fools!
Its like every year we have a chance to make it :lol: Like its easy to get in. If we get in it was meant to be if we dont still been a hell of a season! But rooting against a playoff is crazy talk.
Return Of the Quack!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

bigsugarduck wrote:I can't believe anyone would rather not be in the playoff than have a shot at winning it all....I have no idea how competitive it would be, but you got to be in it to win it you fools!
Normally I would agree, but I feel like Mario is still in the process of rebuilding the program and it isn't quite where he can get it to be yet. I personally feel like for the sake of recruiting, it'd be easier to sale a Rose Bowl win than a playoff loss, especially if that playoff loss was a blowout. But Mario seems like he would be able to recruit regardless so maybe you're right. Just how I personally see things is all.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

No way. We might lose 3 of 7 against the blue bloods, but you have to take those odds and try like hell to bend them to your will. Upsets happen in sports all the time. Getting to the payoffs is way too rare not to hope you get there.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

[youtube][/youtube]
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Normally I would agree, but I feel like Mario is still in the process of rebuilding the program and it isn't quite where he can get it to be yet. I personally feel like for the sake of recruiting, it'd be easier to sale a Rose Bowl win than a playoff loss, especially if that playoff loss was a blowout. But Mario seems like he would be able to recruit regardless so maybe you're right. Just how I personally see things is all.
Personally, I don't think either would sway a recruit's opinion, with the exception of perhaps Oregon winning it all. Recruits don't care about a non-playoff bowl win. However, here's what I could see making a difference. Imagine if you had the choice of going to an SEC school that doesn't even need to bother to go to their conference championship game to make the playoff, giving you a chance to win the only thing anyone really cares about, the national championship. Meanwhile, your other option is going to a school that can go undefeated in their conference, and still get left out of a chance to win it all. Which would you choose? One clearly has much better odds of winning the championship, because they actually get a chance to play in it. The Rose Bowl doesn't mean what it once did. Sure, it's a nice achievement for a team that was in the dumps a few seasons ago, but players will 10/10 rather have a chance in the playoffs than to win a meaningless bowl game.
Last edited by droop10 on Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

LSU is the best team in the country right now. Hands down, no questions asked. I don't need a playoff to tell me that. They can and will win out.
DuckDuckJuice
Two Star Recruit

Post by DuckDuckJuice »

The publicity you get from being one of the four teams selected would have a much bigger impact on future recruiting than a Rose Bowl win. Just being in the playoff would be huge for the momentum of the program, if you win a playoff game it’s even bigger.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

DuckDuckJuice wrote:The publicity you get from being one of the four teams selected would have a much bigger impact on future recruiting than a Rose Bowl win. Just being in the playoff would be huge for the momentum of the program, if you win a playoff game it’s even bigger.
Exactly. College football has become entirely centered around the CFP and has made the other bowls even less relevant.

For example, off the top of my head I couldn’t tell you anything about the UW’s coach Peterson years other than I know they made the CFP one year. I have no idea what bowls they played in or if they won his the other years; and I follow college football really closely, the pac12 especially. A young kid who we’ll be recruiting in the next few years will remember us being in the CFP. I doubt he’ll remember if we won the Rose Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

QuackininBama wrote:LSU is the best team in the country right now. Hands down, no questions asked. I don't need a playoff to tell me that. They can and will win out.
I believe that Ohio State right now is better than LSU. Eyeball test shows me it is easier to score on LSU with a decent offense.
DuckDuckJuice
Two Star Recruit

Post by DuckDuckJuice »

JIDuck97 wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:LSU is the best team in the country right now. Hands down, no questions asked. I don't need a playoff to tell me that. They can and will win out.
I believe that Ohio State right now is better than LSU. Eyeball test shows me it is easier to score on LSU with a decent offense.
With the exception of Georgia and maybe Bama without Tua, any team in the playoff discussion could put 40 on LSU.
Blazers-1977
Two Star Recruit

Post by Blazers-1977 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
DuckDuckJuice wrote:The publicity you get from being one of the four teams selected would have a much bigger impact on future recruiting than a Rose Bowl win. Just being in the playoff would be huge for the momentum of the program, if you win a playoff game it’s even bigger.
Exactly. College football has become entirely centered around the CFP and has made the other bowls even less relevant.

For example, off the top of my head I couldn’t tell you anything about the UW’s coach Peterson years other than I know they made the CFP one year. I have no idea what bowls they played in or if they won his the other years; and I follow college football really closely, the pac12 especially. A young kid who we’ll be recruiting in the next few years will remember us being in the CFP. I doubt he’ll remember if we won the Rose Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was one of the good things about the BCS Era, the other BCS Bowls(Rose, Fiesta, Orange, and Sugar) actually mattered and were considered big . Even when I only casually followed college football in 2007 and 2008 , I knew the Rose Bowl was one of the biggest bows to get into. Now when I talk to casual fans they talk about how the Rose Bowl is irrelevant.

Also the fact that only two teams made it to the title game, made the other BCS Bows huge for teams who you could make an argument deserved to play in the title game such as

2000: Miami
2001: Oregon
2003: USC
2004: Auburn
2008: Utah or USC
2011: Oklahoma St
2012: Oregon

So due to this I would even argue that 2000, 2001 , 2003, 2004, 2008, 2012 were all terrible decisions by the BCS and the other BCS Bowls completely highlighted that fact. Now with a Top 4 the number of mistakes go down and you can see it even in that era as every single one of those teams above would have a chance to play for the title and I think in 2012 we win it all and in 2001 we come close to upsetting Miami and in 2003 we wouldnt have that split title BS either .
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Except Ohio State is better. LSU's Defense is VERY suspect.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think Ohio State is the best team. I would love to see them play Clemson. Most everyone would think Ohio State wins that. Clemson has shut down everyone. Yes the fact they not played a real good team would give Ohio State the edge but you know Dabo would have his players ready. It would be an entertaining game.

One caveat though what if Penn State beats Ohio State.