Arroyo to UNLV

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Re: Arroyo to UNLV?

Post by EncinitasDuck »

I'm going the other way and hope he stays. Shough has been working with him for a couple years now and I'd like him to have some coaching consistency through his development. Our team has had enough couching carousel, time for some consistency. And let's all remember we are Pac12 Champs and we're 11-2. Neither of which suck.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Helf is never coming back to Oregon, he hates the Oregon culture. I heard him say it himself.

If Mario was able to upgrade from a good coordinator in Leavitt, then I’m sure I’ll do the same with a subpar coordinator in Arroyo. Arroyo to me is kinda like Frost, someone I thought would be a better HC than OC.
That seems very unlike Helf
Helf didn't know I could hear, he was talking to a trusted person and I overheard cause I'm nosy.

What he hated about the culture was that it was so focused on winning now, no patience for losing, simply win and nothing else. Basically he felt like Oregon wasn't big time enough to be like that and it made it not as fun for the program, coaches, players, and fans.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
Besides, he NEVER called plays at Oregon. Chip ran the offense as HC and Frost ran the offense when Helf was HC.
I would say calling plays in the NFL is good enough experience.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

StevensTechU wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:
Besides, he NEVER called plays at Oregon. Chip ran the offense as HC and Frost ran the offense when Helf was HC.
And I would say he has one of the worst offenses in the nfl. He's simply not a good coach, and he's not a good recruiter.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

StevensTechU wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:
I'm not a Helfrich hater like many on this board, but is he even calling the plays for the Bears? I've always heard Nagy be referred to as the play caller.
perennialduck
One Star Recruit

Post by perennialduck »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

perennialduck wrote:Related?

https://www.unlv.edu/people/yolanda-arroyo
Arroyo is such a common name that I doubt it.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

EncinitasDuck wrote:I'm going the other way and hope he stays. Shough has been working with him for a couple years now and I'd like him to have some coaching consistency through his development. Our team has had enough couching carousel, time for some consistency. And let's all remember we are Pac12 Champs and we're 11-2. Neither of which suck.
That's my worry as well. I hope they get an OC who doesn't change things so much that everyone has to start from scratch again in learning an offense.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

squintsdd wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:
And I would say he has one of the worst offenses in the nfl. He's simply not a good coach, and he's not a good recruiter.
He was talked about being OC of the year last year.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

greenyellow wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:I'm going the other way and hope he stays. Shough has been working with him for a couple years now and I'd like him to have some coaching consistency through his development. Our team has had enough couching carousel, time for some consistency. And let's all remember we are Pac12 Champs and we're 11-2. Neither of which suck.
That's my worry as well. I hope they get an OC who doesn't change things so much that everyone has to start from scratch again in learning an offense.
Mike Bellotti had 6 different offensive coordinators in his 14 years. With a couple of QB's taken in the top 5 it doesn't seem that the change hurt development that much. I expect Mario will keep the same general offensive concept but a few new tweaks could be beneficial.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Helfrich being mentioned for open Colorado State HC position:

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports ... 315744002/

It doesn't look like he is calling plays in Chicago, but he seems heavily involved in the coaching, based on his interviews.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Helfrich hasn’t called plays in like 10 years lol
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Phalanx wrote:Helfrich being mentioned for open Colorado State HC position:

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports ... 315744002/

It doesn't look like he is calling plays in Chicago, but he seems heavily involved in the coaching, based on his interviews.
Yup, Bears head coach Matt Nagy calls their plays. The only time Helfrich has called plays since he arrived at Oregon is when he took over more of the offense towards the end of 2016 from Lubick in a last ditch effort to save that season. The results were not great.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

greenyellow wrote:
If you bring in a good coach, I don't think it is that big of a deal. For the most part, football is football. There are tons of examples of teams changing coordinators for one reason or another and having immediate success with the new guy. Avolos is a perfect example. He implemented his new defense, while doing some little things (such as keeping a lot of the terminology the Ducks had already been using, rather than having to learn his new terminology) that made the transition about as seamless as anyone could hope for. If you hire the right guy at offensive coordinator, I don't think any struggles the team may have next season will be because of the coaching change.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like a deal with Arroyo may have fallen through because LSU DC Dave Aranda is now considered the frontrunner: