Jamie Newman

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: Jamie Newman

Post by GrandpaDuck »

There is something else at play that no one outside of the coaching room really knows. The coaches know Shough, they see him every day in practice. We don't know that evaluation. They are never going to publicly express anything but confidence in him. They may love him or not.

If you want to read tea leafs, a couple things that might indicate they have their doubts about Shough.

1) They did not run Herbert this year except in the key game. This is 100% the coaches and not Herbert. They were not calling true read plays. Towards the end of the year they didn't even bother carrying out the fake to even pretend it was a read. Chip did the same thing with Darron Thomas once Nate Costa went down. He had faith in Costa, he did not have in Bennett. The number of true reads went way down and then the next year they only reappeared in the first conference game (to establish the threat) and the Rose Bowl. when DT was hurt and Mariotta was the backup the read play and QB running was back in full force because the gap between starter and backup was not large.

2) They are looking at a transfer QB. When Herbert was here they didn't entertain a sniff at a transfer QB. If the coaches truly felt Shough was the next Herbert I doubt this thread would even exist.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

I will say I was not pro transfer Qb, however it really shouldn’t matter. The Bottom line is regardless who transfers to Oregon at any position. The Best player will play, if Shough is better than the transfer he will start. It just competition and that’s what football is all about.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Do we have any idea how factual the purported mutual interest really is? It seems a bit strange that a one year grad transfer would select a school without an offensive coordinator.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
2) They are looking at a transfer QB. When Herbert was here they didn't entertain a sniff at a transfer QB. If the coaches truly felt Shough was the next Herbert I doubt this thread would even exist.
While I usually agree with your takes, I don’t on this one. Nobody really knows if the coaches had any conversations with possible transfers during Herbert’s tenure. And I’m not sure it has anything to do with their confidence in Shough. Like many posts above, this could be a great insurance policy. Whether Shough wins or loses the starting position is irrelevant. It is more about zero experience behind whomever ends up starting, if they don’t bring in a grad transfer, or seasoned transfer in general. Millen was limited to even practice this year due to injury.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Watched some Newman tape this morning, and I think one of my main takeaways is that I'm not convinced he would have better receivers at Oregon. Surratt is for sure the best receiver on either roster.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

As we saw in the Rose Bowl and we have known all year, having a QB be a running threat...and actually run adds a whole other dynamic to the team. Newman isn't a burner but can tuck it and run when he needs to. I really like the idea of having an experienced Senior QB on the roster next year.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Came across this write-up from PFF's top 10 returning quarterbacks in college football. Jamie Newman came in at #3.
Jamie Newman recently caused chaos in college football when he unexpectedly announced his decision to transfer from Wake Forest. The decision still looms over what team Newman will be a part of in 2020, but with programs such as Oregon and Oklahoma in need of a replacement, they have to be salivating over the possibility of him joining. Through the first 11 weeks, college football’s highest-graded quarterbacks were Joe Burrow, Justin Fields and Jamie Newman. He ended the year slower than the start, but Newman still is one of college football’s biggest breakout players of the season.

The tight-window passing he has put on display has been next level and a large reason why he is highly sought after on the transfer market. Joe Burrow is far and away the highest-graded quarterback throwing to a tight window, but Newman is second — and third isn’t anywhere near him. He also limited his uncatchable pass rate to the fourth lowest.

Newman has some rushing ability and has seen the eighth-most designed rushes for a quarterback (128). While some may say it’s his rushing that can be his greatest weapon, it’s clearly his arm. He’s the second highest-graded on 20-plus yard throws and was worth the 12th most wins above average in college football, despite playing in fewer games than everyone else. As said, if I’m Oregon or Oklahoma — I’d be sending the house to pick up Newman for the 2020 season.
Source
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Tray Dub wrote:Came across this write-up from PFF's top 10 returning quarterbacks in college football. Jamie Newman came in at #3.
Jamie Newman recently caused chaos in college football when he unexpectedly announced his decision to transfer from Wake Forest. The decision still looms over what team Newman will be a part of in 2020, but with programs such as Oregon and Oklahoma in need of a replacement, they have to be salivating over the possibility of him joining. Through the first 11 weeks, college football’s highest-graded quarterbacks were Joe Burrow, Justin Fields and Jamie Newman. He ended the year slower than the start, but Newman still is one of college football’s biggest breakout players of the season.

The tight-window passing he has put on display has been next level and a large reason why he is highly sought after on the transfer market. Joe Burrow is far and away the highest-graded quarterback throwing to a tight window, but Newman is second — and third isn’t anywhere near him. He also limited his uncatchable pass rate to the fourth lowest.

Newman has some rushing ability and has seen the eighth-most designed rushes for a quarterback (128). While some may say it’s his rushing that can be his greatest weapon, it’s clearly his arm. He’s the second highest-graded on 20-plus yard throws and was worth the 12th most wins above average in college football, despite playing in fewer games than everyone else. As said, if I’m Oregon or Oklahoma — I’d be sending the house to pick up Newman for the 2020 season.
Source
Wow... bring him in!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:Came across this write-up from PFF's top 10 returning quarterbacks in college football. Jamie Newman came in at #3.

Source
Wow... bring him in!
This^^^^
John 3:36
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

I love it, bring him in!

Scenario 1: he wins the job which means he was better than Shough.
Scenario 2: he does not win the job and Shough is better + Oregon has an experienced QB2

Iron sharpens Iron bitches! You want the highest competition at every position. LES RIDE 2020
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

justducky0 wrote:I love it, bring him in!

Scenario 1: he wins the job which means he was better than Shough.
Scenario 2: he does not win the job and Shough is better + Oregon has an experienced QB2

Iron sharpens Iron bitches! You want the highest competition at every position. LES RIDE 2020
There are a lot of snivelers on this board...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

If we bring in Newman and Shough is better we lose nothing more than a roster slot. If Newman is better we win more. No brainer for me. It’s better to develop your own QBs, but winning tips that.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Yes, that’s all nice and good but no good graduate transfer goes to a school where they aren’t given assurances that they’ll start.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Phenom wrote:Yes, that’s all nice and good but no good graduate transfer goes to a school where they aren’t given assurances that they’ll start.
Yep. Despite all the coach speak, top one year players giving up starting spots on their current team go where there is a wink and a nod.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Phenom wrote:Yes, that’s all nice and good but no good graduate transfer goes to a school where they aren’t given assurances that they’ll start.
This^^^