We are 8 in the BCS

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: We are 8 in the BCS

Post by duckgrad99 »

]

People realized how overrated SC is. They have played three bad games in a row. The win isnt as impressive to the rest of the nation.[/quote]

Not impressive to the rest of the nation? Take a look at what USC has done lately. USC would still beat most teams in the country.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

duckgrad99 wrote:And if opponents aren't going to matter, Oregon should schedule out of conference teams like Portland State and 2 other cupcakes every season. Apparently, playing Boise St, Utah and Purdue made no difference. I don't like the fact that we play a team like Tennessee in the future. What's really to gain there except for bragging rights?
agreed especially since were about to be a team that imo is going to be preseason top ten consistently... we can schedule cupcakes and then be fine if we win out. after this year i think people around the county are gonna think of the pac ten as usc and oregon just just usc...
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

duckgrad99 wrote:And if opponents aren't going to matter, Oregon should schedule out of conference teams like Portland State and 2 other cupcakes every season. Apparently, playing Boise St, Utah and Purdue made no difference. I don't like the fact that we play a team like Tennessee in the future. What's really to gain there except for bragging rights?
I agree. More stock needs to be put into OOC schedules, because otherwise how can the SEC ever look bad? Here' the cycle:

1. Entire SEC plays cupcakes, conference is hailed as being on another level because all teams are undefeated
2. SEC beats up on itself during the year, is lauded as 'deep', which consequentially excuses the OOC scheduling
3. SEC team goes to the championship and wins because they play Ohio State in the All-Overrated bowl
4. Repeat next season!

I'm really sick of it. UCLA, who is 0-5 in our league, beat Tennessee, who scared Florida and just beat South Carolina. Washington hung with LSU, who is supposed to be one of the great SEC teams. And that's the extent of them playing the Pac-10. And yet it's somehow a given that they're a better conference than us? Bullshit.
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

If we get to the point where we are preseason top 5, the we can schedule cupcakes for our non conference games. Until then though, we need quality wins if we are going to move up into the top 2 (just like Cinci and Iowa wont be able to pass Texas this year).
I was BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

uo2010 wrote:
If we get to the point where we are preseason top 5, the we can schedule cupcakes for our non conference games. Until then though, we need quality wins if we are going to move up into the top 2 (just like Cinci and Iowa wont be able to pass Texas this year).

I think beating USC, Cal and Utah qualifies and quality wins. Anyway, there is still a lot of season left. I just cannot stand how screwed up the bcs is, even if Oregon isn't a part of the equation. I just don't understand how a bunch of computers can decide a sporting event.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

This.
We play Montana week 1 and we are ranked top 3 right now..we beat Boise, we would be ranked the same prolly.
OOC means nothing to the BCS, and it is a shame.
Essentially voters are saying Iowa is better because they beat N Iowa by 1 and we lost at Boise by 11.
Why did the BCS go away from the quality win part of their formula?
Playoff Please.
MerDuck
Four Star Recruit

Post by MerDuck »

Tray Dub wrote:I don't know what to think about this. I think we're one of the top three best teams in the country, but we're also not undefeated. It's hard to knock any team down below us that hasn't lost, especially if they've beaten us.

It all comes down to this question: do you rank teams by how good you think they are or by how impressive their resume is?
You shouldn't rank teams on their resume......they should be ranked based on how they played in their last game or two...the NC is supposed to have the best teams at the end of the season in it...not the ones with the best resume...if it is supposed to be a true championship....I know we don't have a real post season (playoff) but the NC Game was put in place to basically represent that and if you have a playoff, the best teams all play against each other so it doesn't matter what happened early in the season...it only matters what happens at the end!

what ever, even if we win out, if the right teams (Texas, Florida, and Alabama ) all still have to lose for anything big to happen...that is the only time the polls will matter!
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

duckgrad99 wrote:
uo2010 wrote:

I think beating USC, Cal and Utah qualifies and quality wins. Anyway, there is still a lot of season left. I just cannot stand how screwed up the bcs is, even if Oregon isn't a part of the equation. I just don't understand how a bunch of computers can decide a sporting event.
Those are quality wins. And if we were undefeated we would be fourth right now in the BCS. The point is that unless we are a preseason top 5 team, we need to not only go undefeated (in years when there are multiple undefeated teams), but also beat quality teams out of conference. We do not have the reputation yet to schedule nothing but cupcakes.
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

DmoneyDuck wrote:
This.
We play Montana week 1 and we are ranked top 3 right now..we beat Boise, we would be ranked the same prolly.
OOC means nothing to the BCS, and it is a shame.
Essentially voters are saying Iowa is better because they beat N Iowa by 1 and we lost at Boise by 11.
Why did the BCS go away from the quality win part of their formula?
Playoff Please.
If we played Montana instead of Boise in week one we would not be ranked in the top 3. Are strength of schedule would not be nearly as good (add Montana and subtract BSU). Voters would not put us above Florida, Alabama, and Texas. Especially because Florida is the defending champions, Texas dominated Okahoma State, and Alabama will beat LSU this week.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Moral of the story: Until we win a national title or a few Rose Bowls, we will never be given the benefit of the doubt like the SC's & Oklahoma's. Pollsters hate being wrong so until you prove to them you won't let them down, the will never take a chance & jump on your bandwagon.
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Moral of the story: Until we win a national title or a few Rose Bowls, we will never be given the benefit of the doubt like the SC's & Oklahoma's. Pollsters hate being wrong so until you prove to them you won't let them down, the will never take a chance & jump on your bandwagon.
And the one year they did ('07) we burned them by falling apart after Dixon went down.
freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Post by freedjr »

Umm...have you guys seen next year's OOC schedule? New Mexico St., Portland St. and Tennessee. Not exactly murderer's row. Perfect: a not so good BCS team, an easy FCS win, and a hopefully easy big-name win.

And yes, we're the highest ranked 1 loss team. What more can you ask for? We haven't done anything to "deserve" more. Yes, we've been kicking butt recently but not on the scale USC has the last 7 years.

Keep playing the way we have in the next few years and I guarantee a 1 loss Ducks team will still be in the top 5. We'll earn it, but we still have a ways to go.

If we go undefeated the rest of the way this year, we get a top 10 ranking next year, which leads to more leeway and NC consideration.
gregspechtismyhero
Freshman

Post by gregspechtismyhero »

Tray Dub wrote:
gregspechtismyhero wrote:Calm down everyone. The rankings are like golf, just like it's easy to go from shooting 100 to shooting an 85, it's easy to move from 25 to 10, but shooting an 80 or below takes a lot of work. aka getting into the top 5 is not going to be easy. Don't whine about rankings. stay focused on Stanford and Win the Day.
:lol: Thanks Chip. But since we're fans, we're allowed to not be entirely focused on each week and look at the big picture. It doesn't actually affect our team. I guarantee you, they don't give a s*** if we whine about rankings or if we start talking about the big Arizona game or whatever.

I do, however, agree that we shouldn't whine too much. Not because we need to stay focused, but because nobody remembers week 10's rankings. They remember the final two: the ones before the bowls and the ones after. Too much will change in the next few weeks to get too concerned.
haha no problem :D my main point was with a young team like this, they tend feed off the energy of the fan base. Luckily we have Chip who is obviously not concerned about rankings. Just throwing in a comment that's not totally bashing the BCS system haha
In Helfrich, Frost, and Allioti we trust
Image (USA Today Sports)
AIM: hockeygoalie923
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Everyone ahead is undefeated so it makes sense. However Oregon will leapfrog a couple teams by the end of the season even if no one loses, although Alabama or Florida will at least lose since if they win out they will play in the SEC championship. Plus there is a good chance Iowa and Cincinnati lose.
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

gofightingducks wrote:Everyone ahead is undefeated so it makes sense. However Oregon will leapfrog a couple teams by the end of the season even if no one loses, although Alabama or Florida will at least lose since if they win out they will play in the SEC championship. Plus there is a good chance Iowa and Cincinnati lose.

I hope Iowa wins out. It will be a much more impressive win that way when we blow them out in the Rose Bowl. It would be awful if a two loss OSU beats them and we have to play them instead. We would get no respect for that win.