#8 in Coaches Poll

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Re: #8 in Coaches Poll

Post by Oregonian »

uo2010 wrote: That is not how it works. We had our chance to be undefeated and blew it. If you go undefeated you deserve to be ranked over someone has a loss. That is the way its always been. Overall record has been more important than who is "hot" at the end of the year.
That's not how it works either. The best team over their body of work is how it's supposed to be and Oregon's defeats of #16 Utah, #24 Cal, #13 USC far outrank any of the blowouts over medicore WAC squads and a piss-poor homefield win in Week 1 over Oregon (I'm not saying BSU didn't beat us outright, but nobody was impressed by how either team played that game).

It's unfortunate for Boise that they played us when they did and are in the conference they're in, but that's the reality of it. You try to get the best teams to play the best, and Oregon has proved it on the field far more than Boise ever possibly can this year.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

I wish more coaches weren't afraid to move teams up and down on the basis of how they're playing at the time. That's the main problem with the polls IMO. Can anyone in their right mind say that after watching Iowa the last few weeks that they are a better team than Oregon?!? The polls shouldn't be static, college football teams are dynamic entities, it's possibe to IMPROVE over the course of a season and vise versa (even without "losing"). The status quo in the voting shouldn't have to be the end all.

After watching a lot of football over the few weeks I'd say this Duck team is just as good or BETTER than all the teams ahead of us with the possible exception of UT. That might be a bold statement, but it's probably the truth givin the level at which we've been playing.

If you don't buy what in saying I know a few teams in CA and WA that might be able to help you out.

Go Ducks

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

Pontius wrote:
uo2010 wrote:

That is not how it works. We had our chance to be undefeated and blew it. If you go undefeated you deserve to be ranked over someone has a loss. That is the way its always been. Overall record has been more important than who is "hot" at the end of the year.

You have a very poor recall of history. Utah has been undefeated twice in the past 5-6 years and didn't play in the BCSCG when one loss teams did. Same thing with Boise St. Get a clue and stop pretending like you know s***.
Thats because they are not in BCS conferences.
I was BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT
swanriver
One Star Recruit

Post by swanriver »

Any voter ranking BS ahead of the Ducks must be pretending time stood still week one.

This weeks poll should rank teams primarily on how they have played over the entire season to date. Head to head is important, more important is rankings teams for how good they are TODAY.

If the Ducks played BS tomorrow, BS gets blown away..its folly to vote any other way.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

At least we are the highest ranked 1 loss team. Can't argue with that.

Now let's just keep winning, and hopefully some teams in front of us start losing.

TCU still has Utah. Iowa still has tOSU. Cincinnati still has Pittsburgh. Alabama still has LSU. And Texas, Florida still have their championship games.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

I can sorta see why they have the undefeated teams ahead of us but they had USC ahead of a few undefeated teams last week so that still bs... i'm sure they are all just saying well obviously USC isn't the 4th best team in the country so Oregon doesn't deserve to be moved up. Had it been Boise that beat them though they would all be saying oh my god Boist st. must be the best team in the country.
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

uo2010 wrote:
Pontius wrote:
uo2010 wrote:

That is not how it works. We had our chance to be undefeated and blew it. If you go undefeated you deserve to be ranked over someone has a loss. That is the way its always been. Overall record has been more important than who is "hot" at the end of the year.

You have a very poor recall of history. Utah has been undefeated twice in the past 5-6 years and didn't play in the BCSCG when one loss teams did. Same thing with Boise St. Get a clue and stop pretending like you know s***.
Thats because they are not in BCS conferences.
Don't change your story. By your logic then, Oregon should be ranked ahead of TCU and BSU, which is not at all what you were advocating.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Pontius, BSU and Utah have been penalized for not being in BCS conferences. Their SOS have really hurt them by the time the final BCS poll came out. The human pollsters will have an inherent bias towards team from BCS conferences even if the non-BCS schools may be the better team. About the only way they can get nullify that bias is to schedule all of the non-conference games against BCS schools and win.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

Ah #8? i was expecting somewhat between 5-8 But its okay, Oregon just have to continue winning to prove that they earn top 5 spot.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

I find it interesting that when we beat ranked teams ( cal, sc, ut) they weren't "that good", but when other teams beat ranked teams it's because they're a solid football team.

Same goes for winning games with D and special teams... When we win games with big plays from our D or ST we "needed D and ST" to win. When Alabama wins with D and ST they are "balanced". Such BS. Alabama hasn't had an offensive TD in something like their last 9 quarters. Lame.

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I think voters are having a really tough time ranking us. Not only do they have to deal with whether there should be a BSU ceiling, they have to figure out whether undefeated teams from BCS conferences should be jumped by a one-loss team that just pounded USC. I think most people think we're better than #7 or #8, but they have trouble justifying ranking us higher than that. Just speculation though.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Lets not cheapen this guys.. USC looked like that because we are a great team and made them look bad... They will not lose another game this year i am positive about it. And that will just make our game look that much better. On the flip side our defense wont see a better offense so I don't expect us to give up more than 20 points a game from here on out.
Chip flat out out coached Petey thats got to be hard to swallow for him.
spinseeker
Freshman

Post by spinseeker »

Part of the problem is, when we get rolling, it doesn't matter who we're playing. Our offense just makes teams look like they can't tackle and miss assignments. How could they be a top ten team if we just utterly destroy them? They don't realize that anyone could have been on the otherside of us and would have looked just as bad.

Look at OS last year: one of the top ranked defenses in the country and we made them look like a high school team. USC this year, same result. Cal this year, same result. UW... The list goes on.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

uo2010 wrote:still a long ways to go if we keep winning we will keep moving up. I have no doubt that we will jump Boise st
We may pass them in the BCS, but not in the human polls. We need the undefeated teams ahead of us to lose.

Why not pass Boise in human polls? Ohio State just jumped USC even though the Trojans beat them head to head? :?: :?:

I believe there are some coaches who "dislike" the Ducks for beating them on the field or for going after the same recruits.