Oregon Marketing? MIA...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

MerDuck
Four Star Recruit

Oregon Marketing? MIA...

Post by MerDuck »

With all of the commotion over the last few years, over what fans should wear to the games especially last year for the Arizona game and this year against USC...is anyone else annoyed that the University cant get some sort of marketing plan together to promote any type of theme?

I mean didn't we hire some huge marketing firm that got us better TV contracts and the new DuckVision... couldn't they help out with this a little.....

Also, isn't one of the big perks about going to school at Oregon as an athlete the Sports Marketing program we offer? What does the lack of marketing to the fan base say about that program...

Basically what I am saying is, I find it hard to believe that the fans in Boise or College State are more enthusiastic about there team spirit then our fans. Those athletic departments just have better marketing plans when it comes to there own fan base...and I think we can do better.
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Re: Oregon Marketing? MIA...

Post by echo31 »

The Ducks are marketed very, very well. I'm not sure that the lack of an organized "black-out" is proof that the marketing is failing.
MerDuck
Four Star Recruit

Post by MerDuck »

Don't get me wrong...I think we are one of the best marketed teams in college football....AND I LOVE IT!

But that is the reason I am so surprised that even last year when they actually planned to have a black out against AZ that t went down so poorly....my question is more like what gives...

They market the team and the players around the country in order to get revenue and recruits...and clearly they do an outstanding job...

But then you look at last years AZ game and you say well the unis were sick and they gave the students hats...but they did a piss poor job of getting the message out to duck fans...no e-mails, no commercials, and most importantly when they did finally announce that they wanted a black out it was like 2 days before the game and only us really die hard fans knew about it...

I think they need to do a little better job about keeping the fans at home fired up about the games and organize things like black outs or yellow outs ...or something

Really I am just dying for Saturday to get here and I can't think of anything else to say on any other subject so I just typed what I was thinking...
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

I agree that they could definitely do a better job of organizing these types of events, but you would almost have to hand out a shirt to everyone as they enter the stadium, or print it on the tickets. Even then, you would get a lot of older fans not participating.
MerDuck
Four Star Recruit

Post by MerDuck »

echo31 wrote:I agree that they could definitely do a better job of organizing these types of events, but you would almost have to hand out a shirt to everyone as they enter the stadium, or print it on the tickets. Even then, you would get a lot of older fans not participating.
Ya you would probably get some people that wouldn't do it...but you have to wonder how Penn St. does the white out... or how Boise St. gets the Blue-Orange-Blue section by section.....
I think it would be cool to try...

And who am I ... I am sure the is a better Idea for a themed weekend than just a "(Insert color choice here)-Out"

Get some of these marketing guys together and do some marketing locally in order to make sure we keep the local fans interested...
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

echo31 wrote:I agree that they could definitely do a better job of organizing these types of events, but you would almost have to hand out a shirt to everyone as they enter the stadium, or print it on the tickets. Even then, you would get a lot of older fans not participating.

Ive been a season ticket holder for 9 years, and been attending games since the mid 80's and never once have I heard the AD get involved with any sort of fan participation event. With all the marketing that they DO do it doesnt seem that hard to put something together... maybe since AZ was such a failure last year they've decided to bag the idea...

Im still wearing black, as well as everyone else I know thats going to the game...

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
MerDuck
Four Star Recruit

Post by MerDuck »

uodux1212 wrote:Ive been a season ticket holder for 9 years, and been attending games since the mid 80's and never once have I heard the AD get involved with any sort of fan participation event. With all the marketing that they DO do it doesnt seem that hard to put something together... maybe since AZ was such a failure last year they've decided to bag the idea...

Im still wearing black, as well as everyone else I know thats going to the game...
The only reason AZ was a failure was because they did such a poor job of marketing the idea...only die hard duck fans that looked up the info online found out about it the week before the game...and then like Thursday night from one of Jerry's shows or something they announced it and that was it...it was in the paper once...the effort was at best pathetic!
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

Instead of tee-shirts, maybe they should promote that everyone dress in black ponchos at the game...! Seriously, Nike could afford to hand out a black tee-shirt, hat or whatever as each fan walks in the gate. Being that this game will be on tv and Game Day will be there, it would be great exposure for Nike!
Last edited by goducks on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Notice the plane that we flew on?
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

goducks wrote:Instead of tee-shirts, maybe they should promote that everyone dress in black ponchos at the game...! Seriously, Nike could afford to hand out a black tee-shirt, hat or whatever aso each fan walks in the gate. Being that this game will be on tv and Game Day it would be great exposure for Nike!

These are pretty sweet... black UO ponchos (available in green or black)
http://www.pupponchos.com/pages/oregon- ... tball.html

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK